Losing Weight After 40

MiniGirl

DIS Veteran
So, is anyone finding it really hard to lose weight after 40? I always been able to lose weight in the past. My problem was always keeping it off. However, for the past couple of years, I just can't seem to lose weight -- despite exercising more and eating better. Now, don't misunderstand. I still can make lots of improvements to my diet, but even with all the good changes I've made AND the exercise, I just can't seem to lose weight.

Would anyone care to share a weight loss after 40 success story? I'd love to hear how you did AND that it can be done.

Thanks.

After I turned 40 - which was ummmmmm a few years back - I have managed to lose 140 pounds total....but the problem is that it keeps finding me :rotfl2: and it brought some friends........like lose 20, gain 25....lose 30 gain 30....lost 40 gained 55....Every time I lost the weight, I followed Canada's Food Guide (you'd be able to find it on a Google search) which is the recommendations by the department of Health.

I really wish I had an answer for you (and me) - just don't do any of these "drastic" diets - I have had many friends who are now suffering health problems years later...

Unfortunately, a lot of my friends are bigger as well and so are a lot of my realitives - and it seems like any event revolves around food - family reunions, birthdays, Sunday visits, even a trip to the mall...etc.etc - I probably could have stuck with it, but I found I had no "resistance to temptation" so I had to avoid all those social situations...after a few months each time, I just missed being with everyone and would start to feel down.

I do sincerely wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure that you can do it...I think one of the keys is to have very supportive friends and family....

Well i'm 46 and have lost 75 pounds, started roughly about 3 years ago and have managed to keep it off !

I have completely changed the way I eat, I always eat 3 small meals a day and make sure they are calories that count and not junk, I also exercise 5 times a week, I do 45 min. to an hour of cardio and I also do weights 3 times a week

Good luck to you ! believe me, if I can do it... anyone can !! :rotfl:

I'm 42 and it is most certainly more difficult! I've had to really change my approach. I didn't want to 'diet' because I know I just have to eat different from this point forward. Me and fast food/pre-packaged frozen lunches don't work well. My body dislikes it intensely I know realize. It's more work but I just have to eat fresh foods and prepare my own food. Pretty radical change for me! Also I'm journaling every little thing I eat each and every day.
I exercise 5 to 6 times a week now and have set some long term fitness goals. I have a 5k next week, a 10k in September and I want to do a half-marathon next year. That's helped me to stick to a routine. I'm just finishing up my 6th week of making all these changes so I'm just new to it. But I have lost 17 pounds since starting!
I am at the early stages yet, but it is working so far. :yay:

I'm 42 and while it's coming off slower then I'd like it's coming off. Old school calorie counting and exercise is what's working for me, 34lbs down so far. I've found that eating better wasn't enough. I had to actually measure out portions and record every single calorie. Sounds like no fun but I got used to it pretty quick and feel so much better. I even eat fast food or a treat once a week. I've found thinking, "I won't eat that" instead of "I can't eat that" has made a world of difference for me. And I'm not letting anyone get in my way either, my family eats what I eat or they don't eat, lol! Lucky for me they're my best cheerleaders.:goodvibes

Thanks everybody. I appreciate it. I had been logging about 700 or 800 minutes of exercise each month, and I have made huge changes to my diet -- cut out fast food, added more fruits and veggies, etc. I have lost 5 whole pounds this year and then regained them all in a 2 week period when I wasn't able to workout and I wasn't as diligent with my eating.

Anyway, it is good to know that it can be done. I am encouraged again, and have gotten back on track. I also upped my exercise goals. I have lost a couple of the pounds I gained and hope that this momentum is able to carry me until I can see some results.

Thanks again for the encouragement and for lettingme know that it can be done -- even after 40.

I am 40 and have tried WW, Jenny Craig, doing it myself. I finally went to a nutritionist who also does hypnosis and lost 10 pound in the first 2 weeks. She looked at my diet and felt I was eating too much protein (not the sweets). I had to follow a "plan" with certain food but I could eat all I wanted of these foods. I was skeptical but the pounds came off. We went to Disney and things stalled a bit but I am getting on back. The important thing was that I haven't gained the 10 pounds back. I would be happy to lose another 15 pounds. What amazed me was how the weight in my stomach went away. I had to avoid "gassy" vegetables such as broccoli and high sugar fruits but it worked. I would highly recommend going to see a nutritionist.

i turned 43 in march. my sister (turning 40 this year) and i along with my 20 year old daughter and 66 year old mother made a group effort to change this year. we started in early april by switching to a mediteranian diet in conjunction with recipes from weight watchers, my sister and i are counting calories staying between 1200-1400 a day and i've finally got my sister and mom to go no added salt. we're also walking 5-6 nights a week currently between 2.8-3.7 miles at about 3.5mph (17-18 minutes per mile). we live close by and are eating, shopping, prep and cooking as a group so that no one person has to do it all with work, family, home etc... my mother is down 8 without exercise or calorie counting, my sister is down 13, and i'm down 20 despite chronic back pain. i agree it's harder and takes longer when you're older but we're approaching it as a lifestyle change rather than a temporary diet. just hang in there no matter how old you are... it will happen if you stick with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter