Looking for 1st apartment - Chicago burbs

dosekies

DIS Veteran
I've recently started looking online for apartments for rent in my area. This will be the first time - other than college - that I will be moving out of my parents' house!

What are some things I should look for/be cautious of when looking for rentals? Are there specific questions you recommend asking when I tour?

Also, if anyone else is from the suburbs of Chicago, any places you have had good experience with or would recommend? (needs to be dog friendly!)

I'm not from chicago. First you want to look at crime in the area of course.

You want to have good off street parking. If you don't have a car you want to make sure you have public transportation in walking distance. Walking distance in freezing chicago winter.

Take your parents along or other reliable adults to look at the apartment with you.

Since your a dog lover look to see how far the closest park is where dogs are allowed.

I lived in apartments in both Lombard and Hoffman Estates. The apartment in Lombard was not pet friendly but the one in Hoffman was. It will just depend on the place. I'd check out the storage in the apartment to make sure it's enough.

I never had a washer/dryer in the apartment but that would have been so nice!

The Chicago suburbs span from North of the city reaching to Wisconsin to South of the City next to Indiana. Where are you looking?

The Chicago suburbs span from North of the city reaching to Wisconsin to South of the City next to Indiana. Where are you looking?

Mostly northwest suburbs. Skokie up to around Gurnee. I need to be within 20 miles of Lincolnshire but would prefer not to go too far west based on DH's job location

In Chicagoland, you don't talk miles, you talk travel time. 20 miles will take you pretty far out.

Actually, the area from Skokie to Gurnee is in the north suburbs. Northwest suburbs are places like Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Itasca, Grayslake, Deerfield, Schaumburg, etc.

There are good and bad areas of every city -- I don't know what your budget is, but in general, the farther west you're willing to go, the price drops.

I'm in the west burbs, there are a lot of places I like out this way. But it's pretty far from the area you want to be and I'm not all that familiar with the areas you've mentioned unfortunately.

In Chicagoland, you don't talk miles, you talk travel time. 20 miles will take you pretty far out.

Actually, the area from Skokie to Gurnee is in the north suburbs. Northwest suburbs are places like Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Itasca, Grayslake, Deerfield, Schaumburg, etc.

There are good and bad areas of every city -- I don't know what your budget is, but in general, the farther west you're willing to go, the price drops.

Sorry for the confusion, everyone I know around here references all of those suburbs as the northwest burbs. Looking to try and keep rent and utilities under $1,500. My main concerns are being in a good area and pet-friendly.

Not sure if you edited, but my email shows you asked where I work and I don't mind at all. I work in Lincolnshire, DH is based in Wilmette but his job forces him to drive all over, frequently to O'hare and also has class once a week in Volo. I need to be within 20 miles of Lincolnshire (work rules) and we would both prefer to not have over an hour commute. Preferably more like 30-45 minutes for me which is what I have now. He doesn't mind driving a little farther, but it still can't be outrageous

Yes I edited because you had mentioned Lincolnshire earlier, lol.

So why not live in Wilmette? It's a beautiful area and is within 20 miles of Lincolnshire.

Sorry for the confusion, everyone I know around here references all of those suburbs as the northwest burbs. Looking to try and keep rent and utilities under $1,500. My main concerns are being in a good area and pet-friendly.

Could you buy a decent house for that price a month? I know Chicago area is high.

Could you buy a decent house for that price a month? I know Chicago area is high.

I thought about it but don't think it is the right time. I'm still young (24) and my DH (technically still fiance) and I are moving out for the first time. I have student loans, he is taking on a car loan, so trying to buy might be a little to much at once for a few years. Also, yeah things around here are pretty expensive. I don't need fancy by any means, but I want to feel safe and comfortable!

I thought about it but don't think it is the right time. I'm still young (24) and my DH (technically still fiance) and I are moving out for the first time. I have student loans, he is taking on a car loan, so trying to buy might be a little to much at once for a few years. Also, yeah things around here are pretty expensive. I don't need fancy by any means, but I want to feel safe and comfortable!

Agreed.

Deerfield and anything east will be pricey. The northern end of Arlington Heights has a lot of rentals. Carefully chosen areas of Palatine or Wheeling and Vernon Hills would give you some good options.

I've recently started looking online for apartments for rent in my area. This will be the first time - other than college - that I will be moving out of my parents' house!

What are some things I should look for/be cautious of when looking for rentals? Are there specific questions you recommend asking when I tour?

Also, if anyone else is from the suburbs of Chicago, any places you have had good experience with or would recommend? (needs to be dog friendly!)

LANDLORDS. They make all the difference.

Is the stairway and laundry room clean? Who owns it? Who is showing it? Are their rules logical (based on safety and law) or are they subjective and loony?

The laundry room for example: let's say it's in a spidery cellar, and you think it doesn't matter because you will never use it. IT DOES MATTER. Because if they don't clean the laundry room or maintain it, that probably means they don't fix things like broken stoves or clean the entryway or replace stairwell light bulbs.

The dog makes things tough. I'm assuming you don't make the big bucks, so that's tough as well. Do you have a credit history?

I highly suggest trying to find a provate landlord over property management- it's easier to negotiate over the dog.

I also suggest subletting for a few months first. Don't sign a year lease until you are absolutely sure you like the neighborhood. Be sure you know what the penalties are if you have to break and also be sure to know what the chances of subletting are. A subdivided house in a desirable neighborhood? Awesome. A unit in a new, but crappy "community" aimed at kids your age? Chances are 50% of those tenants can't PAY someone to take their unit off their hands

We live in Evanston. It's a great college town for young adults. I used to work in Lincolnshire and it took anywhere from 20 min to 40 depending on traffic and time of day. Evanston has lots of apartments because of northwestern university. We live 4 blocks from the downtown area. We walk all the time. Never felt scared. Numerous great restaurants, theater, shopping etc. off street parking is hard to come by. And pet friendly varies significantly. Average price for a one bedroom is probably 1500 to 2000 The El to Chicago or the metra line is there too. Depending on where you work my company used to have a shuttle from the metra station in lake forest to the office. It's a great community. We have lived there 33 yeArs and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the Chicago area.

My dd, son-in-law and grandson live in Nyles. The first suburb out of Chicago. It is between O'Hare and downtown. They live in a very nice area. When I take my grandson on a walk, I see these 3 story flats and they have signs in the windows that say, "for rent?" So maybe drive around in the area.

As someone who frequently moves and is always looking at what's for rent in the area (Live on NW side of city right now, husband works by Skokie), I'd say your best best would be around Skokie, the upper area by Old Orchard. I have a friend that bought a house around there and it's not so bad. I like to frequent Trulia for rentals, we aren't moving for about another year as I'm pregnant and we are going to keep our 2 bedroom house in Chicago until the baby is about a year old, he's sharing with his 6 yr old sister until then. Trulia shows some nice homes for rent(I don't look at apartments, but I imagine it being similar) and tells you a little about the area. Also, I agree with an actual landlord over a property management. Further north tends to be more costly, such as near Lincolnshire, then north of that is cheaper such as Gurnee. Also, know the area before you look. Someone posted Niles is nice, but there's some not so sides of there, as with most of the suburbs. If you find a home that you are truly interested in, don't hesitate to look, doesn't hurt to know what you want or like. But also check out the area during the day, at night, be sure it doesn't seem off. You can look up crime stats online for free as well. That's how we make our decisions. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate everyone's help and insight.

Funny enough, I actually live in Niles now. Grew up there my whole life! I definitely am trying to find a place with a landlord, as I have worked for a property management company before and learned some of their in and outs over the years. As the poster above mentioned I think my biggest worry is making sure the area I choose is nice and safe! Hopefully the right place comes along eventually :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter