Long Car Trips with Kids

MadfordaMouse

Planaholic
Disneyland, here we come! We are traveling from AZ in 2 weeks to visit our beloved Mickey and spending 8 hours in the car with my two daughters age 8 and 12. Aside from the usual DVD/CD player thing (which has worked like a charm in the past, don't get me wrong! ;) ), I have also bought cheap little drawing kits and wrapped them like gifts so they can open them in the car and have some fun with them, but would love to hear how other families have kept their little darlings from killing eachother in the back seat and asking the ever-popular "are we there yet?" :teeth: Any advice or tips that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :grouphug:

We did two long driving trips this summer. Our kids are 4 and 8, and we dont have a DVD player. I packed two coolers- one with drinks and one with snacks. It saved money, gave us healthy options and saved time as well. The kids both have nintendo DS hand held games, and played with those some. We made many stops to sight see, potty, play, etc. They each brought pillows and blankets so they could be comfy in their seat. We got some cheap games at the dollar store like travel bingo (look out the window for various things). And try to tavel at night so they can sleep.

There's a post on here somewhere that is huge w/ all kinds of tips. Jagermom (from AZ too) posted it. I'm from AZ myself & this last June we survived a 7 hr trip to Newport Beach with my 8 yo & 2 yo in tow.

DVD's were a must. Also try the sing along Disney DVD's, check Amazon - keeps in the spirit, you know. ;)

I bought new things for the kids: Color Wonder markers, paper, etc .... cars....craft kits & kept them with me.
When someone got restless I tossed something new in the back. If I left it back there with them from the start they would have finished and become bored before we even got on the highway! :)

Also my older child and I took turns reading chapters from a book while little brother watched The Wiggles.

Thanks for the great ideas! I tried to find the Jagermom (sp?) post and I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a link? I did a search and, although there were some awesome ideas, most were for much younger children (mine are 8 and 12). Also, I loved the idea about the chapter book. I have found so many great ideas on this site, thank you guys for the help! :goodvibes

I totally agree with all the electronic choices that everyone has mentioned and thought I would add one more. The Leap Frog stuff is GREAT for car rides since they can't lose the pen. I know they have a bunch of older kid ones too. We plan on giving a new book to DS when he gets in the car on Saturday in his grab bag:) For my husband's grab bag I put in a couple cross word books and a rubix cube so that might work for your older kids as well. Another suggestion is something I got for my son but find myself fiddling with everytime I'm sitting on the couch watching tv; it's a mini etch a sketch...it's shockingly fun ahaha. Anyways that's what we are doing :D

Hi! When my kids were 6 and 3, we moved from California to Massachusetts and chose to drive (some said we were crazy, but we actually had a GREAT trip!) We drove for 8 days, anywhere from 8-12 hours per day, AND we only allowed one video a day. After moving, we took two long plane trips a year to visit California family. Anyway, I'll try to throw out a few ideas.

First one, pipe cleaners. It's amazing what can be created with a big bag of pipe cleaners in different colors. You could even make a game out of it, something like charades? Just write up a big list of possible words beforehand, cut them into strips and keep them in a bag for drawing out of. To make it more challenging, make some of those words be verbs instead of just plain nouns.

Origami. An origami book and assorted papers just kept my 10 year old really happy for a couple hours on a plane recently.

Are you into Disney pins? We picked up a book chronicalling most of the pins ever produced so far. This kept the attention of both my kids for a good long time and made for some fun conversation between us on the plane! Which pin do you wish you had? There are some really cool pins out there! Or maybe your kids collect something else - a book on baseball cards, or rocks, or....

Before any big trip, we always make a trip to one of the big book stores. The kids each get to pick out one new book and a couple magazines and/or puzzle books.

I also buy a few different bags of individually wrapped hard candies and dump them in a pile before the trip. Each family member can fill up a small ziploc of the kinds he likes. Then we each have somethings to suck on if we have to wait another hour or more to get to some real food. (My kids are good about this - they don't go overboard on the candy.)

If we're driving, a special treat is sometimes a trip to a gas station that has a really big store attached. It's amazing the different kinds of bottled drinks and snacks you can find at a gas station and nowhere else!

If I think of anymore, I'll post again later. Have fun on your trip! :wave:

We also did the dvds and the color wonder markers.We have a 12 hour ride so we usually split it up into 2 days.Someone told me once that their kids were fighting so they warned them that if they did not stop,the parents were going to pull over and make-out.Well the kids did not stop and the parents true to their word pulled over.The kids stopped fighting fast and never did in the car again.Another idea is to give them $10 in quarters and everytime they get into trouble they have to give their parents a quater. Just a few ideas to keep them from fighting.

wendithepooh said:
We also did the dvds and the color wonder markers.We have a 12 hour ride so we usually split it up into 2 days.Someone told me once that their kids were fighting so they warned them that if they did not stop,the parents were going to pull over and make-out.Well the kids did not stop and the parents true to their word pulled over.The kids stopped fighting fast and never did in the car again.Another idea is to give them $10 in quarters and everytime they get into trouble they have to give their parents a quater. Just a few ideas to keep them from fighting.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

wendithepooh said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Thats hilarious! My 12 yr old makes gagging sounds when her dad and I grab a quick hug in the kitchen! Sure makes a better punishment than the ol stand-bye "don't make me come back there" :teeth:

I cheat. We are leaving about 7pm so DD will sleep most of the way. She doesn't know we are going.

I too try to tie in some sleep! either leaving at the crack of dawn or late at night , nothing like sleep to make the time go by!

My 3yr old g-kids were with my wife and dd,they were forced to either sleep or watch movies on the tv with (gasp) a vcr. :rolleyes1

hey it came w/the Suburban. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter