Looking for Hotel (on Harbor) advice...

LizzyS

DIS Veteran
I'm already thinking about our 2020 trip to DLR, though we've just returned from our annual trip. :idea:

We stayed at DLH this past trip because it was our 10th wedding anniversary (we stayed at PPH for our 5th and kind of joke that we'll stay at GCH for our 20th, but we'll probably do it), but we normally stay at the Red Lion on Harbor and Katella. They disappointed me a little by putting us in the older tower last time and then also (this was 2 years ago, mind you, it may have changed) they would not assign anyone a room until 3pm on the dot, though they did the initial check-in stuff. As you can imagine, there was a line of folks in the lobby at 3pm to get their room assignment/check in. I did complain to them about that and our trip was otherwise fine, but it made me think that maybe I should look around at other hotels on Harbor since there are plenty.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-No more than $150-ish or so per night
-Closer to DLR entrance than Red Lion
-Clean
-Doesn't have to be super quiet, but don't want an actual noisy hotel
-Rooms don't have to have an interior corridor, but that's preferred
-breakfast a plus, but not necessary
-preferably some sort of secure parking

What places fit the bill that you've stayed at and is there anything else you can tell me about them? How far in advance should I book the hotel? Red Lion is always easy to get reservations, so I've never been too concerned about doing it too much in advance, though sometimes I have done the reservation pretty early, anyway.

I am honestly going to keep close tabs on how Galaxy's Edge affects the resort as a whole, so time of year is undetermined right now. Our preferred time is late February, but I also like late April, and would entertain early September or early October, etc., but like to avoid the Halloween parties, etc.
Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. TIA! You guys are the best. :love:

(I'll be making a spreadsheet and checking out any recommendations.)

We always stay at Anaheim hotel and it meets just about all your requirements. Plus they have a good pizza place attached and good happy hour at the bar. Their are nices hotels in the area but they are always 50+ more a night. I don’t spend much time at the hotel so just need the bed to be comfortable. Plus they have a real nice pool area.

We always stay at Anaheim hotel and it meets just about all your requirements. Plus they have a good pizza place attached and good happy hour at the bar. Their are nices hotels in the area but they are always 50+ more a night. I don’t spend much time at the hotel so just need the bed to be comfortable. Plus they have a real nice pool area.

Thank you, I will check it out!

The Hotel Indigo may suit your needs. I'm not exactly sure on the sub $150 a night, but I've booked far in advance and was able to get it for about $150/night. They also offer AAA discount if you have one of those. It does have interior corridors and very nicely done updated rooms. I like the laminate (faux wood) floors and the walk-in shower. There isn't a free breakfast, but there is an option to add breakfast vouchers to your stay. We usually just hop over to the CVS or Walgreens and get some yogurt, protein bars, etc for a quick breakfast. That gives me an excuse to get an early snack in the park too! It's not leaps and bounds closer than the Red Lion, but it is slightly closer. The parking is also free. The staff is SO friendly there too.

If you want something really close and affordable I'd check out Desert Inn & Suites or the Grand Legacy. Grand Legacy has an email list you can sign up for and offers some special discounts through them. I've gotten a few flash sale coupons (that I wasn't able to take advantage of). I haven't stayed at either but they get fairly good reviews here. Desert Inn has a very basic continental breakfast, and Grand Legacy gives you a "snack bag" that I believe has some fruit, string cheese, and a granola bar.

The Hotel Indigo may suit your needs. I'm not exactly sure on the sub $150 a night, but I've booked far in advance and was able to get it for about $150/night. They also offer AAA discount if you have one of those. It does have interior corridors and very nicely done updated rooms. I like the laminate (faux wood) floors and the walk-in shower. There isn't a free breakfast, but there is an option to add breakfast vouchers to your stay. We usually just hop over to the CVS or Walgreens and get some yogurt, protein bars, etc for a quick breakfast. That gives me an excuse to get an early snack in the park too! It's not leaps and bounds closer than the Red Lion, but it is slightly closer. The parking is also free. The staff is SO friendly there too.

If you want something really close and affordable I'd check out Desert Inn & Suites or the Grand Legacy. Grand Legacy has an email list you can sign up for and offers some special discounts through them. I've gotten a few flash sale coupons (that I wasn't able to take advantage of). I haven't stayed at either but they get fairly good reviews here. Desert Inn has a very basic continental breakfast, and Grand Legacy gives you a "snack bag" that I believe has some fruit, string cheese, and a granola bar.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Best Western Park Place Inn, Park Vue, and Candy Cane Inn are others to check out. The cost varies though depending on when you go. The first 2 are right across the street. All 3 offer breakfast, with CCI having the best IMO. CCI also has a dedicated shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour plus is still in walking distance, and really nice common spaces. If you book their premium room, you can choose items for breakfast and they will deliver it to your room, which is the largest room they offer and also has late checkout (2 PM).

We've stayed at Hotel Indigo our last 2 trips and overall we really enjoyed the hotel. I've been able to book them through the site that doesn't give you the hotel name until after you book (not sure if i'm allowed to say which is why I phrased it that way). With some research you can usually figure out what hotel you're booking before you actually pay. Downside to booking this way is no refunds, but the upside is you can usually get a decent amount off per night. The people are friendly, the walk is not at all terrible, and you're close to Walgreens, CVS, 7-11, Subway, Blaze Pizza, Starbucks, and some other small local places. Their parking is free a PP mentioned, they have some outside parking spots, plus some underground parking spots. We've gotten lucky the last two times and we've been able to find parking, but I think that if you were to arrive really late you might have some issues finding a spot.

I also really like the BW Anaheim Inn, free breakast, "free" parking (I think they charge a $5 resort fee now), and it's right across the street. But their prices have gone up considerably over the last year and I just haven't been willing to shell out the money.

I've stayed at the Grand Legacy once and I would do it again if the price was right. The snack bag is pretty much a joke. When we were there it consisted of: Ritz cheese and crackers (stale), a single nature valley honey oat granola bar (really really stale), a red apple (not my thing), and a bottle of water. On our second morning we went and asked if we could just have the water and nothing else. Their parking isn't free (I don't think), but we didn't have a car the time we stayed so it wasn't a big deal.

Best Western Park Place Inn, Park Vue, and Candy Cane Inn are others to check out. The cost varies though depending on when you go. The first 2 are right across the street. All 3 offer breakfast, with CCI having the best IMO. CCI also has a dedicated shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour plus is still in walking distance, and really nice common spaces. If you book their premium room, you can choose items for breakfast and they will deliver it to your room, which is the largest room they offer and also has late checkout (2 PM).

Thank you!

We've stayed at Hotel Indigo our last 2 trips and overall we really enjoyed the hotel. I've been able to book them through the site that doesn't give you the hotel name until after you book (not sure if i'm allowed to say which is why I phrased it that way). With some research you can usually figure out what hotel you're booking before you actually pay. Downside to booking this way is no refunds, but the upside is you can usually get a decent amount off per night. The people are friendly, the walk is not at all terrible, and you're close to Walgreens, CVS, 7-11, Subway, Blaze Pizza, Starbucks, and some other small local places. Their parking is free a PP mentioned, they have some outside parking spots, plus some underground parking spots. We've gotten lucky the last two times and we've been able to find parking, but I think that if you were to arrive really late you might have some issues finding a spot.

I also really like the BW Anaheim Inn, free breakast, "free" parking (I think they charge a $5 resort fee now), and it's right across the street. But their prices have gone up considerably over the last year and I just haven't been willing to shell out the money.

I've stayed at the Grand Legacy once and I would do it again if the price was right. The snack bag is pretty much a joke. When we were there it consisted of: Ritz cheese and crackers (stale), a single nature valley honey oat granola bar (really really stale), a red apple (not my thing), and a bottle of water. On our second morning we went and asked if we could just have the water and nothing else. Their parking isn't free (I don't think), but we didn't have a car the time we stayed so it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks!

LizzyS, if I remember correctly you stayed at the Georigan Hotel in Santa Monica not too long ago - how did you like it? Hopefully I'm remembering the correct DIS member!! lol

I would recommend Desert Palms. Very clean, quiet, and affordable. Interior corridor. Several different types of room set ups (double queen, king/bunk, double queen/kitchenette, 4 queens). They have an excellent free breakfast (eggs, sausage, fruit, biscuits/gravy, etc). This hotel is at the cross of Harbor/Katella. And has a 7-eleven convenience store right next door. We've never had a car while in the area, however they have underground parking.

Desert Inn is pretty good, right across the street. Minimal breakfast, clean, *mostly* quiet, affordable. Different room setups. Self parking or valet underground. The parking can get tight we've noticed. Outside corridor. They won't hold all of your luggage, but have lockers (which cost I believe $1/each). Wasn't really impressed with that, but it's a minor thing.

LizzyS, if I remember correctly you stayed at the Georigan Hotel in Santa Monica not too long ago - how did you like it? Hopefully I'm remembering the correct DIS member!! lol

I would recommend Desert Palms. Very clean, quiet, and affordable. Interior corridor. Several different types of room set ups (double queen, king/bunk, double queen/kitchenette, 4 queens). They have an excellent free breakfast (eggs, sausage, fruit, biscuits/gravy, etc). This hotel is at the cross of Harbor/Katella. And has a 7-eleven convenience store right next door. We've never had a car while in the area, however they have underground parking.

Desert Inn is pretty good, right across the street. Minimal breakfast, clean, *mostly* quiet, affordable. Different room setups. Self parking or valet underground. The parking can get tight we've noticed. Outside corridor. They won't hold all of your luggage, but have lockers (which cost I believe $1/each). Wasn't really impressed with that, but it's a minor thing.

Hi, yes, that was me!

We LOVED The Georgian, thank you so much for asking and thank you for the tips you gave me before our trip! The location was awesome and the hotel is almost unbearably charming; we really loved it.

Thank you for the recommendation about Harbor hotels as well!

Agreed. But you forgot the Golden Malted waffle maker at the breakfast. Same mix as Disney uses for their Mickey waffles. :)

Agreed. But you forgot the Golden Malted waffle maker at the breakfast. Same mix as Disney uses for their Mickey waffles. :)

No way!!! I've never had the waffles before and couldn't remember if they did/didn't have them since we haven't stayed there since last year. I'll have to make sure to try them next time we're there

Hi, yes, that was me!

We LOVED The Georgian, thank you so much for asking and thank you for the tips you gave me before our trip! The location was awesome and the hotel is almost unbearably charming; we really loved it.

Thank you for the recommendation about Harbor hotels as well!

So glad you enjoyed it! It's become one of our favorite hotels. And of course!! :)

This is an old thread. I was searching for interior corridor. But I wanted to add BWPPI was really noisy in Dec. probably all the motels will be louder than red lion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter