Lots of time before flight departure--what to do?

BlakeNJ

DIS Veteran
We are looking at a return flight of 7pm based on the fact that we can use airline miles. What do most families do with all this extra time once off the boat? We are crunching numbers to see if its best to rent a car, stay local overnight then shuttle back to hotel to have the car for the day--or use a transfer service and deal with extra time.

Any experience with a similar situation? Btw, our kids are all under 11.

When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks:) def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area:)

Brittmarie04 said:
When are you cruising? Rentalcodes.com had some good codes on rental cars right now. We're cruising in 13 days and I just switched over my rental car because I found one for 26 bucks with all taxes and fees. It was 74 so I saved about 45 bucks:) def check out rental cars. You can pick it up near the port then drop off at airport and use in between time to explorer the area:)

I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.

Our return flight is 6pm and we are going to rent a car for the day. The rate was good and we were using a car service anyway, so now just have to pay for that one way to the port so the rental cost is covered.

BlakeNJ said:
I am cruising next December. A single day rental sounds like a good idea.

Awesome! Def check out rental cars you can book it and click pay at counter. So you don't pay until you pick it up! Even after you book keep your eye open for other deals/lower rates. If you find one it's very easy to book second one then cancel first one:)

A rental car is going to be the best financial deal.

As to what to do...the car lets you go to Downtown Disney, eat lunch off property, etc. before returning for your flight.

If you do choose to go with transfers, a day room at the Hyatt may be your best bet--you can swim, nap, shower, etc. Of course, that does make you "Stuck" at the airport for the day.

I say rent a car and drive to Downtown Disney or the like.

I've done the "wait at the airport for 6 hours" water torture routine...yuck! Never again!

Last year we did as the others have previously mentioned...we have a 15 son...we drove to Downtown Disney, we all had a great time in Disney Quest. We had lunch at Bongos, DS returned to Disney Quest while DH & I enjoyed a couple of Mojitos before heading to the airport.

FYI we were going to do the day room at the Hyatt recently, and when we stayed there the night before our cruise departure, the front desk clerk assured me that we didn't have to call ahead or make a reservation (and I am not sure if they take reservations for day rooms). Well, we show up at 10am the day of disembarkation, looking for a day room, and they were sold out. There was a dance convention at the hotel that day. So we had the "wait six hours before a cross-country flight" experience, and it wasn't fun.

So my advice is that if you want to do the day room at the Hyatt, ask a lot of questions about availability ahead of time.

Last year we did as the others have previously mentioned...we have a 15 son...we drove to Downtown Disney, we all had a great time in Disney Quest. We had lunch at Bongos, DS returned to Disney Quest while DH & I enjoyed a couple of Mojitos before heading to the airport.

So did you just do a day ticket to Disney Quest? If so, how much was that?

FYI we were going to do the day room at the Hyatt recently, and when we stayed there the night before our cruise departure, the front desk clerk assured me that we didn't have to call ahead or make a reservation (and I am not sure if they take reservations for day rooms). Well, we show up at 10am the day of disembarkation, looking for a day room, and they were sold out. There was a dance convention at the hotel that day. So we had the "wait six hours before a cross-country flight" experience, and it wasn't fun.

So my advice is that if you want to do the day room at the Hyatt, ask a lot of questions about availability ahead of time.

Anyone know if you can book the day room online or if I book as an overnight?

For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!

We have an 8pm flight and are racing to MK for a few hours. It's a short day but it'll give us time to explore the new fantasyland! We are gonna book it to depart the boat as soon as we clear customs. Got a rental through Budget for $45. (Was 30 but we needed a carseat)

Another vote for a rental car!
We rented a car and had a nice lunch at DTD and walked around and shopped for a while. We were able to walk right in to T Rex for lunch. It was a nice way to end our Disney adventure.

For a day room at the Hyatt, you can call and reserve. That rate has never shown up online from what I have seen. We used a day room two years ago after our cruise and I was able to call and reserve it.

It is a very nice option to have. Much nicer than trying to entertain kids in the airport for 6-8 hours! The pool is small but nice and the service is awesome!

Thank you...I called and the rate for the date we need after our cruise is $99 for the day which I think is good. We are going to Disney before the cruise but our flight is @ 7:30 pm...I know there are many other options but since we aleady have a rental car I think th is is ths best option..off the boat & straight to MCO drop off rental..can we check into our flight that early so we can drop off our luggage and then head to the Hyatt with just our carryons?

Thank you...I called and the rate for the date we need after our cruise is $99 for the day which I think is good. We are going to Disney before the cruise but our flight is @ 7:30 pm...I know there are many other options but since we aleady have a rental car I think th is is ths best option..off the boat & straight to MCO drop off rental..can we check into our flight that early so we can drop off our luggage and then head to the Hyatt with just our carryons?

We booked a day rate at the Hyatt after our cruise last June. We took Disney transfers to MCO. It worked out great. We spent the morning at the pool then had lunch in the fast food court. The kids really liked the fast food options after a week of cruise food (and so did I to be honest!). We watched movies for a while in the room, and then took a final swim. We showered and dressed leaving the room about 6pm for our 7:30pm flight. We picked up another round of fast food and ate it at the gate.

We agreed this was money very well spent!

We're renting a car and heading to universal for the day--mostly to check out Harry Potter. I think our flight is 6:45, so it won't be a full day but we're okay with that. Kids super excited :)

I am fairly sure that you cannot check your bags at the airline until 3-4 hours before your flight. You may have to search on your airlines website to confirm.

I am fairly sure that you cannot check your bags at the airline until 3-4 hours before your flight. You may have to search on your airlines website to confirm.

Thanks..just checked and it is 4 hours before....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter