LONG delays at the Entrance Gates

Brisal73

Earning My Ears
Disney needs to do something about the delays of getting guests into their parks. Sometimes the line can last 15 minutes or longer.

I understand the need to block ticket counterfeiters, but this is at a cost to the guest waiting in longer than necessary lines and has made quite a few guests upset before they even get into the park.

The system needs to change. As it is right now guests with multi day tickets need to get their pictures taken and then sign their tickets. The problem is that the majority of these guests needs to go through these steps which hold up the line for everyone else. Thankfully, the guests only need to do this once, but again their ticket still needs to be scanned for picture verification before they get to the turnstile. I won't even bring up the long conversations that some Cast Members have with the guests at the turnstiles.

It can be quite annoying if you are a single day user or Annual Passholder because it all comes down to being in the right line with no multi day guests in front of you.

Why not offer a separate line for Annual Passholders or Single day guests?

My last visit I felt they needed more lanes open. They had so few open.
It was not in the morning, it was always later afternoon that was crazy slow.

I agree with OP and politely tell the CM as much after she waves me to the gate CM when she sees we have APs. I am hoping that if enough people are vocal about feeling unnecessarily inconvenienced by this easily-solved problem that someone will finally grant APs at least 1 dedicated lane. Or just have multi-day ticket holders on their first entrance file through a few dedicated lanes -- or have the option to take pics at a ticket booth. If I were a multi-day visitor I would rather get slowed down on just my first Park entrance than every time entering either park! And one-day visitors and APers would sure be happier too!

Disney did try an AP only line several years ago. But, as usual, people could not follow the rules (e.g. I have an AP and 9 of my group members do not -- but they should be allowed to come with me into the shorter line because they are with a passholder, etc.). After a while, Disney gave up. This is the same reason why bag check doesn't have a line for those with no bags. People couldn't follow that rule, either (e.g. I don't have any bags and my friend with 10 bags wants to come through with me, etc.).

Disney did try an AP only line several years ago. But, as usual, people could not follow the rules (e.g. I have an AP and 9 of my group members do not -- but they should be allowed to come with me into the shorter line because they are with a passholder, etc.). After a while, Disney gave up. This is the same reason why bag check doesn't have a line for those with no bags. People couldn't follow that rule, either (e.g. I don't have any bags and my friend with 10 bags wants to come through with me, etc.).

They also tried a multi-day ticket only line last year and it didn't work out. It was usually shorter than the other lines and they would have to turn away everyone else trying to use it, clogging the area. Not to mention it would separate families with different ticket mediums.

I haven't noticed the lines taking that much longer with the ticket scanning, but I rarely go at park open when they may be taking more pictures. Previously you could just as easily end up in a line where the ticker holders couldn't correctly answer the questions about when and where they first used their pass and have to wait even longer for that to get sorted out.

Brisal73 said:
Disney needs to do something about the delays of getting guests into their parks. Sometimes the line can last 15 minutes or longer....
This just doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Have you ever waited to enter a Six Flags? And they don't even take a picture! And, that was not my experience at DL/DCA a few weeks ago, in spite if park hopping several times. The lines moved quickly and we noticed no real delay, which surprised us because we were prepared for a nightmare at the gate. We were pleasantly surprised. I'm sorry your experience was different.

I agree with OP and politely tell the CM as much after she waves me to the gate CM when she sees we have APs. I am hoping that if enough people are vocal about feeling unnecessarily inconvenienced by this easily-solved problem that someone will finally grant APs at least 1 dedicated lane. Or just have multi-day ticket holders on their first entrance file through a few dedicated lanes -- or have the option to take pics at a ticket booth. If I were a multi-day visitor I would rather get slowed down on just my first Park entrance than every time entering either park! And one-day visitors and APers would sure be happier too!

Why need a separate line? Don't APers have to show their picture too? AP holders are basically multi-day users also, so don't they do similar verification for them that they do for multi-day ticket holders? And if not, why not?

I have not been since they started the picture taking at the gates, but this only happens on the first day of the multi-day ticket, correct? Why is there a delay on all the other days?

but this only happens on the first day of the multi-day ticket, correct? Why is there a delay on all the other days?

Because while you have arrived today with your Multi- day ticket ,, I arrive tomorrow with mine and have to get my photo.. everyday new people arrive that need a photo taken..

We were there at spring break.. and although it was crazy it didnt take anymore time then what we have experienced in the past..

and one day we got stuck behind a party of over 15 people and EVERYONE of them needed a photo... what took the longest??? the teen girls trying to get their hair "just right" ::crazy2:, now THAT was enough to send me over the edge..!!!

larina said:
This just doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Have you ever waited to enter a Six Flags? And they don't even take a picture! And, that was not my experience at DL/DCA a few weeks ago, in spite if park hopping several times. The lines moved quickly and we noticed no real delay, which surprised us because we were prepared for a nightmare at the gate. We were pleasantly surprised. I'm sorry your experience was different.

I agree. 15 minutes sounds light. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or Great America can take an hour. We have gotten to Six Flags at 10 and not actually been in the park until 1130.
...and I'm a DL and a Six Flags AP holder.

Adding.... We have lined up at 615 for EE at 7, into DCA from GCH. If you wait until 7 on a busy day you will miss your EE.

Disney needs to do something about the delays of getting guests into their parks. Sometimes the line can last 15 minutes or longer.

I understand the need to block ticket counterfeiters, but this is at a cost to the guest waiting in longer than necessary lines and has made quite a few guests upset before they even get into the park.

The system needs to change. As it is right now guests with multi day tickets need to get their pictures taken and then sign their tickets. The problem is that the majority of these guests needs to go through these steps which hold up the line for everyone else. Thankfully, the guests only need to do this once, but again their ticket still needs to be scanned for picture verification before they get to the turnstile. I won't even bring up the long conversations that some Cast Members have with the guests at the turnstiles.

It can be quite annoying if you are a single day user or Annual Passholder because it all comes down to being in the right line with no multi day guests in front of you.

Why not offer a separate line for Annual Passholders or Single day guests?

Honestly, in my experience the process is faster now. They had 15 min waits to get in way before this was implemented. I find the age of the turnstile CM's seems to be the biggest factor, most aren't the fastest people on the planet per say, however they are very nice.

No ... They do not ... their picture shows up on the screen when the AP is scanned.

Yes, but doesn't the multi-day ticket holder's photo show up when their ticket is scanned also (after the first day of course)? The AP holders also have to have their photo taken the first time they use their pass, correct? Granted, there are less first time AP holders entering the park than first time multi-day ticket holders on a given day...but once they've had their photos taken they are all in the same boat.

I guess what they should really have is separate line(s) for AP and multi-day ticket holders who are using their ticket for the first time (and need the photo taken) and separate lines for single day ticket holders and multi-day/AP holders who have already entered once. Of course, getting people to go in the correct line is the hard part.

Yes, but doesn't the multi-day ticket holder's photo show up when their ticket is scanned also (after the first day of course)? The AP holders also have to have their photo taken the first time they use their pass, correct? Granted, there are less first time AP holders entering the park than first time multi-day ticket holders on a given day...but once they've had their photos taken they are all in the same boat.

I guess what they should really have is separate line(s) for AP and multi-day ticket holders who are using their ticket for the first time (and need the photo taken) and separate lines for single day ticket holders and multi-day/AP holders who have already entered once. Of course, getting people to go in the correct line is the hard part.

An AP holder does not go through the same process, and does not hold up the line for the photo. They get their picture taken by a PP photographer in the park.
You may not have your picture taken on the first day, it may be the second day, especially if you are taking an e-ticket to the turnstiles...just an FYI.
When I was there last week, the lines to get in were quite fast in my experience. I don't think special lines are going to work.iithey have tried them in the past, and something usually goes wrong. Guests just need to pick a line and be patient if need be.

So why can't multi-day users do the same thing?

That has always been the process for AP holders.
The Disney Corp obviously feels the photos of the multiday ticket holders should be done at the gate....not in the park.

Bottom line is Disney does not need to change their procedures for guests.
They need to do what is best for them. with today society believing rules apply to everyone else no system is going to be perfect.

If 15 minutes waiting to get in the park bother you, you probably should not be at the park on that day.

lucysmom said:
Why can't they just put in the fingerprint scanners?

DLR is skipping over them and will go directly to the RFID/fingerprint turnstiles along with everything else associated with RFID ticketing/FP+ technology once it's worked out first at WDW.

blutes said:
Bottom line is Disney does not need to change their procedures for guests.
They need to do what is best for them. with today society believing rules apply to everyone else no system is going to be perfect.

If 15 minutes waiting to get in the park bother you, you probably should not be at the park on that day.

Have you read this thread from the beginning?

I don't get it..since when is 15 minutes a long wait..? :confused3

I undrstand that is just an "estimate" of time..but honestly I just don't understand the big deal. It seems it's always something nowadays that we complain about and want answers why things aren't changed then we complain when things are changed and elays ensue because of said changes..we can't have it both ways.

Reporting the delays to CM's just seem silly..they are following prcedure for their positions not doing this deliberately to make your day worse.

I just don't get the mentality of how that 15 minutes saved made all the difference in the world..this also applies to people who drive in and out of traffic..etc.

Just my opinion though..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter