• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loading Platforms and Balance Issues

persimmondeb

DIS Veteran
I always had some, and would indicate to the cast member that I needed to take it slowly, especially on rotating platforms, but they've gotten worse with age, and I'm no longer sure I can step on and off safely. I do use a cane, and I'm considering if it would be worth packing along a rollator (which I don't usually use, I'd borrow one of my dad's). I hate using an ECV, and I shouldn't have trouble with Disney Distances (especially if I refrain from "no cane tricks"). What kind of assistance can I expect/ask for? I asked a similar question for my dad a few years ago, and I half remember that they could stop the platform on some rides. I was at Chocolate World at Hershey when I had just started using the cane, and they insisted on putting me and Dad in wheelchairs and just rolling us up so we could board safely.

I was just going to ask this question! Weird! We are bringing my parents in a few months and I was wondering the same for my Dad. He's not as fast as he used to be and I wanted to know if he could ride on rides with loading platforms? Do they stop the ride? Or should I rule those rides out for him?

I'm interested in the answer also. We are visiting WDW in May and I have terrible balance. I don't think I can step into a boat, but I can stand and transfer on a flat, still surface. I've heard that Haunted Mansion with stop their walkway occasionally, but only so many times in an hour. Is that correct? Also, what about Toy Story Mania? Does it have a moving walkway?

For some with the moving loading area like Peter Pan. They can't stop, or slow down the moving walkway. I've heard this messes up the ride in some way if they did this. They can slow it for Haunted Mansion, and a couple of others. But, I can't remember which ones. Toy Story does have a moving walkway. But, they can't slow it. I remember having to wheel right into the wheelchair accessible car with my rental power chair I had right as the walkway was moving. SueM, the moderator of this board might be able to provide more helpful information.

Most moving walkways may be slowed or stopped on request, though it is at the discretion of the CM and if it's really busy there have been reports of this not happening. The moving walkways at Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover cannot be stopped. CMs cannot really provide assistance, either, so you'll want to have someone in your party who can physically assist. If you may need the walkway slowed, I suggest you mention this to any CM along the queue, as you may need to be redirected to board at the exit area. Post #28 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about which rides have a moving walkway.

Enjoy your vacation!

Toy Story does have a moving walkway. But, they can't slow it. I remember having to wheel right into the wheelchair accessible car with my rental power chair I had right as the walkway was moving. SueM, the moderator of this board might be able to provide more helpful information.

I think you are getting Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania mixed up? TSM does not have a moving platform. It is stationary at all three loading areas, including the wheelchair accessible one. Buzz Lightyear though does have the moving platform, if I remember correctly.

Most moving walkways may be slowed or stopped on request, though it is at the discretion of the CM and if it's really busy there have been reports of this not happening. The moving walkways at Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover cannot be stopped. CMs cannot really provide assistance, either, so you'll want to have someone in your party who can physically assist. If you may need the walkway slowed, I suggest you mention this to any CM along the queue, as you may need to be redirected to board at the exit area. Post #28 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about which rides have a moving walkway.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! Very helpful.

Also if you have any mobility device (including a Cain) the CM will have you avoiding steps

I know you said you did not want to use an ECV but I would have a number just in case. The CM for the most part are good at giving you time to get in and out of rides. There are a few that can not be stopped as said before.

Also if you have any mobility device (including a Cain) the CM will have you avoiding steps

I know you said you did not want to use an ECV but I would have a number just in case. The CM for the most part are good at giving you time to get in and out of rides. There are a few that can not be stopped as said before.
Steps are usually okay, unless they are very steep. I'd use a wheelchair or a rollator before an ECV. I can't drive a car, and I have some of the same issues with the ECV. I've tried them in stores a few times, and it was not fun for anyone involved. I'm a little tempted by the rollator, because it would give me a place to sit in lines, but since I don't need it to walk and I don't usually use one, I've been known to forget that I have it and accidentally leave it places.

Steps are usually okay, unless they are very steep. I'd use a wheelchair or a rollator before an ECV. I can't drive a car, and I have some of the same issues with the ECV. I've tried them in stores a few times, and it was not fun for anyone involved. I'm a little tempted by the rollator, because it would give me a place to sit in lines, but since I don't need it to walk and I don't usually use one, I've been known to forget that I have it and accidentally leave it places.
I get the can not use an ECV I am one of them, but I would strongly suggest having some kind of back up plane so if your cain is not enough having a roller or a wheel chair that you use like a roller. I do not really know your needs, but Disney can be more then what some people think and if you have a plane B and never need it great but if you do need it and have no plane B then this could put a small damper in your vacation.

Enjoy your trip, and I hope it is wonderful

Thanks! We're driving, so I think I might stash the rollator in the trunk just in case (Dad has three, I'm sure he can spare one for a week). Most of my concerns are with avoiding falls, rather than mobility per se, and I can walk a long way still, but the cane definitely helps keep me from wearing out, and if we decide to commando it for sixteen hours I might be happy to have the rollator.

I think you are getting Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania mixed up? TSM does not have a moving platform. It is stationary at all three loading areas, including the wheelchair accessible one. Buzz Lightyear though does have the moving platform, if I remember correctly.

Thanks. Yes I was. I was trying to remember which one had a loading platform from the time I was there late October to early November of last year. It just came to me that Toy Story Mania does not. Although Buzz does. The Little Mermaid ride does too.

Thanks. Yes I was. I was trying to remember which one had a loading platform from the time I was there late October to early November of last year. It just came to me that Toy Story Mania does not. Although Buzz does. The Little Mermaid ride does too.
Buzz Lightyear has a moving walkway (and Little Mermaid ride in Magic Kingdom does seldom).

Lanejudy posted a link to post 28 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which has information about attractions with moving walkways or stairs. This is a copy of that post:

Attractions with moving walkways: Guest with wheelchairs, ECVs and mobility devices do NOT need a Disability Access Service (DAS) card to board in the accessible area. Guests without a visible disability would need to explain their need to a CM.

MK

Haunted Mansion - The moving walkway can be slowed or stopped, but only if you are boarding at the unload area. We just rode it in October 2014 and it was stopped at our request so that DD could board. It was also stopped for exiting when we were finished. (We have been on it many times in the past and have always had it stopped - I added this recent info because some people have posted in the past that it did not stop). There is a transfer car with a wider opening that makes transferring in easier for some guests, but no wheelchair accessible car.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority - there is a steep ramped moving walkway to get to the second floor station. There is also a moving walkway to board and exit and a moving ramp to get back down to the ground after riding. I would notrecommend this attraction for anyone with trouble on moving walkways. These moving walkways can NOT be stopped and are sort or slippery and very steep metal ramps if they are not working and are stopped for any reason.

Buzz Lightyear - Can be slowed or stopped, but only if you board at the unload area. They will normally slow it and only stop if slowing is not enough. There is a special wheelchair accessible ride car that a wheelchair can be rolled onto. Some of the CMs are so efficient at getting a wheelchair into the car that they can load it with just a slight slowing of the moving walkway.

Pirates of Caribbean - steep moving walkway to get back from the underground exit to ground level (like an escalator without steps). There is an elevator to the left of the moving walkway, down a short hall. It brings you out into a sort of deserted looking semi-backstage area near the restrooms. Pirates has a very low boat that is a big step down to get into and a big step up to get back out.

Space Mountain - steep moving walkway at the exit. There should be a way to avoid this with a wheelchair, but I have not ridden it with DD and her wheelchair, so I don't know for sure how.

Peter Pan - can only be stopped in emergency, and stopping requires an evacuation of the attraction.
Sometimes, it is possible to have the CMs stop this attraction for the very first or very last ride of the day. Because of how this ride operates, they can only stop it for boarding if there are no other guests on the ride. For the first ride of the day, they would load guests with disabilities with only a small number of other guests on the attraction (the number who would fit in the cars on the stopped walkway) before starting the walkway. At the end of the ride, they would stop the ride and all guests get out before re-starting the moving walkway. (This information is from an area supervisor at MK).

Voyage of the Little Mermaid - the moving walkway csn be stopped or slowed and there is a wheelchair accessible ride car. Guests with mobility devices or who need extra time board at the unload part of the moving walkway. This is much longer than the regular loading part and allows much more time for getting into the ride clamshell.

Epcot

Spaceship Earth - you enter at the exit; there is a waiting area for people with wheelchairs, ECVs and special needs. The wait is sometimes long and they tend to load people with special needs in 'batches', so keep your group together while you wait. They usually slow the walkway, but it can be stopped completely if absolutely needed.

Where's Nemo - does have a moving walkway. It can be slowed way down and stopped completely. They will usually only slow it, but can stop it on request. There is a special wheelchair accessible ride car.

The Land Building - the building is on a hill and you enter on ground level on the top of the hill. There is a long steep ramp down to get to the level where you will find escalators or stairs to get down to ground level where the rides are. There is also an elevator on the far left side of the building. Look for the Garden Grill restaurant and head left, around a corner. This thread explains access for the rides in The Land (page 2).

American Adventure - does not have any moving walkways, but the access to the building is on ground level and the access to the theater is on 2nd floor. If not using a wheelchair, there are stairs or an escalator to get upstairs. With a wheelchair or other visible mobility need, you can use the elevator to the right of the building entrance. (see the thread I linked in The Land).[/list]

Disney's Hollywood Studio
Has no attractions with moving walkways.

AK

Kali River Rapids - has a circular moving walkway for entry and exit. There is a separate loading area for guests with wheelchairs/ECVs/special needs. You wait in the 'regular' line until just before getting to the boarding area, when you are sent to a different boarding area. In this area, they can 'trap' a boat for boarding; the boat stays in place and you don't use the moving walkway.

List of attractions with STAIRS: Guests with ECVs, wheelchairs and other mobility devices do NOT need a DAS to use the accessible areas that bypass these stairs. Guests without a visible disability would need to talk to the CM.

MK
Splash Mountain - there is an accessible bypass just before the stairs that sends guests to a waiting area near the exit

WDW Railroad at Frontierland and Main Street- there is a ramp at both stations, but it is steep and winding

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse - stairs are winding, steep and narrow

Tom Sawyer’s Island - the island is not considered accessible. There are narrow spots and places with stairs in the fort. A very narrow child's chair may be able to get around.

Big Thunder Mountain RR - has no stairs, but has some very steep ramps, which I think people remember as stairs.

Epcot
American Adventure - stairs to get to the 2nd floor for the show. By the stairs, there is an escalator, so you can avoid the stairs. There is a small elevator for guests with wheelchairs, ECVs and other mobility devices. See a CM to use it.

O Canada - there are stairs to reach the 2nd floor level shop area and the entrance to the movie. You can avoid that by following the path thru the garden on the right side of Canada as you face the shops from the front of Canada

At DHS
Beauty and the Beast - show is in a theater with stairs to get down to the seats. Most of the wheelchair/ECV accessible seating is in the back rows. Guests without mobility devices can sit in the rear to avoid the stairs. To get down to the wheelchair accessible seating in the front rows, there is a very steep ramp with many switchbacks.

Toy Story Mania - has stairs just after the point where guests pick up their 3D glasses. There is a ramp that bypasses the stairs.

Lights, Motors, Action - stairs in the amphitheater to get to the seating.

Indiana Jones - stairs in the amphitheater to go down to the seating. You can sit in one of the back rows.

Fantastmic - stairs in the amphitheater to go down to the seating. Very back row is for wheelchairs and ECVs. Several rows ahead are for guests with special needs. There is very limited accessible seating for guest with wheelchairs in the front row; access is by a steep ramp.
There is a ramp all the way from front to back on the far right as you face the stage. This area is the Fantasmic dinner package seating and guests who are not part of that ‘program’ are not allowed in that area before the show.

For Animal Kingdom

Dinosaur - stairs in the boarding area. Guests who can’t do the stairs use an elevator just to the left as you leave the preshow area.

Festival of the Lion King - theater has stadium seating with some seats up many stairs. Much of the ground level seating is for guests with special needs.

Nemo - stairs in theater to get down to seating or sit in stadium seating in the very rear of the show. Back row is for guests with wheelchairs and ECVs, but you can sit in the front row of the stadium seating. There is a small amount of accessible seating for wheelchairs and ECVs in the middle and very front of the theater with access via a ramp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter