Looking for a Kauai Movie Tour shore excursion

DISNEYFAN3260

"My other car is a monorail"
Despite being online at 12:01 am EST on my Platinum booking day earlier this week, I was unable to schedule the Kauai Movie Tour my husband and I would love to do on our Oct 3-13 Hawaii cruise. I'm happy to book with an outside vendor, but can't seem to find one that leaves from the port. Does anyone know of a company that we can book on our own to do this shore excursion? Appreciate any info and would love to hear your thoughts about the experience if you've done it. Thank you!

You have thrown out a tough one. Add to it only one day. I looked at multiple websites, too. Possibly the same ones you did. A lot are just for NCL or Royal C cruisers.

I have been to Kauai. But did a multiple-day vacation with a car. Is there some aspect of the movie tour that appeals to you? Or just ease of being taken around to places?

Things you would specifically like to see?

Waimea Canyon? Near Poipu, the dry side of the island with beaches, Spouting Horn blow hole. (Puka Dogs. Yum just thinking of them.)

Hanalei (filming for South Pacific. from Here to Eternity…)

There’s got to be a way; perhaps a private tour. Some of the best movie shots are those seen from above - helicopter - or from the water - the Napali Coast.

Good luck!

We were scheduled to be on the Hawaii cruise in May of last year. We cancelled because of the Canadian covid restrictions at the time. We decided to fly directly to Hawaii and spent a few nights in Kauai before spending a week on the Big Island.

We hired the Kauai Tour Guy. We actually hired him for a 2 day tour, but he does others. Without even asking, he pointed out all of the movie locations, including old John Wayne movies.

Our hotel was very close to the port, so I know he could pick you up from there.

He was very personable and we enjoyed his tour very much. You should check him out.

Though, not in Hawaii, we have also had luck with Tours by Locals. You can search by criuse ports to find local guides.

You won't be able to see the entire island in a day, so you may have to decide which movie sites you're more interested in.

Last edited:
No suggestions for a tour company, but from personal experience, do not plan on just grabbing a taxi or even an Uber or Lyft at the port in Kauai. Booking a ride from any of those serves could be used as part of the Hunger Games.

It can be done - I did it- but it's not fun and no one needs that level of stress on a vacation. Whatever you plan to do make sure it includes pick up at the port if you don't want to turn into Frolo trying to get there.

If you don't need to step onto the movie set, I highly recommend Jack Harter Helicopter tours. You'll fly over many movie sites - which they may or may not point out, you can always mention its something you're interested in for better luck of them pointing out a few. We were told several during our tour without asking for that specifically. Do the doors-off option, completely worth it.

And yes they pick up and drop off at the port.

We were scheduled to be on the Hawaii cruise in May of last year. We cancelled because of the Canadian covid restrictions at the time. We decided to fly directly to Hawaii and spent a few nights in Kauai before spending a week on the Big Island.

We hired the Kauai Tour Guy. We actually hired him for a 2 day tour, but he does others. Without even asking, he pointed out all of the movie locations, including old John Wayne movies.

Our hotel was very close to the port, so I know he could pick you up from there.

He was very personable and we enjoyed his tour very much. You should check him out.

Though, not in Hawaii, we have also had luck with Tours by Locals. You can search by criuse ports to find local guides.

You won't be able to see the entire island in a day, so you may have to decide which movie sites you're more interested in.
Thanks so much - this was particularly helpful! I reached out to the Kauai Tour Guy and we've got him booked! I think this will serve our needs well. Appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter