Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

Ok.......I'm glad we never went then.........

We always found Texas de Brazil far too loud to be enjoyable........this place sounds the same. I'm sorry you both didn't enjoy it the way you should have.......

Dessert did look nice.......but you can get decent desserts anywhere.

Can't wait to hear about your Gringotts experience :rolleyes1

Well, that is how long it has been since I posted.......I posted it twice (ha), sorry about that... I thought I lost it, so I retyped it...

Sorry to hijack, but if you have any specific beach places or restaurants for New Smyrna could you PM me the details as this was on our list for July. Thanks :goodvibes

Loving this review! We might just have to try Hash House A Go Go now, after your awesome review. I hadn't heard of this place before! :worship:

Ok, so I am putting Hash House on my list to try and making note not to try Knife. That whole experience does not sound like something I would enjoy and I am not a big buffet person to begin with. I hate when I feel uncomfortable somewhere or like I don't know what my options are- that is the worst!

A balloon lady? That's odd alright! I could see singers if they were just wandering around, not sitting at the table!

Sounds like you were very happy to get this discounted price on this one.

The fact that it was a deeply discounted meal (less than half price) definitely softened the sting of our disappointment.

And honest, I have nothing personal against balloon ladies :rotfl: ... at Cici's, I might just ask for them to make a hat for me, too :teeth: . At The Knife, not so much!!

That restaurant sounds very...ummm...odd. Glad for the groupon there!

Amen! ::yes::

Ok.......I'm glad we never went then.........

We always found Texas de Brazil far too loud to be enjoyable........this place sounds the same. I'm sorry you both didn't enjoy it the way you should have.......

Dessert did look nice.......but you can get decent desserts anywhere.

Can't wait to hear about your Gringotts experience :rolleyes1

We always do take out from Buffalo Wild Wing for the same reason. Too many screens, too much noise, WAY too much stimulation.....I have a migraine before I ever finish my meal.

A bit of a spoiler on Gringotts, but you'll be proud of me, schumi ;).

Loving this review! We might just have to try Hash House A Go Go now, after your awesome review. I hadn't heard of this place before! :worship:

Hang tight, Hash House review #2 (this time, for breakfast) will be coming up later in this report. Stay tuned. And welcome to the thread! :goodvibes

Ok, so I am putting Hash House on my list to try and making note not to try Knife. That whole experience does not sound like something I would enjoy and I am not a big buffet person to begin with. I hate when I feel uncomfortable somewhere or like I don't know what my options are- that is the worst!

I really think it would be a better experience if it was similar to Fogo de Chao, which brings the meat right to your table.

Does that make me sound lazy? :confused: lol, I think it does! :rotfl2:

I was picturing The Knife to be more like Texas de Brazil (ate at the downtown Chicago one a couple years back for a company meeting-wonderful food) where they bring the meat on giant skewers to you.

Gringotts! can't wait!

Not one for me! How weird to find someone suddenly sat at your table singing :scared1:

Having said that, many moons ago we went to a newly opened Italian on the 192 to find that some of the waiters would burst into a quick operatic serenade at your table. Needless to say it is now closed and we never returned!

I always forget about sites like groupon.. Granted, we don't travel all that much and there never seems to be much available to use around here. Something to think about in the future! :)

I am surprised that things weren't labeled.. I would also find that frustrating since I have particular dietary restrictions. As a parent of young children, I think I would be thrilled at the idea of balloon animals because we rarely have the opportunity to go out by ourselves.. of course, that is probably also why we never go to upscale restaurants! LOL! The most upscale place we ever took our kids was The Melting Pot and I thought for sure that we were going to burn the place down before it was all said and done! We try to stick with casual.. But yeah, balloon animals at a nice place would seem strange to me too! As for the singing... I don't know. Part of me thinks it would be cool (especially if he were any good) and part of me would feel uncomfortable. Glad that poor guy didn't have to get punched in the face by your husband! ROFL! I giggled when I pictured it in my mind. It also sounds like something MY hubs would say!

Well when I last left you we were on page 5....not sure why I didn't receive any notifications. Oh well, page 5-9 was a nice afternoon read with a cup of tea.

The abbreviated version....
yes, I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl
I know exactly which Waffle House you went too and even from the outside it looks sketchy
LOOOOVE IHOP....we've been to many of them in various states....guaranteed good food
never heard of Hash House but it looks amazing and I will need to try it
super cute bathing suit
Steve-o was looking pretty red in that post beach lunch pic
I had heard of The Knife and might have gone but after reading your thoughts on it I think I'll pass....too bad it sounds good on paper

I was picturing The Knife to be more like Texas de Brazil (ate at the downtown Chicago one a couple years back for a company meeting-wonderful food) where they bring the meat on giant skewers to you.

Gringotts! can't wait!

If they brought the meat to the table, it would have made the experience much, much better ::yes:: .

Not one for me! How weird to find someone suddenly sat at your table singing :scared1:

Having said that, many moons ago we went to a newly opened Italian on the 192 to find that some of the waiters would burst into a quick operatic serenade at your table. Needless to say it is now closed and we never returned!

Its a good concept, but difficult to carry out in practice. The music to one person's ears is often a piecing wail to another!

I always forget about sites like groupon.. Granted, we don't travel all that much and there never seems to be much available to use around here. Something to think about in the future! :)

I am surprised that things weren't labeled.. I would also find that frustrating since I have particular dietary restrictions. As a parent of young children, I think I would be thrilled at the idea of balloon animals because we rarely have the opportunity to go out by ourselves.. of course, that is probably also why we never go to upscale restaurants! LOL! The most upscale place we ever took our kids was The Melting Pot and I thought for sure that we were going to burn the place down before it was all said and done! We try to stick with casual.. But yeah, balloon animals at a nice place would seem strange to me too! As for the singing... I don't know. Part of me thinks it would be cool (especially if he were any good) and part of me would feel uncomfortable. Glad that poor guy didn't have to get punched in the face by your husband! ROFL! I giggled when I pictured it in my mind. It also sounds like something MY hubs would say!

lol, thankfully he didn't mean it (well, I sure hope he didn't, anyway!!) but yeah, it made me giggle when I pictured it too :laughing: .

We love Groupon, its our go-to site when we're planning trips. We have snagged a ton of great deals through that site (and a dud or two, as well, unfortunately......like The Knife!).

Well when I last left you we were on page 5....not sure why I didn't receive any notifications. Oh well, page 5-9 was a nice afternoon read with a cup of tea.

The abbreviated version....
yes, I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl
I know exactly which Waffle House you went too and even from the outside it looks sketchy
LOOOOVE IHOP....we've been to many of them in various states....guaranteed good food
never heard of Hash House but it looks amazing and I will need to try it
super cute bathing suit
Steve-o was looking pretty red in that post beach lunch pic
I had heard of The Knife and might have gone but after reading your thoughts on it I think I'll pass....too bad it sounds good on paper

Sheesh, here I thought I had bored you so badly that you left and decided not to return!

Welcome back :teeth: . You were missed.

Interesting dining! Quite a story. Hope no more issues.
I too stalk groupon and living social for deals. I also got a restaurant.com deal for house of blues at DTD which will save us a lot.

Last edited:
Sheesh, here I thought I had bored you so badly that you left and decided not to return!

Welcome back :teeth: . You were missed.

Bored???? NEVER!!!! Don't forget I'm reading my summer vacation and so far I'm having a great time. Foods not bad either...tastes like chicken.

Missed you too :upsidedow and just because I like this guy but have absolutely no use for him--> :crutches:

Interesting dining! Quite a story. Hope no more issues.
I too stalk groupon and living social for deals. I also got a restaurant.com deal for house of blues at DTD which will save us a lot.

We had only two meals this trip that disappointed us. The Knife was one.....you'll have to stay tuned for the other!

Bored???? NEVER!!!! Don't forget I'm reading my summer vacation and so far I'm having a great time. Foods not bad either...tastes like chicken.

Missed you too :upsidedow and just because I like this guy but have absolutely no use for him--> :crutches:

lol, I'm not sure anyone would have any use for that emoticon!

Sunday, May 3rd: part 1

The good thing about being early risers by nature is that we never had trouble getting up and going in time for rope drop. Again Sunday morning, we were wide awake as the sun rose, and knowing that Diagon Alley was beckoning, we wasted no time in getting up, showered, fed and dressed.

Breakfast was a quick one in the villa....we had made a speedy pit stop on arrival day at Publix and picked up cream, sugar, cereal, milk, juice, yogurt, bananas, and some bottled water....and we had had the foresight when we were packing to bring along travel mugs for our coffee, so we took that to-go and enjoyed our Timmies en route to the park.

Travel time from resort to the parking garage was fast and easy: we pulled out of the Vistana at 8:04 am, and were at the front gates of Universal at 8:26 am. Zero backlogs on the I4. Our Premier AP’s entitled us to free preferred parking.....a value of $25 each day (note we could have also chosen free valet with our passes), which was a nice perk. They opened the park a full half hour before the scheduled 9 am opening time (which we had anticipated, thanks to the great info gleaned here on the Dis) and we made our way straight to Diagon Alley.

The first order of business for the morning, as you might suspect, was Escape from Gringotts. Not a fan of drops....ANY drops, big or small....I am not ashamed to admit I was terrified to ride this ride. My fears, though, were greatly outweighed by my desire to fully experience this new section of the park, and I suspected I would regret a decision to pass the opportunity by. So with my heart pounding so hard I could hear it in my ears, we stowed our stuff in a locker and we entered the queue. And there was no turning back.

Every little detail was incredible, and I was blown away by how well done the inside of the bank was. It was truly amazing, and executed so perfectly that if Harry Potter had walked around the corner and appeared with wand in hand, I wouldn’t have been at all surprised. Oddly enough, though, there was no line for this attraction at all, and once we entered the bank, we never stopped moving......the ride itself was a walk-on. I guess it pays to get up early (and travel in the off season) after all!

And the ride? Well, my pre-vacation research had prepared me for what to expect as far as the initial drop went, and it helped to know that once that was over, there were no further “big thrills” to concern myself with, which allowed me to relax after that little part of terror was over. I think Steve might still have my finger nail marks in his arm to this day (sorry, Steve-o). No, it wasn’t a huge drop and yes, it was over quickly but all the same, this was a major accomplishment for me and definitely outside of my normal comfort zone. The rest of the ride?......So. Very. Amazing. I was in awe. And Steve (a huge thrill seeker) was also duly impressed. I was sorry when it was over. No kidding.

And so...........we rode it again! :banana:

By the time we rode, exited, and entered the line a second time, the posted wait had gone from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, but still an excellent wait time nonetheless. We were a little closer to the front on the second ride (3rd row versus 6th row) and it was just as awesome as the first.

Collecting our loose items from the locker, we toured around Diagon Alley for a little while longer, visiting Knockturn Alley:

....poking around the shops, and just soaking in the atmosphere and all the little details that make this area so freakishly amazing.

Eventually, we made our way out to the London waterfront to check out the Knight Bus:

There was virtually no line to meet the Knight Bus Conductor....perhaps maybe two families in front of us. The conductor was awesome, and spent quite a bit of time chatting us up. He was very in character which was simply fabulous too!

The Shrunken Head was equally as awesome, and carried on a very animated conversation in his wonderful Jamaican accent. The people behind those voices have some very sharp wit....he didn’t miss a beat with his come-backs and smart remarks:

We had already seen so much, and the morning had just begun :cool1:.

As always, our plan was not to plan (aside from hitting Gringotts and DA first, so as to avoid the crowds), so we had no itinerary or schedule to follow. We would tour as the spirit moved us....and the spirit moved us next to Men in Black. Happily, it was another walk-on.

This was a ride I passed on during our first trip to Universal in 2012, but I was pretty sure (after much more recent research) that I was quite capable of not only riding, but enjoying. And despite having never seen Men in Black (its Steve’s kind of movie, but definitely not mine) the ride was well themed and very fun. You can see from our ride picture that we were obviously taking the whole experience very seriously....there were aliens to destroy, after all!

Strangely enough, Steve will ride Hulk and not bat an eyelash, but spinnie rides can really get him feeling rather unwell. The spins at the end of MIB, not surprisingly, had a bit of a negative effect on him, and he exited the ride feeling a tad icky. As we strolled toward the Simpsons area, we decided to grab a bottle of water....and maybe a snack....to help settle his stomach.

I see a Big Pink Donut in our future!

More to come! :)

Wow on your dining experience at the knife! That's insane, I would not want to return there either, but makes me wonder if you were a full price paying customer if they would treat ya better?? Of course their service seems bad enough the only way they can get people through the door is through a groupon/similar site! Oy!

We are heading down in a little less than 3 weeks now, we have 3 park days and the rest at our resort, but are thinking of a beach day too. I was thinking maybe Ft. Desoto seems close-ish to the area.

So glad you decided to ridge Gringotts! My fam is huge HP fans, so we are very much looking forward to the WWoHP in all it's glory :)

Now that I have finally caught up, looking forward to hearing about your Big Pink Donut!

Thanks, pcstang .... I will definitely check it out :thumbsup2 . Clearwater beach gets a lot of love on the Orlando Hotels & Attractions board, so it was already on my short-list to research. Great minds think alike :) .

We visited Clearwater during Christmas week last year and had a fab time. I loved Clearwater Marine Aquarium - especially since we had watched the movies. It was so wonderful to see how they cared for injured animals. Not a fancy place but so sweet. And seeing Winter in real life was amazing.

Then we followed it up with a dolphin cruise on Little Toot. One of the most exhilarating, incredible experiences of my life to be on a little boat with pod of wild dolphins playing in our wake for a good 5 minutes. Then we found a 2nd pod. We could practically reach out and touch them.Best of all, price was very reasonable...like $30ish pp. It was just long enough as we returned to shore just before we started getting seasick.

Unfortunately, it drizzled and rained much of our trip so the beach was out :(

Yay Gina.........way to go on Gringotts :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Glad you made and enjoyed it too.........we thought it was an amazing ride.....but if I was being picky.......it needed more thrills.......lol.......but we love drops!!

Definitely consider Clearwater......although we have been to other places on the Gulf Coast, prettier places I suppose we still really like it.......and it has Crabby Bills and Frenchy's Rockaway Grill which are worth the journey alone......

Thinking of Anna Maria Island this year for a visit.

What a lovely day though.......waiting for more Gina.......:thumbsup2

Very proud of you for braving Gringotts. Way to take one for the team:cheer2:

That pink donut looks like it could feed a small country.

I actually feel sorry for the people at The Knife. I suspect it may be family-run, and the restaurant business is SO hard. My neighbors own a restaurant, and I see the hours and effort they have to put into it. It seems like The Knife may be failing. They are using all the sites with coupons to draw customers (but then are a little disappointed when they show up and are not full-paying), plus they are pulling out all the stops on what they think will attract tourists with the singing and the balloon lady. We had a balloon guy come to our table at Chevy's in Orlando--a more appropriate venue--and it was a blast! Still, when it is all said and done, you have to put good food on the plate and make the customers comfortable. Not everyone who wants to run a restaurant should run one.

We visit a local family-owned Brazilian steakhouse, and it is awesome when they bring round after round of skewered meats to the table! I hope you all will get another chance to experience it soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter