Looking for authentic southern BBQ

anorman

Greetings from The Great White North
We are staying offsite on our upcoming trip in 11 days and my DH was hoping to find a place that serves authentic southern BBQ. We're not looking for anything fancy.......think of the show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. The main goal here is to find a spot that serves outstanding food that the locals might treat as a best-kept-secret. Suggestions anyone? Any local Floridians want to share their opinion? Thanks.

I like Bubbalou's they are really good. There is another that I have not tried yet but it is 4 Rivers Smokehouse. We are leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks so if I try it, I will post and let you know how that one is.

DO NOT go to Sonny's they are horrible.

Bubbalou's is up by Universal, right? That looks like it has the type of food I am looking for and my DD11 loves cornbread which they do have.

Anything closer to Kissimmee? We'll be staying in a villa off 192. I've looked at Fat Boys and Smokey Bones online which are fairly close by and get decent reviews. Any thoughts on these or other places?

Bubbalou's is up by Universal, right? That looks like it has the type of food I am looking for and my DD11 loves cornbread which they do have.

Anything closer to Kissimmee? We'll be staying in a villa off 192. I've looked at Fat Boys and Smokey Bones online which are fairly close by and get decent reviews. Any thoughts on these or other places?

There are a bunch of Bubbalou's We like the one in Altamonte Springs because it is still owned by the original owner better known as THE BIG PIG. Check out their website. Do not bother with Smokey Bones it is just a chain owned by the corporation that owns Olive Garden.

In checking out these places for you(and me) I went to Trip Advisor and stumbled across another restaurant that looks interesting. It is called Yellow Dog Eats. I cannot figure out on the map how close it is but it is closer than Celebration that much I could figure. Also check out Urban Spoon they have lots of photos of the food .

As for Fat Boys I did not see that listed in even the top 20 on Trip Advisor. I usually check them out and if they have hundreds of reviews which are all good then I will try a place. If they have only a few reviews even if they are good I figure anyone can fake that.

Four Rivers looked amazing but I saw a photo of the line to get in and it was like 25-30 people long...they did look like they had amazing desserts too.

There are a bunch of Bubbalou's We like the one in Altamonte Springs because it is still owned by the original owner better known as THE BIG PIG. Check out their website. Do not bother with Smokey Bones it is just a chain owned by the corporation that owns Olive Garden.

In checking out these places for you(and me) I went to Trip Advisor and stumbled across another restaurant that looks interesting. It is called Yellow Dog Eats. I cannot figure out on the map how close it is but it is closer than Celebration that much I could figure. Also check out Urban Spoon they have lots of photos of the food .

As for Fat Boys I did not see that listed in even the top 20 on Trip Advisor. I usually check them out and if they have hundreds of reviews which are all good then I will try a place. If they have only a few reviews even if they are good I figure anyone can fake that.

Four Rivers looked amazing but I saw a photo of the line to get in and it was like 25-30 people long...they did look like they had amazing desserts too.

Thanks for the heads up on Smokey Bones. A chain restaurant is really not what I have in mind in looking for a place with Southern BBQ. I am looking for more of a Mom and Pop diner with a reputation for good eats. I will check out Four Rivers for sure.

mmmmm....4 Rivers looks yummy and a definite possibility. It's a bit of a drive but if it lives up to its reviews, it would be worth it! The Longwood location is rated #1 of 74 restaurants in Longwood and has rave reviews.

Haven't been to the others but I will chime in also with do NOT go to Sonny's BBQ. Awful!!!!

4 Rivers is the best BBQ I have ever had! Going there in one week. Can not wait!

Me too! Who knows I might meet you, I will be the one with drool coming out of my mouth a huge plate of desserts and a side of ribs. LOL Are the desserts really as good as they look?

4 Rivers is the best BBQ I have ever had! Going there in one week. Can not wait!

Is there any particular location that is better than another. I notice there are three of them and they are all between 25 and 30 miles from where we are staying so it doesn't matter which one we go to so long as it is the best one!

I like Bubbalou's they are really good. There is another that I have not tried yet but it is 4 Rivers Smokehouse. We are leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks so if I try it, I will post and let you know how that one is.

DO NOT go to Sonny's they are horrible.

4 Rivers Smokehouse does look amazing!

It looks like they are all at least 30 min from Lake Buena Vista...do you (or anyone) know of a closer one?

Thank you!

4 Rivers Smokehouse does look amazing!

It looks like they are all at least 30 min from Lake Buena Vista...do you (or anyone) know of a closer one?

Thank you!

There are three......one in Longwood, one in Winter Park, and one in Winter Garden......all about the same distance away. We will be staying in Kissimmee but I may make the trip if they are as good as their reviews say!

Local here-

4 Rivers is amazing. Yes the lines are long, but move quickly. Besides you'll need the time to decide what to have and what sides to choose with it. LOL They are NEVER open on Sundays. The food is served on cafeteria trays, no plates and you eat outside on community picnic tables on a covered porch.

Even though it looks like all the locations are similar distances, this is Orlando and things are very deceiving. My suggestion is the Winter Garden location. From 192 west of Disney hop on the 429 and take it to the Rt 535 exit, then go about 2 miles north. About 20-25 minutes. Very easy to find.

From 192 down by Celebration/Kissimmee take Rt 535 north all the way to Rt. 50 in Winter Garden. About 35-40 minutes.

Not much on the menu we don't love!!

Is there any particular location that is better than another. I notice there are three of them and they are all between 25 and 30 miles from where we are staying so it doesn't matter which one we go to so long as it is the best one!

The one on Fairbanks. It just opened a few days ago.

Local here-

4 Rivers is amazing. Yes the lines are long, but move quickly. Besides you'll need the time to decide what to have and what sides to choose with it. LOL They are NEVER open on Sundays. The food is served on cafeteria trays, no plates and you eat outside on community picnic tables on a covered porch.

Even though it looks like all the locations are similar distances, this is Orlando and things are very deceiving. My suggestion is the Winter Garden location. From 192 west of Disney hop on the 429 and take it to the Rt 535 exit, then go about 2 miles north. About 20-25 minutes. Very easy to find.

From 192 down by Celebration/Kissimmee take Rt 535 north all the way to Rt. 50 in Winter Garden. About 35-40 minutes.

Not much on the menu we don't love!!

I love hearing this from a local.....just what I was hoping for. It makes me even more sure that this is the place to go. Thanks for the directions. It is closer than I thought. We will definitely be eating here!

if you're looking for a "triple d" type place, i'd hit up Yellow Dog Eats! crazy good sandwiches...try the club elvis! one of my favortie lunch spots in orlando!

http://yellowdogeats.com/

OMG I did not read this post and JUST posted this question on this board. Do you have any idea how long it would be to drive from say I-Drive? On the map it looks like it is even closer than Celebration.

OMG I did not read this post and JUST posted this question on this board. Do you have any idea how long it would be to drive from say I-Drive? On the map it looks like it is even closer than Celebration.

i live just south of seaworld and it usually takes me about a half hour (sometimes less) to get there...worth the drive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter