Losing Weight Blues

PixieDustandEeyore

DIS Veteran
In the past 10 months I've lost 95 lbs. But I still have 40 lbs left and I'm just drained , dieting drained. How do you all keep going, what inspires you? Any ideas for new work outs etc?

I keep thinking wedding dress, wedding dress , wedding dress but sometimes it seems far off lol.

How do you deal with the, Ive lost all this weight but I can't see it? Ive went from a 22/24 to 12/14 but I still can't notice it when I look in the mirror.

I just want your suggestions :)

I think you have done great. I have also been dieting but have only lost 70 lbs in a year. You may just need a break. Stop thinking you are on a diet and think you are eating healthier and having a healthier lifestyle. Promote yourself as being a healthier person. Just change your mental atttude. I know it is hard. Many people tell me that I look like I have lost a lot of weight but I can't see it either. I just takes time. Stay encourage By knwoing that you are inspiring others to lose weight too.

Dawn

Thanks so much Dawn :)
It is rough I think you get used to one image and can't get used to that its changed. oh well ill keep trying

One suggestion I have to help you see it is to take a picture of yourself instead of looking in the mirror. Ideally, you would want to compare the picture to one taken when you were at or near your heaviest. I get a more realistic view of myself with pictures as opposed to looking in the mirror.

Stop thinking you are on a diet and think you are eating healthier and having a healthier lifestyle. Promote yourself as being a healthier person. Just change your mental atttude. I know it is hard.

^^ This

Diets are temporary and require constant vigilance. Changing your lifestyle is permanent (if you want it to be) and just becomes your natural way of life over time.

It has been 6 years since I changed my lifestyle and for a while now it is just natural. The way I read menus, grocery shop, cook food, make time for exercise, and the rest is just automatic now. It took about a year but now when I do have a large dessert or take a few days off from the gym and running it feels strange because my life is just different.

It really is a mindset thing that will become habit if you let it. Good luck.

Im trying to integrate into real life habits aka non diet habits right now...its interesting! thank you all again. I'll try the photo thing.

In the past 10 months I've lost 95 lbs. But I still have 40 lbs left and I'm just drained , dieting drained. How do you all keep going, what inspires you? Any ideas for new work outs etc?

I keep thinking wedding dress, wedding dress , wedding dress but sometimes it seems far off lol.

How do you deal with the, Ive lost all this weight but I can't see it? Ive went from a 22/24 to 12/14 but I still can't notice it when I look in the mirror.

Oh I remember the wedding dress pain - I had to lose 50lbs and remember how hard that was, so MAJOR kudos to you for already losing 95 lbs! That's AMAZING!

My one question is do you have any time where you're not "on" the diet? Like 1 day a week where you allow yourself to have more calories/fat/carbs whatever? I highly recommend doing that - sometimes it can even help if you've plateaued. It doesn't mean that you go out and gorge yourself, but for example, on my days "off" I'll have a small dish of low-fat ice cream/frozen yogurt or a mini-cupcake from the local cupcake store.

I also changed up my exercise routine - try finding new things that you want to do. For me, I walked a lot and did cardio DVDs, but I recently set a goal of running a race, so I've been training for that. I find I work better when I have a goal like that and amazingly enough, I actually LOVE running (though I'm still at the point where I walk/run). I also really like Jillian Michaels' DVDs and Denise Austen's Power Yoga (I think that's the name - if you want me to look and figure out which one it is, I can).

You've received some great suggestions so far. Are you using a particular method to lose weight? Sparkpeople, Weight Watchers, etc? Either way, congrats on losing almost 100 pounds! :cool1:

One thing that helps me is the daily e-mails I receive from sparkpeople, fitnessmagazine.com, and Hungry Girl. I receive more of them, but they are not daily. I get loads of ideas. Sometimes, I "splurge" and buy a magazine that has exercise routines and/or recipes in it. You could always see what your library has. Another idea is to borrow a cookbook from the library or a neighbor/friend, etc. and try some new recipes. What's the saying, "Variety is the spice of life!"

Do you have a gym membership? I have no idea what your budget looks like, but my gym membership is $10 plus tax a month. Also, it offers 10, 1 hour personal training sessions for $300. I have yet to bite the bullet and do that, but I am seriously considering doing so.

These are just some ideas, FWIW. Also, are you part of the BL Challenge? Feel free to join us on the WISH boards. We are a very supportive group and you will get lots of suggestions on that thread. Right now, we are very actively spending the next week talking about dinner ideas.

Best of luck and again, conrats on losing 95 pounds already!:banana:

congrats!! that is awesome! you know i just had my gall bladder out unexpectedly 2 months ago- scared the crap out of me! Food is FUEL! I lost a lot of weight- don't know how much but noticeable. everyone tells me, my husband- i FEEL good-
I decided to try a new bathing suit today- didn't buy it- still looked ucky in the mirror- though I went from a size 2x- to a 16! I cannot even believe I am saying that. I did get some Lands End jersey shorts and I bought a L!!
The mirror still fooled me- I am pumped!
My trick is to eat! So I am never to the point of famished. A piece of fruit goes a long way- vary it up-now that grilling is in season(every season at my house) try grilled fruit, seafood, think food is fuel, no processed, low fat, lots of water. You must feel better- not so many aches, sharper mind- that can keep you going- great job!

I usually make Sundays my special non diet day, as after church we go out for brunch and I love ham and cheese omlettes (mm!)
For exercise i usually walk 3 miles a day with my dog. And change exercise DVDs (Jillian Michaels ones realllllly wipe you out)

To the gym point, Im working on my masters and get gym membership and free trainers etc through the school :) The school covered a dietician for me. For my diet I cut my calories down and exercised I can eat what I want but just less, so if I really want I can use my calories for a cheeseburger but I have to give up alot etc.

I just need to learn not to use food as a crutch and such :)
Thank you all for your help. The wedding dress blues is rough. Its tough you go in and I know size doesnt matter but wedding dresses fit real small so you can be in quite a large size (yikes!) And wedding dress shopping makes you real conscious of your body til you find the most flattering one (Which I did, it is a Maggie Sottero).

What is the BL thread I saw someone mention it? :)

Congratulations on losing 95 lbs!!!

The pictures are a great idea. It will help you to see what others are seeing. I'm guessing you've been 22/24 a while & have that self image burned into your head so maybe it's hard for you to think about yourself differently. But your efforts have paid off big & lo & behold, you are now a 12/14 - that's you!!

ANother thought, lay a pair of your old pants side by side with your new pants & see just how far you've come.

Again, congratulations - that's quite an accomplishement :cheer2:

What is the BL thread I saw someone mention it? :)

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far! :thumbsup2 You've come this far and I know that you can reach the end of that part of your journey.

Information about the Summer Biggest Loser Challenge is here http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36638729&postcount=1
If you feel that you might need some accountability and support, this is the place for you. The current challenge has only been going for the 3 weeks and runs through the end of August. Lots of time to make some good progress on your goals. It's never too late to join a BL challenge! :flower3: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Awesome job!!

I don't really have any answers that are new. I will say that I use to be a size 8 and even down to a 6 for awhile but I never ever wore a bathing suit. I didn't even own one for years. Now I am around a 10/12 and I did buy a bathing suit a few years ago and went in the pool everyday of my vacation. I couldn't believe what I had been missing. I am not sure exactly what changed but now I laugh that I thought with my size 6 figure I couldn't wear a bathing suit. I kind of just said enough and I do look good. I use to wear the baggiest clothes. Today I was shopping for our Disney trip (Disney wedding next week) and had to tell myself that I can look good in something size 12 if it is the right cut and all.

I do work out a lot but I guess I eat too much. I have an elliptical in the basement so I can watch tv, quite a few DVDs, nordic track skier, take a walk outside and go to a gym on and off.

Congrats again on the weight loss and your Disney wedding. They are so fun to plan.

I second the photos being more helpful than the mirror. I also recommend keeping or a pair of big pants, or a big shirt. Change is so gradual and you're stuck in an old perception.

My loss has been more gradual, but every now and again I will notice that I fit in places I didn't before. People aren't scooting in to let me by. Last week I curled up, curled up, I say, in an airline seat and fell to sleep.

Notice physical presence differences. Getting in and out of the car feels different. Notice it. Hostess guiding you to a restaurant booth. No panic. Don't just use your eyes.

Congratulations on your loss. That's wonderful. This is the downer part, if you think of this as a diet it will never end. You will feel restricted and denied. Resentment will grow and chocolate will comfort. I didn't get serious about my health until my 40s. Your action now will avoid so many health problems later. Your reward is a longer life expectancy and better quality of life in later years.

With the wedding as your immediate goal the wonderful benefits of your loss seem distant. You are laying a foundation for better health.

Ronda

I agree with what everyone else has said. All great advice! I have lost 42 lbs. in the past 4 years (170 to 128 currently [I'm 5'4"]) most of it in the first year or two but have had no desire to feel how I used to feel or live how I used to live. Like Frank said, it just becomes natural like a part of life to live healthy (not saying that there isn't occasional temptations but it isn't like how it used to be and I LOVE my body now and I absolutely love how I feel so the food/drinks that are really bad for you don't feel worth it and actually start to taste bad [and react to your body not so well too] :sick:).

I think looking great for your wedding is a great goal but also set goals up for after that, maybe it's going rock climbing, trying pilates, going to dance classes together, planning a weekend going skiing/snowboarding, looking just as sexy on your 5th (10th, 20th, 50th) year anniversary for your husband as you do on your wedding night ;), etc.

I also have done away with viewing food or drinks as comfort or something "special" or a "treat". It doesn't really provide much comfort anyways 'cause you usually feel like crap after you eat or drink it. I think of non edible ways to reward myself. Maybe it's a pedicure, or having a small savings account set up for buying yourself something new to wear every once in awhile (or new work out clothes or just something you enjoy), or after a hard week coming home on a Friday night, getting in some pj's with air popped popcorn drizzled with olive oil and s&p, watching one of your favorite movies. Or just going for a nice walk in the woods usually does it for me!

I have kept a pair of pants I used to wear when I was bigger. I try them every once in awhile (more so in the first year when it was more of a struggle) to remind myself how far I've come. Congratulations on your weight loss so far, good luck, and always remember you're beautiful no matter what but now you'll just get to be around longer :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter