Looking for offsite in July for family of 5

annie1995

<font color=FF0066>I have not used mine outside th
I don't even know where to start.. So far everything I have looked at is just as expensive as staying onsite. We are looking at mid July. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the time of year I am planning which is making it more expensive? Thanks :goodvibes

Do you want a hotel, or will a condo work? Do you have your own transportation, or will you be renting a car, or are you looking for a hotel that provides transportation?

When we took our first trip what feels like forever ago, we stayed at Nick Hotel because I had seen a lot of commercials and it looked fun. We were reasonably happy with the room, and we had driven, so didn't have the added cost of a rental car. Back then, parking was only about $8 or $9 a day, so that wasn't even too bad. The very next trip, though, I "discovered" disboards, and thus "discovered" Windsor Hills. Wow, my life has been changed! We now get a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo for week for about what it would cost for 2 nights at Nick in one of their family suites. A similar contrast can be made for staying at one of the family suites at the Disney value (can't remember which value resort added these, but I know one did).

So, if you're looking for a condo, just ask. Many folks can give you great testimony about renting through vrbo.com or something similar. If you want a hotel/ timeshare type place, ask that too and many folks can share their experience with places like WBC (where the condos are beautiful and transportation is provided).

In the end, you have to remember Disney is VERY smart. They know exactly how much folks pay offsite, and try to price their onsite options at the breaking point where the value meets convenience. If you're an informed consumer and do your homework, you can absolutely save money offsite. If you want convenience - you won't find anything that compares to the onsite offerings...

Happy planning!

We are also a family of 5 and when we stay onsite we need two rooms at the value resorts. The family suites at the All Star Music are even more than 2 rooms at the other value resorts. We rented a house for the first time in July 2010 and loved it. It cost less than 1 room at the value resorts and we had 4 bed/3baths, pool and gameroom. We have booked it again for June 2012. It is in Sunset Lakes about 10min from Disney. Very close and easy to get to. The owners were easy to work with. I found it on www.vrbo.com #256608.

We had always stayed onsite up until then but we did not feel like we missed anything being offsite. We actually slept better because it was so quiet. We would also leave the parks in the middle of the day and return later. Didn't have any trouble coming and going at anytime of day or night at the parks.

Good luck and have fun.

For our family of 6 we ended up renting a 4 bedroom villa. The cost was cheaper than two value rooms at Disney. We also saved a bunch of money on food since we could cook our own and not be tied down to buying food at Disney all week. We enjoyed the added privacy and the private swimming pool and hot tub :) The house we rented was also at Sunset Lakes http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p287050

I like to stay at Straybridge, Residance Inn, Springhill Suites hotels because I know they sleep 5 and they have free breakfast. That save me money. That is one meal I don't have buy. We are family of 5 too now.

If you are looking at hotel rates, any discount offers for those won't come out until a couple months before your trip. Sometimes I book a room at the full rate way in advance just for the peace of mind that I have something, then keep checking the rates to rebook at a lower rate later. I don't think many of the rental home/condo rates will change though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter