Lots of questions.....Davy crockett, Oct half term and dining.

mrsturn

Earning My Ears
:banana:

Hello everyone,

this is my first post so hello to you all!!

We are going to DLP in the October half term Mon-Fri.(our second trip there) and can't wait :yay: I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with??

Do you think it will be really busy then - i notice the schools in Paris have half term at the same time :scared1:??

We are staying at the Davy Crockett - same as last time (better for us as 2 bedrooms and small children - makes life easier!!). Do the characters ever go there? I can't remember from last time?

Also we have booked the half board standard (this was the only option when I booked on the web site). We will probably eat at Davy Crockett a couple of times for convenience, would like one character meal and one other to be decided. I see everyone mentioning 'Inventions' as being a good character meal - but I can't see this in the brochure - only Cafe Mickey and Lucky Nugget? My kids wouyld love to see Mickey,Minnie and Goofy. I am hoping to pay the difference from the voucher. Can anyone recommend a good place for our other meal? My hubby likes a buffet!!

I think thats all. I can't believe how excited I am!!

Thanks a lot.

Hi and welcome!
Yes it will be busy, as its the lead up to the Halloween celebrations too. We are going then as well.
Characters appear near the restaurant at DCR I believe.
Inventions is in the Disneyland Hotel, and is certainly IMO the best buffet at DLRP. It's a HB Premium restaurant though and is expensive. Cafe Mickey is Premium too and overpriced, but you can eat more cheaply if you stick to a pizza rather than the set meals, easy for you to do since you'll be using the face value of the voucher anyway.

Thanks for your quick replies! I've just been reading some trip reports.....aaahhh!

Do you know whether i can phone the reservations number and pay the difference between my voucher and a character dinner at all? Would you recommend Cafe Mickey or the Lucky Nugget?

Are you going to Mickey's not so scary Halloween party whilst there? Do you know anything about that - like what time it happens/where/what happens? Are there fireworks (my daugher has a phobia about them - LOL!!)

So many questions I know! Thank you so much for taking the time to read them and answer!

I put loads of info on the DCR in my 'We're back - observations' post if you look for it.

We saw Goofy, Minnie and Donald at the DCR just outside the shop. They were there in the evenings for sure, around 8pm, not sure if they were there any other time as we were too busy in the parks.

Cafe Mickey gets my vote every time, we had 2 meals there last week - a planned one on Monday evening and a spur of the moment one on Friday just before we left. Saw loads of characters on both visits and got lots of interaction.

You can book the character meal and pay for it at CM (and I think LN) before you go but will have to pay the full amount if you do this
Or you can book a table and then pay with voucher and pay excess when you are there

There are no fireworks in october

Hi mrsturn . Elaine, Jackie, Elaine and Reid welcome to DLP DIS board :wave2:

We are a friendly bunch here so please join in on any other thread or if you have a number of questions then just start a new thread for each :goodvibes

If you have not had a look yet, DLP posting rules are here, DIS posting guidelines can be found here.

For characters at DCR pick up the Gazetter from the shop as this will have the times. They normally have 2 characters on each night who work a rotation. Our photos (in the link below) have a few from DCR. Occassionally you will get Pocahantus and Meeko :)

Thanks for the replies again - i am thinking cafe Mickey would be good for the character meal. I think I'll just book it before we go and pay when we get there then, to use the voucher. I have heard a few reports that the food isn't great - what do you think??

Milomummy - I read your trip review. Thanks a lot for the info. We experiencing some 'pushing in' when we went last time - adults pushing in front of our 3 year old as well!!! Mostly it was good natured queuing though.

Would you advise booking all of our dinners as it is October haolf term week and likely to be busy?

Thanks for the 'no firework' info too - 'its a small world'!

I had the same meal both times - beer battered cod with chips. Both times the food was delicious. We also had the tomato soup for starters - it was expensive, but really delicious.
Hubby had the lasagne the first time (mediocre) and the black angus burger the second time (lovely but too many different flavours and too big to try to pick up!). Maybe he is just fussy?
DS had the pasta with meatballs the first time and the fish with veggies the second time. He loved the pasta, not meatballs, and the fish had no sauce on it so was pretty dry, hence he didn't really eat it.

The thing is, you dont really go to Cafe Mickey for the food, it's more for the entertainment. An expensive but really worthwhile treat.

I really don't rate the food in Cafe Mickey but I think I'm in the minority on this board, LOL! We've been there twice and from that experience my conclusion is the food is mediocre at best and not worth the premium prices. We've not had desserts except the children's ones so they might be the best in the world for all I know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter