Live Trip Report from the Allure of the Seas!

Tracey, I live 15 minutes from Port Everglades. Let me know if you want to meet up before or after your cruise. :goodvibes

Another question - something that may be a bit subject to the luck of the draw as far as when you arrive goes;

How is the arrival/boarding process? Is it as efficient as DCL's despite the larger number of passengers?

Same question on the other end, the debarkation and clearing customs process.

RCCL has been doing this a lot longer than Disney - they actually have a really great process for embarkation/disembarkation. While the terminal is no where near as nice as Disney's is in Port Canaveral they do a nice job of signage and having employees on hand to direct you where to go.

Actual check-in process is very similar to Disney - give your passport/ID, get a room key that includes charging, leave a credit card for charges, have your picture taken to associate with your ID, sign some papers, etc.

Leaving the ship/luggage is similar to leaving a Disney ship. You are given tags the night before with a number and time when you can leave the ship (they will announce these as well). Luggage is in a giant warehouse and all be placed according to a number you received the night before. We did have an issue with some temporary 'missing' luggage when we left the ship on our RCCL cruise. Took them some time to find it. The good news is that they did eventually find it and it taught us a lesson on how to handle it next time (asking the right questions, where the missplaced luggage is put, etc).

Except for the 'flourishes' I think you will find it very similar to a Disney Cruise in how they handle getting on and off the ship.

Another question - something that may be a bit subject to the luck of the draw as far as when you arrive goes;

How is the arrival/boarding process? Is it as efficient as DCL's despite the larger number of passengers?

Same question on the other end, the debarkation and clearing customs process.

RCI built a terminal especially for the Oasis/Allure in Port Everglades. Surprisingly, it's very well organized for the amount of passengers on board those ships.

Here are a few photos:

DSC03475.jpg

The Check-in Area on the lower level

DSC03476.jpg

Boarding Lounge for Suite Guests on the upper level

DSC03477.jpg

Boarding Area for the rest of us ... on the upper level

John, your mention of Johnny Rockets reminded me of another question. I understand that there is a charge to eat there (other than breakfast). Philosophically, I'm not understanding that. I can see charging for some high-end dining, but Johnny Rockets? A place that is found in the food court of many malls? Admittedly they have good burgers/shakes/etc, but an up-charge?

OK, vent over. My question is actually how much is it and when is it in effect.

I've refused to eat at Johnny Rockets ever since I was at one about 8 years ago during a trip to Cedar Point. I was exhausted and hungry. After waiting a ridiculous amount of time my whole table got their food... Except me. Because the YMCA or some junk came on and all the servers had to go outside and dance... While my food was sitting in the window between the dining room and the kitchen. So I went and grabbed my food myself. Needless to say, this was not looked upon too kindly by the staff.

I have completed my online check in and will say it is much more involved than DCL. Many more reservations and choices to be made!

I was very late booking, but my understanding is the official word is online reservations can be made 60 days in advance of sailing. However, many report being able to book as far out as 103 days. There doesn't seem to be a definitive system in place or a rhyme or reason as to when it opens. I have made a note for myself to try and get a firm date as to when we will be able to do this for our group.

Online reservations are made for the shows, comedy club and specialty restaurants. As well as for Spa treatments, shore excursions and my time dining (if you are booked on it). I personally am not a fan of all this preplanning, I like the option of deciding on each day of the cruise what I feel like doing or not doing. I have booked a dining time for the first night of My Time, and didn't bother for the rest. I also was able to book Chicago for the shows on one night.

I have purposely left the rest of my week open, I want to see what I am able to get while on the ship. Will I be able to book specialty restaurants onboard? Will entertainment options still be available if I don't prebook? How my time is "My Time Dining"? All questions I hope to get answered next week.
I know we have some Uber Planners among us and the idea of planning every evening will most certainly be appealing to some.

One thing I like is that RCL does not send actual documents in the mail (they did send luggage tags if requested but as of August 8th that stopped as well). I know many of us like getting that delivery from DCL, but honestly with online check in it really has very little purpose. Once your online check in is complete you will get an email from RCL saying your edocs are ready. You will then print out from home your check in documents along with luggage tags. If you don't print luggage tags at home, you can still get them at port. My docs printed with a "sample" tag that I show to the porter who will then provide me with what I need.

I was also able to order in room gifts, photo cd's and beverage packages in advance. I ordered a soda package that cost $52.33 including the 15% gratuity and prepaid my gratuities for a total if $81.55 ($11.65/person per night).

Also of note, waivers need to be signed for things like Zip Lines, Flow Rider etc. These can be done in advance online and save you the trouble once onboard.

One of the things we found was that reservations for some restaurants seemed to be filled prior to departure.

We found that once on board, there were reservations available for almost any time you wanted.

There are large poster sized LED screens all over the ship showing you what restaurants have availability and what capacity percentage they are showing at that time.

Finding a place to dine...even at the last minute was never an issue.

We were on the Allure May 13-20 - what an amazing vacation.

We booked Giovanni's Table on Friday of that week, I called in the morning and had a choice of times.

Park Cafe and Main Dining room menu (not buffet) were my favorite breakfast spots.

Also, be sure to go to Vintages. That was our spot for pre-dinner drinks and tapas. Great service.

Vintages is the wine bar in Central Park.

It was really comfortable spot with sofas, arm chairs for seating. They also had a bar, some high tables and some outdoor seating in the park.

They had different wines that were not available elsewhere (a Reisling I had comes to mind), they also had different wine flights. The tapas was anywhere from $1-5 per plate and really good - cheeses, bread, meats (charcuterie), some seafood and my favorites were the feta stuffed pepadew peppers. I don't really like feta in anything else.

The servers were so nice and really made sure you were taken care of.

When we got home, we would joke with our friends and text Vintages at 7 since it became our pre-dinner meeting place.

Now that I have been on the Allure, I am not sure I want to do a smaller RCI ship due to these type of experiences.

OK - so if anybody happens to be looking for Val & I on our Oasis sailing, we will be in Vintages. :sail:

Have a blast Tracey! Allure is amazing! :goodvibes I'm way jealous but look forward to your live report!

Have a Coney Island, a Manly Breakfast and a Labadoozie for me! :rotfl2:

Can you give me an idea of how much the wine tastings or wines are in Vintages

I want your job Tracey! How fun for you. I realize this is work and a very serious job ;). I would like to know as much as you can tell us. I have been on RCL before but not a mega-ship. Looking forward to your postings. popcorn::

Can you give me an idea of how much the wine tastings or wines are in Vintages

I think the wines flights were between $12 and $18. If I remember correctly there were 4 glasses arranged on this holder. My husband definately thought it was worth the price.

and now that DCL has raised the single supplement to 100% of the second adult's fare, it's even more worthwhile to switch to RCCL :)
(and a lot of other cruise lines as well!!)

They had different wines that were not available elsewhere (a Reisling I had comes to mind), they also had different wine flights. The tapas was anywhere from $1-5 per plate and really good - cheeses, bread, meats (charcuterie), some seafood and my favorites were the feta stuffed pepadew peppers. I don't really like feta in anything else.
Nom Nom Now I am hungry and thirsty :goodvibes

OK - so if anybody happens to be looking for Val & I on our Oasis sailing, we will be in Vintages. :sail:

Right, Jeff? Sounds wonderful! Amy has said No to the cruise but I haven't given up hope. ;)

We are taking a little road trip with the kids on Saturday and I plan on playing the podcast from earlier this year about the Oasis. Yes, I am scheming!

Tracey, if possible, I would love some detailed info about the kids programs/nursery. If we are on the cruise, ::yes:: will have a 2 year old and a 4 yeard old at the time of cruise.

Tracey, I live 15 minutes from Port Everglades. Let me know if you want to meet up before or after your cruise. :goodvibes

Hey Michael! I am quick in and quick out for this cruise so I am afraid I won't have time. I would have loved to meet up and share a laugh or two!!!

I will definitely be checking out the kids clubs very closely and will get as much info as I can on pricing etc.

I will also collect as much info on drink prices....especially at Vintages as it sounds like it will be a favorite with our group.

I have been watching Hurricane Isaac news closely....I must say after years of watching the Love Boat, this isn't the Isaac I planned on cruising with!

I have sailed and travelled so many times during hurricane season that I almost don't even think of it as an issue when I book. Clearly I have been lucky which is why it doesn't come to mind. So far, it doesn't seem like it will impact me too much, perhaps an itinerary change. But honestly that doesn't bother me too much as I wasn't that crazy about the itinerary anyways!

I have decided to fly into Fort Lauderdale and out of Miami to get a feel for each. I always try to fly in the day before a cruise starts and this one is no exception. I get in to FLL late tomorrow night and will be staying at a hotel close to the port. More to come on that after my stay!

I decided to fly out of Miami and took transfers through the cruise line for $30

I really should think about getting packed....athough that would mean I have to finish unpacking from my last trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter