Lizards in the bedroom!!

The ones I don't like are the black and blue skinks that come out to sun themselves on my porch and scurry back in the bushes when someone goes out the door.

Knock on wood, never have those in the house.

I am OK with the lizards in Florida and mice in general, but if there was a snake under my nightstand I'd move out, or burn down the house! Although I am ok with most bugs (not big disgusting things or spiders or palmetto roaches... things like crickets and such are OK), I have this theory that DH refers to as the Leg-factor. Legs should come in 2s or 4s; no more, no fewer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Last edited:
Welcome to Florida....

It's really all I can say...

Yup. Remember, the place you’re staying is on the lizards’ land, not the other way around!

I was surprised last year during a late night pool swim to see an Opossum scurry past the edge of the pool area. I had no idea they lived that far south. Always tons of anoles. Stray cats. You’re lucky if you go a trip in a ground floor condo without seeing at least one Palmetto Bug. I’m just happy I haven’t encountered a wild gator yet!

Yup. Remember, the place you’re staying is on the lizards’ land, not the other way around!

I was surprised last year during a late night pool swim to see an Opossum scurry past the edge of the pool area. I had no idea they lived that far south. Always tons of anoles. Stray cats. You’re lucky if you go a trip in a ground floor condo without seeing at least one Palmetto Bug. I’m just happy I haven’t encountered a wild gator yet!

Yep, opossums, armadillos, deer and coyotes in addition to the reptiles. There are wild pigs too.

Lizards I can deal with. Palmetto bugs... Y'all can keep them things <shudder>

Funny how reptiles and insects can engender such different reactions. One of my sons has a pet gecko, and the other is pushing to get a snake for his birthday. The two of them happily catch newts, frogs, and snakes. They love trips to the south where they have a chance of grabbing an anole or two. But heaven forbid there's an insect in their room! You should see my 9-year-old start hyperventilating and run away from a single stink bug.

What I've found remarkable are the toads. They are not attractive and hardly move even if you try to "shoo" them.

We have a full arsenal of bugs/lizards/snakes/spiders in Florida. But, I learned real quick how being diligent with the sprays/repellents does actually help minimize the infestation(s).

I live 10 minutes from WDW in one of the vacation rental communities and lizards are very common, so are Palmetto bugs and frogs. Just use a cup to catch them and send them on their way outside. We've had a black snake and a cottonmouth in our yard, and an armadillo family that lives under our swimming pool deck. Our neighborhood has had bears, hogs, and coyotes...It's Florida, you just live with the animals and bugs...it was their house first :smickey:

On a previous trip to Florida, it rained for several hours the one day. When we got back to our ground level room later that day we were greeted by 3 tiny frogs in the room.

Two weeks ago we arrived very late to our one night stay at All Star Sports to find it was already occupied by this guy. View attachment 431128

We were moving to Beach Club Villas the next day and requested any room not on the first floor.
WHAT is that?

My first trip to WDW in 2009 we had two lizard incidents. The first was a third floor room at SSR--we woke up the first morning to a tiny baby (almost see-through) lizard in our room. We opened the sliding door and he went out. We then moved to the accessible room we were to have for the remainder of our visit--there was a huge issue with it NOT being accessible and while we were waiting for resolution my Mom sacked out on the couch while I worked on a computer at the table. As I'm working, I notice something out of the corner of my eye. A probably foot-long lizard came out from under the couch! So--not knowing what else to do I again opened the slider (on the first floor this time) and herded said lizard towards the open door. He/she almost got to the opening and then decided to JUMP up on the curtain! OMG--what to do? So I flung the bottom of the curtain outside (where he/she was clinging) and closed the door on the curtain. He/she eventually left.

Two weeks ago we arrived very late to our one night stay at All Star Sports to find it was already occupied by this guy. View attachment 431128

We were moving to Beach Club Villas the next day and requested any room not on the first floor.

WHAT is that?

We thought it was a leech. It might be one, but when we got home I did a google search and found this:
https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-...new-guinea-flatworm-surfaces-in-south-florida
What we found in our room look just like this worm.

We thought it was a leech. It might be one, but when we got home I did a google search and found this:
https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-...new-guinea-flatworm-surfaces-in-south-florida
What we found in our room look just like this worm.

I ask because I stayed at SSR (again) in a first floor room last April Twice I came back to my villa to find a curled up (dead) black worm-ish thing in the shower. I just picked it up with some tissue and flushed it. Probably if I had found a third one I would have let the resort know--have stayed at SSR several times and this was the first time for this experience. Still trying to figure out whether it came up through the shower pipe or what. (roll-in shower)

I ask because I stayed at SSR (again) in a first floor room last April Twice I came back to my villa to find a curled up (dead) black worm-ish thing in the shower. I just picked it up with some tissue and flushed it. Probably if I had found a third one I would have let the resort know--have stayed at SSR several times and this was the first time for this experience. Still trying to figure out whether it came up through the shower pipe or what. (roll-in shower)

That would freak me out.

I found that thing in our All Stars Sport room. We were moving to Beach Club Villas the next day. I did show the Beach Club CM the picture when I asked for a higher floor.

Seeing my first lizard each trip is how I know I've arrived in FL again. I don't think about them til I see one, then I think how long since my arrival did it take to see one.

IMG_20180709_095452.jpg

Like everyone else has said, totally normal. My last house had a porch, my cat loved to sit outside in the sun. Many occasions he'd come back inside hiding a frog or small lizard in his mouth, then let it out inside the house to play with :crazy2: I started having to inspect his mouth before letting him back inside

Haha, I was just going to say, get a dog or a cat. My dog loves chasing the lizards outside. The cat (she stays inside) caught a baby lizard in the living room before I had the chance to shoo it outside. She had the lizard in her mouth and the dog came over and that was the only time I've heard heard the cat growl at the dog, LOL. She was saying, that's MY lizard. And of course before I could stop her, she ate it whole. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter