long distance driving? help please

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
Which would you choose or reccommend?

Its between 19 to 20 hours from northern IL. to WDW, (ugh) :( and we are considering driving straight through leaving after work about 5pm, so to miss most of the worse big cities bad traffic at night. Or should we stop late at night for a few hours (4 to 6 hours) of a rest. No kids are involved, and we are used to swinging shifts so being up should not be a problem.

Thanks, MKY

:D

Well, if you can each sleep in the car, I think it can be done. We drove from MN last Dec, so from about 6 hours or so further than you. Started out at about 6:30 and drove through the night. We had 3 little ones with us, though so the next day required several stops and we did stop for the night south of Atlanta. If we had started out in Northern IL, though, you have to figure that that same amount of driving even with the stops would have gotten us pretty darn close to WDW!

We just returned from a driving trip to WDW at the end of January and we stopped overnight but that's because we have three kids. Our preference is to drive straight through, which we did a few times before kids, but with the kids we had to stop. When we drive straight through we usually leave Chicago via I-57 at about 3:30 p.m. and just drive, drive, drive. It's not too bad and you're in Florida within about 19-21 hours depending on traffic, speed, etc. If it's not a problem to drive through the night and alternate then I think that's the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter