Loose coins?

I take mine to Coinstar and get either Starbucks to use at Disney or Best Buy to convert to a Disney gift card. They give you the exact amount of change and take no fees from it.

Thanks I didn't know you could do this. I didn't know you could use a Best Buy gift card and get a Disney gift card.

Back when I had to roll a bunch of coin my local bank gave me coin wrappers when I asked but this was a couple years ago

My bank has no counter machine. I just go to the counter and ask for coin rolls. They're free.

Hello my name is Bookgirl and I'm a third generation coin hoarder....:teeth:

Okay not really. I do circulate my coins into my bank every year or so.

My granddad was a depression era survivor and kept his pocket change in a jar because every penny counted.

My mom did the same as my dad was in construction and it's always feast or famine so her saved coins were used during lean times. She would let me and my brother 'play' with the coins and help count/roll them. To this day her and my step dad have containers of coins tucked away for emergencies.

My brother and I both tend to have jars/buckets with coins. I do however take mine in when the container is full and put it in my savings. I think my brother keeps his longer. But he used to use them to give the twins money when they were younger.

I'm a signer on my mom's account and her bank (local owned and run) still has a counter. I just take them in, they dump and count them, then give me cash.

I have a nephew who totally has a coin bucket in his room LOL so the tradition lives on in my family.

So u can buy a gift card to then get a Disney gift card? I never knew that.
I went to the bank and they gave me this big plastic bank bag and said that if I didn't mindcwaiting 2 days, they d then direct deposit it.
Thought it was kind of weird but took the bag.
The coins are still sitting in big jars lol

Another thing on the to do list
Happy saving everyone!

If you decide to roll, ask your bank if they give the coin wrappers. Last time I wrapped I was given the coin rollers at the bank.

A friend of mine recently posted on their facebook that when rolling coins, they ran into a dime that was really worth $4 in horrible condition. They started to check all the coins with quick internet searches and using the internet found a couple places that would buy them. I plan to do the same thing before I head to the bank for their coin counter which is free to count. so check the banks in your area and see if someone has a free counter for the bulk of them. commerce which later merged with TD counts for free for anyone.

So u can buy a gift card to then get a Disney gift card? I never knew that.
I went to the bank and they gave me this big plastic bank bag and said that if I didn't mindcwaiting 2 days, they d then direct deposit it.
Thought it was kind of weird but took the bag.
The coins are still sitting in big jars lol

Another thing on the to do list
Happy saving everyone!
Certain places will allow you to. My Best Buy and Target do. I was having luck at Kmart until I had an issue one time with a paper gift card. The person who normally helped me wasn't there and management swore up and down it wasn't allowed even though I had done it several times before that. I haven't been back to test the waters since they seem to be going downhill quickly. crazylady mentioned Lowe's, but I've never tried them.

You can get a Lowes GC from Coinstar too and my Lowes also has Disney GC as another option
You can't use a Lowes GC to purchase a Disney GC. Only a few stores will allow you to purchase a GC with one of their GCs. Best Buy is one. Target is another (but CoinStar doesn't offer Target), Walmart, Sam's Club and some Walgreen's. But Lowes is a definite 'No".

I have gone to TD bank with my sil once or twice in the past (since she has an account).

The bank gives me the wrappers. The Dollar Tree store also sells them - but why buy them when the banks hands them out.
I keep a jar on my counter for just pennies. When full, I dump them into a gallon ziplock. Every three years it's full and there is usually about $45.
I only keep quarters in my wallet. The rest of the coins (more quarters, nickels and dimes) go into a gallon/maybe less than a gallon jar. I also fill this up about every three years and usually have an average of $500. They go towards vacation.

(okay not sure how/why my print shrunk :sad2:)

You can't use a Lowes GC to purchase a Disney GC. Only a few stores will allow you to purchase a GC with one of their GCs. Best Buy is one. Target is another (but CoinStar doesn't offer Target), Walmart, Sam's Club and some Walgreen's. But Lowes is a definite 'No".

Thanks for the information

Why not just spend the coins little by little. Give the cashier some coins each time you shop instead of having to get back yet more coins in change.

I will almost swear that even Coinstar machines are not extremely accurate. A few months ago I made up a dozen carefully hand counted batches of coins and took them to a Coinstar machine. I made just one transaction but put in the batches one at a time with a pause after each batch. The machine shortchanged me a few coins, not all from the same batch.

"... a dime that was worth over 4 dollars ..."

U.S. dimes, quarters, and halves made before 1965 are worth a lot more than face value. In a stack, one of those will usually stand out by not having a gold or bronze tinged edge.

Last edited:
I will almost swear that even Coinstar machines are not extremely accurate. A few months ago I made up a dozen carefully hand counted batches of coins and took them to a Coinstar machine. I made just one transaction but put in the batches one at a time with a pause after each batch. The machine shortchanged me a few coins, not all from the same batch.

NBC did a story on coin counting machines and Coinstar was found to be accurate. And honestly for me the few cents that might be shorted is not worth my time & effort to hand count & roll. I only get giftcard codes, so I do not pay the 9%.

NBC did a story on coin counting machines and Coinstar was found to be accurate. And honestly for me the few cents that might be shorted is not worth my time & effort to hand count & roll. I only get giftcard codes, so I do not pay the 9%.

This. I had over $300 in change. The time I would have spent hand counting and rolling is worth any discrepancy with the Coinstar machine.

Once you get the coinstar receipt make a copy of it. If it gets too hot the numbers will disappear. We almost had this problem with our Lowe's money.
I always put all of my coins in my purse in the uscan machine at the grocery store before swiping my card. This has helped out on my coin stash.

Coinstar machines in the UK don't give gift cards but banks give plastic coin bags - eg £5 in 5p coins £2 in 2p coins - I always collected small change to do this and my (grown up married) son still does but I find I use mine a lot for car parking now everywhere charges for parking here!

I save every coin I find and save the change from the checkouts. I even go to the bank and get rolled coins to save. I will spend a $5 or $10 but won't spend a roll of dimes or quarters.

I just found a bucket of loose coins in a little used closet. Thinking of adding this to the Disney fund for some fun "extra". What do you do with loose coin? I don't mind rolling them if I can find the paper wrappers.....

I use them to buy gift cards at the CoinStar and then I take that much money and put it in my Disney envelope.

I use my coins in the Walmart self checkout machines then have that much extra cash to spend at Disney (ie cash that I didn't spend at Walmart because I used the coins)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!