Love It or List It Lawsuit

asta

DIS Veteran
There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about the HGTV remodeling shows. This lawsuit really shines light on what goes behind the TV cameras.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article72350402.html

I am not surprised but would think that the people selected to be on the show's would have to sign something that keeps them from disclosing the details. (Edited to add that they did sign something but are going public anyway.)

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about the HGTV remodeling shows. This lawsuit really shines light on what goes behind the TV cameras.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article72350402.html

I am not surprised but would think that the people selected to be on the show's would have to sign something that keeps them from disclosing the details. (Edited to add that they did sign something but are going public anyway.)

I read about that yesterday-frankly I'm not surprised b/c there have been issues with these home makeover shows for years. I recall an issue w/ one show that aired in the 90's wherein someone purchased a home, started having some issues with it (deep issues not discovered through inspection) and later learned from a neighbor that the home had been featured on one of the makeover shows. the purchasers through watching a rerun episode of the show learned that there were HORRENDOUS issues with the 'bones' of the home (including some previous black mold:scared1:) and ended up in a lawsuit w/the seller b/c the show clearly showed who did the work-and several of the subcontracted companies weren't licensed (or in the case of the mold-certified) to do the work. if I remember right the sellers ended up going after the show-no idea what happened.

I think homeowners on these shows just ASSUME that everything is on the up and up legally permit/licensing wise and see it as a financial windfall-much like the homeowners who were featured on extreme home makeover and subsequently lost their homes b/c they didn't take into consideration how their local property taxes would be affected (let alone utility and homeowner's insurance bills with extra bathrooms, built in pools/spas and more square footage with higher ceilings).

I thought it was interesting about how the production company was claiming the people on the show are just portraying what they present themselves to be b/c in adam carolla's book 'not taco bell material' he talks of interacting with ty pennington, and how corolla (VERY experienced in construction) was floored at pennington's lack of basic construction knowledge despite they way he was portrayed on tv.

I thought we all knew these shows were fantasy... I'm only the daughter of a contractor, but there are major issues (structural, for example) they "discover" mid-project that no genuine contractor wouldn't have foreseen or looked for prior to even starting. Experienced contractors don't just start tearing entire walls down without knowing if they'll be able to actually complete a project (they might create some strategic openings to get a look at a situation...)
Even the way they demo... they create MORE work and labor costs with the methods they use to demo rooms. A sledgehammer is NOT the primary tool of de-construction. It's much easier and neater to remove four screws and carry a kitchen cabinet out of a house than to smash it into bits and have to sweep, scoop and dump that mess. A reciprocating saw will cut through nails to remove a stud in seconds, but they bash away with sledgehammers repeatedly, wasting energy and time. I've always assumed those scenes were just for film.

Speaking of fake, ever seen the Sledgehammer show? Where they will renovate whatever the homeowners can bash down in 30 minutes. lol. NO chance that isn't fake. I've demo-ed rooms. You don't dismantle ANY room in 30 minutes.

Gotta admit, I do love watching the renovations though. lol.

I like the part where the production company says that the homeowners are not really paying for renovations but for Love It or List It to construct a set for their show. If I'm spending $140,000, I want more than a set in my home. That's interesting about Ty Pennington's lack of knowledge, but I guess it's not really surprising since those shows usually have off air people who actually do most of the work.

I knew it was a fake because if you watch enough you'll see the same house will show up as "for sale" in different episodes. Also if you google Love It or List It you will find many articles stating how the home owners are always presented with the here is what you are really going to get contract and then are told we are going to say this and this on camera and need you to act like it is a make or break it situation for the drama effect but really you were never getting it in the first place on that budget. They almost never list it on love it or list it but the producers film the families saying both endings then decide when they put the season together how many list its vs love it to edit in.

I thought we all knew these shows were fantasy... I'm only the daughter of a contractor, but there are major issues (structural, for example) they "discover" mid-project that no genuine contractor wouldn't have foreseen or looked for prior to even starting. Experienced contractors don't just start tearing entire walls down without knowing if they'll be able to actually complete a project (they might create some strategic openings to get a look at a situation...)
Even the way they demo... they create MORE work and labor costs with the methods they use to demo rooms. A sledgehammer is NOT the primary tool of de-construction. It's much easier and neater to remove four screws and carry a kitchen cabinet out of a house than to smash it into bits and have to sweep, scoop and dump that mess. A reciprocating saw will cut through nails to remove a stud in seconds, but they bash away with sledgehammers repeatedly, wasting energy and time. I've always assumed those scenes were just for film.

Speaking of fake, ever seen the Sledgehammer show? Where they will renovate whatever the homeowners can bash down in 30 minutes. lol. NO chance that isn't fake. I've demo-ed rooms. You don't dismantle ANY room in 30 minutes.

Gotta admit, I do love watching the renovations though. lol.

It depends on your kitchen. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen and its in an older home. The cabinets are built into the plaster wall. No screws and no backs to the cabinets (back of the cabinet is the wall). They came out just the way you see on TV, with a sledgehammer and crowbar. It was the only way to get them out.

It depends on your kitchen. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen and its in an older home. The cabinets are built into the plaster wall. No screws and no backs to the cabinets (back of the cabinet is the wall). They came out just the way you see on TV, with a sledgehammer and crowbar. It was the only way to get them out.

True enough, but most of the kitchens on these shows are not that old and you can literally see the 3-4 screws in the back of the cabinet as they hammer away. lol. I've seen a few where there were LAYERS of tile. Oy. I'm sure they needed a sledge for that. :eek:
We also live in an older home which we've renovated over the years. Hammers and Sledgehammers are good for lath/plaster removal, and chimneys also. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter