Long Time Park Goer - First Time Being Nervous!

chekhovgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We've been going to Disney every year for the last eight years except for last year. We return in two months for the first time since 2018! We stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, so our strategy has always been to FP what we can at 30 days out and rope drop whatever else was a priority - this strategy has never failed us!

HOWEVER

My sense when reading up here, and in another group I'm part of, is that the parks are more crowded than ever. And of course we're hitting DHS for SWGE. We actually haven't been to DHS for a long time, not since before Toy Story Land expansion. Will this strategy still work and result in fairly minimal wait times? I've been checking line times in the app sporadically throughout the day and am always shocked at the wait times. There are so many things we want to do at DHS, don't know what to prioritize! Our kids are 10, 11, 12 and 13.

How accurate has MDE been? Does touring plans still do a good job? We used them before MDE existed and am thinking of doing it again.

In short, hoping for someone to calm me down, but I want the truth ;)

Thank you.

You said 2 months? That's the end of April/beginning of May? Crowds shouldn't be horrible. If you're there at rope drop, do it as you always have, get the 3 FP's done early, that way you can return in the evening with, hopefully, an extra FP! You'll be ok.

Plus, travel may be restricted at that point due to Coronavirus, crowds may start lowering drastically soon. Just kidding, kinda.

Just note - if you are going to MK - that Big Thunder in the MK will be closed in May so if that is important to you - check out the dates that it will be down and make sure you get it in before they close it.

As for HS, what rides do your kids like?

You could RD MMRR, MFSR or SDD, then try for Same Day TSMM/ToT/RNRC. There are same day drops at HS and you could try for a slinky or some other FP+. HS has turned into a nightmare - so you will have to do some waiting at the Tier 1 attractions.

You said 2 months? That's the end of April/beginning of May? Crowds shouldn't be horrible. If you're there at rope drop, do it as you always have, get the 3 FP's done early, that way you can return in the evening with, hopefully, an extra FP! You'll be ok.

Plus, travel may be restricted at that point due to Coronavirus, crowds may start lowering drastically soon. Just kidding, kinda.

Thansk for the boost of confidence. And ha on the travel ban!

Just note - if you are going to MK - that Big Thunder in the MK will be closed in May so if that is important to you - check out the dates that it will be down and make sure you get it in before they close it.

As for HS, what rides do your kids like?

You could RD MMRR, MFSR or SDD, then try for Same Day TSMM/ToT/RNRC. There are same day drops at HS and you could try for a slinky or some other FP+. HS has turned into a nightmare - so you will have to do some waiting at the Tier 1 attractions.

Thanks, we'll be there April 17-24 so we should be able to ride BTMRR, which we love!

At HS my kids have never been on RnRC, we definitely want to do ToT and TSMM. Of course we want to do SDD, but I'm thinking if we need to priortize things that this is actually further down on their list, as much as I'd like to ride...do you think we should rope drop MFSR or MMRR? Is the wait at end of the night better for MFSR?

Isn't Bonnett Creek a good neighbor hotel that gets FP access at 60 days?

Hilton Bonnet Creek is, but we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek...it's confusing, I know! I wish we got 60 day...but you can't beat the location and rates, we have an overall party of 10 and we love WBC.

How accurate has MDE been? Does touring plans still do a good job? We used them before MDE existed and am thinking of doing it again.

I still find Touring Plans' app (Lines) to be far more accurate than MDE when it comes to wait times plus I like that it gives you advice about whether to wait until later at night or do it now and when the lowest wait time is likely to be.

HS is going to be busy for the next little (or long) while with ROTR so no help there. It's just very popular. But we did go earlier this month and, while we avoided GE, it wasn't as bad as we expected. We got FPs for TSMM and I know that I didn't do it at 60 days because I'd forgotten that I had to renew APs prior to trying to get them and just didn't around to renewing them until about 45 days out and then just didn't get around to booking FPs until a week or two later. We didn't get FPs for SDD but rode with a friend who has a DAS so we were able to get into the fastpass line even though I hadn't been able to book one earlier; obviously the lines would have been longer if we'd done standby but I've seen lines for SDD twice that long so it struck me that TSL must not have been quite as busy as I expected and this was in mid- to late morning (we don't do anything close to resembling RD). I'd have to look up what crowd level expectations were for first week of February compared to when you're going to see if they're analogous but I'm not sure that they are entirely accurate at this point given the whole new paradigm with ROTR and boarding groups.

Thanks, we'll be there April 17-24 so we should be able to ride BTMRR, which we love!

At HS my kids have never been on RnRC, we definitely want to do ToT and TSMM. Of course we want to do SDD, but I'm thinking if we need to priortize things that this is actually further down on their list, as much as I'd like to ride...do you think we should rope drop MFSR or MMRR? Is the wait at end of the night better for MFSR?
I'm not sure what the RD crowd is looking like for MMRR, but I know the SDD RD crowd is crazy unless you are at the very front. Maybe RD MMRR first?

As for MFSR, I've heard it is much much better towards the end of the day.

Are you going to HS 1 day or 2 days?

If just 1 day, then you might try to get a FP for either MMRR, MFSR, or SDD. If you have absolutely no luck, then I would get FP+ for TSMM, TOT & RNRC and then RD MMRR and wait until the same day drops and see if you get lucky with SDD or MFSR. If not - wait until after dinner for those two maybe??

Thanks so much, @DrummerBoy523 ! While thinking this through today, I'm going to assume we're not getting MMRR, MFSR, or SDD 30 days out and will be happy to have FP for TSMM, TOT & RNRC and try to rope drop MMRR.

We are also thinking about applying for a DAS pass for my stepson, as last time he was there extreme anxiety building up during line waits made him end up sitting out many rides by the time we got to the end. In addition his already existing issues, he has developed Tourette's, so we're navigating that now. Last time he opted to walk through FOP and wait for us on the other side (after arriving early for rope drop and waiting!), but a super nice CM talked with him while we were on the ride and then gave us all FP to ride again with him and he loved it, so I think the DAS would be extremely helpful in enabling him to ride a lot more with us! Regardless, we're going into it like we normally would.

Thanks so much, @DrummerBoy523 ! While thinking this through today, I'm going to assume we're not getting MMRR, MFSR, or SDD 30 days out and will be happy to have FP for TSMM, TOT & RNRC and try to rope drop MMRR.

We are also thinking about applying for a DAS pass for my stepson, as last time he was there extreme anxiety building up during line waits made him end up sitting out many rides by the time we got to the end. In addition his already existing issues, he has developed Tourette's, so we're navigating that now. Last time he opted to walk through FOP and wait for us on the other side (after arriving early for rope drop and waiting!), but a super nice CM talked with him while we were on the ride and then gave us all FP to ride again with him and he loved it, so I think the DAS would be extremely helpful in enabling him to ride a lot more with us! Regardless, we're going into it like we normally would.
I would definitely look at getting the DAS for him. You’d still have to wait the length of time of the queue, but it would be much less stressful on him (and therefore all of you) being able to wait it out somewhere else, while eating lunch, doing a FP or show, or just giving him a decompression break.

I still find Touring Plans' app (Lines) to be far more accurate than MDE when it comes to wait times plus I like that it gives you advice about whether to wait until later at night or do it now and when the lowest wait time is likely to be.

HS is going to be busy for the next little (or long) while with ROTR so no help there. It's just very popular. But we did go earlier this month and, while we avoided GE, it wasn't as bad as we expected. We got FPs for TSMM and I know that I didn't do it at 60 days because I'd forgotten that I had to renew APs prior to trying to get them and just didn't around to renewing them until about 45 days out and then just didn't get around to booking FPs until a week or two later. We didn't get FPs for SDD but rode with a friend who has a DAS so we were able to get into the fastpass line even though I hadn't been able to book one earlier; obviously the lines would have been longer if we'd done standby but I've seen lines for SDD twice that long so it struck me that TSL must not have been quite as busy as I expected and this was in mid- to late morning (we don't do anything close to resembling RD). I'd have to look up what crowd level expectations were for first week of February compared to when you're going to see if they're analogous but I'm not sure that they are entirely accurate at this point given the whole new paradigm with ROTR and boarding groups.

Bit the bullet and paid for TP yesterday. So glad I did! Two trips this year, so this will be very helpful...

I would definitely look at getting the DAS for him. You’d still have to wait the length of time of the queue, but it would be much less stressful on him (and therefore all of you) being able to wait it out somewhere else, while eating lunch, doing a FP or show, or just giving him a decompression break.

Thank you for the suggestion and support. I asked for some advice about this on the disABILITIES thread and received some great feedback. I'm going to discuss with my husband, but I think we'll be doing this. I don't know why I didn't think to do it last time, as we know the biggest issue with his is waiting in line...physically, he can do it but I'm sure it will increase his tics and be more exhausting for him, mentally the anxiety is crippling and it's sad for all of us.

OP--Assuming things are as they are right now with boarding groups for RotR, then unless you get to DHS very early you won't be able to effectively rope drop more than maybe one ride, if that. There are enormous crowds at DHS at park open, all looking to get a RotR boarding group. The people who get there the earliest are at the front. Apparently wait times for rides like SDD are 60 minutes shortly after official park opening hours.

If you're planning to get a BG for RotR, please read the RotR BG thread here--the first two pages have all the info you'll need.

OP...I agree with previous poster that rope drop at HS is a madhouse these days. Watch some YouTube videos and you'll get a good idea of what to expect. BUT, here's hoping it all calms down by the time you visit. I don't have any experience with family/friends with anxiety challenges, but I've read/seen a few things Disney has on offer. I believe there are areas that are like quiet zones or something where you can go to get away from crowds, stimulation, etc. I believe they also have special events with less noise (firework bangs, etc.). I wish I could give you more info, and I could be totally wrong about this, but worth looking into I would think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter