Live from HHI 08/28-09/02

OOF has a great sunset view. Their hushpuppies are the best too! :)

Very busy place. They do offer some early dining specials in the off-season so that can be a good time to try it. It's a big place and they can handle a lot of diners.

Hi Mom-

It's funny, at first we didn't really care for Old Oyster Factory. It is a little more high end than we usually like to eat at. We're more Sea Shack type people. But now we really like OOF alot. We usually try to eat there every trip. I usually get some form of fish, with an associated sauce and DW likes the crab cakes. We always start off with a half dozen Oysters Savannah. It isn't your typical fried seafood, which we like also and it is more expensive than we typically eat at, but what the heck we're on vacation and expect to pay more. Now last night, the crowd was very small, but I don't know that we've ever waited a real long time.

You know food is subjective. What I might like, someone else might not like. I know a lot of people don't like San Miguels - but it has become DW and myselfs tradition to always eat there our first night and share their nachos. I know some people don't like Salty Dog, but I really like their Shrimp and Grits.

Anyone, I do recommend OOF, though 5 years ago, I would have said no way :).

Thanks so much for posting your pictures.

We are a new DVC family---contracts at VWL, but hope for a stay at HHI in the Spring of 2012, if we can get something at 7 months. Our contracts came with some banked points from 2010. DH and I are planning our first DVC trip to WDW in Nov 2011 with DS, DD, DSiL and our DGD's first trip to visit with Mickey Mouse.

Hope to make HHI our second family DVC trip.

Wednesday morning update -

I just can't figure out using my iPad with the WiFi here in the resort. Last night I couldn't get connected at all. I tried and tried, but it would never give me the screen where you enter the security code. I reset my iPad several times. I deleted the connection several times. I finally gave up. But the funny thing was I could connect fine with my iPhone. And everything is working fine this morning. I just don't get it. Oh well, I can pretty much do everything I need to do on my iPhone anyway.

This morning got up and walked down to Live Oak Lodge and got coffee. I sat there and read the paper some. Interesting tidbit - Kroger has bought the Shelter Cove Mall. Their plan is to take down part of the mall and build a Krogers there. It looks like a lot of the stores in the mall are closed anyway. They hope to revitalize the entire property. We do all our shopping at Kroger, so I like this move.

Plan of the day - after DW wakes up and gets ready, I am going to drop her off at the Beach House. I am then going to explore the island. Will probably stop at Barnes and Noble and then head down to Sea Pines and walk around Harbour Town. I don't mind paying the $5 to get in, as we plan to go back tonight for dinner at the Salty Dog.

Oh BTW - we had dinner last night at Parrot Cove over at the marina. First time we've eaten there and I thought it was pretty good with good prices. I had an oyster po'boy and it was delicious. It is also very kid friendly if you have children with you. I don't know why we haven't eaten there before.

I have added some more pictures to my picture album.

Thanks so much for posting your pictures.

We are a new DVC family---contracts at VWL, but hope for a stay at HHI in the Spring of 2012, if we can get something at 7 months.

Hey neighbor and welcome to DVC. Did you all have any damage from Irene? I have a brother that lives in Tarboro and they were without power for 2 days. I have another brother that lives in Greenville and they had trees down.

You will love DVC. We've been members for 8 years and haven't regretted our purchase one minute.

Hey neighbor and welcome to DVC. Did you all have any damage from Irene? I have a brother that lives in Tarboro and they were without power for 2 days. I have another brother that lives in Greenville and they had trees down.

You will love DVC. We've been members for 8 years and haven't regretted our purchase one minute.

We were without power until Monday morning. We lost 2 trees in our yard, but no real damage to our property. Some parts of town are still without power and in much worse shape than we experienced. My DD works at a clinic in Princeville (near Tarboro). They were closed for 2 days and she says Tarboro really got hit hard.

We are so looking forward to our DVC stays! DD and I are the Disney lovers, but the guys put up with us and our addiction. I'm sure they will enjoy Disney much more with DVC.

Donna

Just checked into our unit. Had requested a water view in main lodge but got a tree view in bldg. 14 instead. Oh well, considering how many people are having problems right now, I'm just thankful to be here. Room seems fine, no issues to speak of. Arrived at 12:45 and had to wait about half an hour for room to be ready. Not too bad.

Getting ready to head to beach. Dinner tonight probably at San Miguels.

Question - has anyone eaten at the Sea Trawler? If so, how was it.

If you need dining suggestions....find Mike the pool guy. He helps us every year with great eating and tourist spots!

Thursday morning update -

Well last full day of our vacation :sad1:.

But going back to yesterday. We spent a fair amount of time in Sea Pines yesterday. DW laid out on the beach all morning while I just checked out the island. I spent some time at Barnes & Noble then went to Harbour Town and also South Beach. Then headed back to Beach House to check on DW. Stopped by Arby's and got us some lunch which we ate on the beach. The wind was blowing real hard, so we finally gave up fighting the umbrella and headed back to the resort. Spent most of the rest of the afternoon sitting down on the south end of the island and reading.

About 5:00 we then got ready and headed back to Sea Pines. Gave DW a chance to look in the shops at Harbour Town where she bought a charm for her Pandora bracelet. We then stopped at that little shopping area on the right as you leave Harbour Town. Man that place is dead, lots of empty shops. Not a whole lot there at all.

We had dinner at the Salty Dog. I had Shrimp and Grits and DW had the Seafood Pan Pie. Unfortunately we had forgotten how huge the portions are. We only ate about half our food. I told DW from now on, we will just split something when we go there.

We ended the evening by going back to the Beach House and walking on the beach.

One thing I noticed yesterday, at some point I was sitting out on our balcony and this man came out on the balcony next door and lit up this large cigar. The smoke came right over to where I was sitting. The smell was so strong I had to go back inside. It was very annoying. I thought you weren't supposed to smoke on the balconies.

Also, right now I can hear lots of noise from people walking around upstairs. As others have mentioned, try to get an upstairs unit if you can.

Plan for today - we're going to drive over to Beaufort this morning and then spend the afternoon out on the beach. Dinner tonight is at Roastfish and Cornbread.

I sure hate leaving tomorrow.

PS - I am adding some more pictures to my album (link below) right now.

If you need dining suggestions....find Mike the pool guy. He helps us every year with great eating and tourist spots!

Yea, I know all about Mike. He is a great guy. Unfortunately I have't seen much of him this trip. I saw him once on Sunday and that was it. I wonder if he is on vacation.

Final update -

Well we are back home after what was probably the best trip yet to HHI. We had a wonderful trip and am already looking forward to next year's trip.

But going back to yesterday. We got up yesterday morning and drove over to Beaufort. We walked around the historic area some, looked through the windows of some shops and then got an iced coffee. I love their waterfront park. It is just so nice and peaceful. We sat and drank our coffee (DW got a smoothie) and then drove back to HHI. After getting back to the resort, DW watched the Young and the Restless, while I went down and sat on the south end of the island and just enjoyed the view and relaxed. We then had a tomato sandwich for lunch out on our balcony and headed back over to the beach.

We spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach and had a great time. We then packed up our beach stuff one last time and went back to the room. We had dinner at Roastfish and Cornbread. Frankly, we were disappointed in Roastfish. We both got fried seafood and felt like it was too heavily breaded. The oysters were like hard little nuggets. But we both loved the sides - the Mac n Cheese was delicious. I told DW next time we'll just go for lunch and get veggies.

After eating, we went back to the Beach House and walked along the beach until it was dark. We said our goodbyes to the beach and headed back to the resort and took one last walk around the marina. I forgot to mention - they now have an ice cream shop at Shelter Cove. It is right next to the stage. Plus they had no sugar added ice cream (I'm diabetic). The ice cream was delicious and I feel like this is something that area has really needed.

Well, that's about it. This morning we got up and drove home.

For those interested, here is a list of where we ate in order of most favorite to least favorite -

1. Old Oyster Factory
2. Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House (Savannah)
3. San Miguels
4. Salty Dog
5. Parrot's Cover
6. Roastfish and Cornbread

I have added to my Picasa photo collection pictures that I took with my digital camera (they came out better than the iPhone). Check the link in my sig, if you're interested. Also, sorry for all the pictures of the boats at the marina. I just love boats of any kind (though I don't have one) and love to take pictures of them.

Now to start getting serious about planning our WDW trip, which is only two months off.

Hilton Head misses you....glad you had your best trip ever!

We arrived tonight, picking up where you left off I guess. Had take-out pizza from Giuseppi's, and plan on a late breakfast tomorrow morning at Signe's.

We strongly considered having an early lunch at Sgt. White's instead, and hanging around Beaufort a bit afterwards, but had to weigh the cost of being hungry enough to enjoy eat! tomorrow night for dinner. Ah, decisions, decisions......in the end, DH voted for Signe's.

Tell me about Sgt. White's. We saw it as we entered Beaufort and I wondered if it was good.

Tell me about Sgt. White's. We saw it as we entered Beaufort and I wondered if it was good.

I first found out about Sgt. White's after reading a blurb in Gourmet magazine several years ago and it's become a "must-do" to plan a stop anytime we are in the vincinity (usually when driving from HH to CHS). Anyway, Sgt. White is a former drill instructor turned cook for the Marines. He runs his restaurant with precision and order and you'd better stand in line correctly and mind your manners! If you're lucky you'll catch his big smile from behind the window where the delicious food is being prepared.

Besides the bar-b-que, there are many sides laid out for you to choose from and they are all SO GOOD that it's hard to choose. Best butter beans I've ever had anywhere. The basic menu is bar-b-que, 2 sides, a glass of iced tea or lemonade (the real stuff) for around $7.95. Can't go wrong!!!! Plus, there are other special order menu items you can get, but thus far I've never bothered to venture past the bar-b-que.

The rest is very basic....and usually that's the hallmark of a great bar-b-que place. A plain room with tables to one side and people happily eating, all contained in a small brick building with a pig on top on a parcel in front of a Piggly Wiggly....and the lovely scent of smoke to draw you in. Not to miss!

Thanks so much for all your postings. I love the resort at HHI and always enjoy reading about others' trips there. We will be there for a week after Christmas and then again in June. Can't wait!

we recently got transferred to HHI. and have found a couple great places to eat. first one, take 278 business back towards mainland, take right on Mathews, about two blocks take left on Marshland . about a mile ish on your right is a litte house like place, Roastfish and Cornbread. Fresh seafood, and baked goods that r to die for! ( I live right down the rd.) This is a locale haunt and in season or out it's always busy.
right on 278 corner of target rd and 278 is the DINER Greek and american food, juke box at each both and home made bakery. Really good just plain ole food, and good Greek food as Greek's own it. another local fav.
Keep on Marshland road and on the left you'll come to Broad creek Marina. There's a grill there that has a good burger, serves a good drink and has home chips and salsa that are great! I mean Miami great! no Kidding. It's always busy! Great burger and chicken salad is awesome too.
just back off shelter cove lane, near the target is a Piggly Wiggly grocery with a starbucks . They have everything from high end to store brand.every body on the island either shops at The Pig or bilo.

Glad you had an enjoyable trip ! I enjoyed reading your trip report and pictures too :goodvibes

You're welcome. DW and myself have been playing the "what were we doing a week ago" game today, since that was the day we checked in. This was without a doubt our best HHI trip yet. Usually I'm not wild about laying out on the beach, while DW could do it all day long; but this trip I really enjoyed it. We spent a lot of time on the beach and it was great. The weather was perfect. We ate a lot of good food and had two good side trips to Savannah and Beaufort. I just hate that it will be next June before we can return.

You're welcome. DW and myself have been playing the "what were we doing a week ago" game today, since that was the day we checked in. This was without a doubt our best HHI trip yet. Usually I'm not wild about laying out on the beach, while DW could do it all day long; but this trip I really enjoyed it. We spent a lot of time on the beach and it was great. The weather was perfect. We ate a lot of good food and had two good side trips to Savannah and Beaufort. I just hate that it will be next June before we can return.

I know what you mean, so nice to get back home but yet already missing that recent trip; it is fun to reminisce on those good times :thumbsup2 We just passed the 1 year mark since our last trip to HHI :sad1: & most likely will not get back there until summer, hopefully sooner though, DH has been so busy at work lately I'll have to remind him that HHI is just what he needs when things at work are back to normal !

:)

Monday PM update -

Okay, pet peeve - twice now we've come to the HH resort and left our laptop at home, just relying on our iPhones and iPad. Both trips, we've had issues with the WiFi. It seems to ask for the WiFi code every time we turn our devices on but a lot of times it doesn't ask for the code but won't let us on either. Very flakey. Anyway, I did finally get on after trying multiple times.

We stayed out on the beach most of the day. It was perfect weather. Now just chilling in the room. I did venture out a little while ago to take some pictures with my regular camera. Heading out for dinner after DW finishes her shower.

Dinner at Old Oyster Factory.

Plan for tomorrow - Savannah with lunch at Mrs. Wilkes.

I was just at HH with my laptop and didn't experience any problems with the WiFi. We were streaming video and worked fine.

Tuesday 6:00 update -

I sure hope you all aren't getting tired of my ramblings. After it stopped raining we headed back to the beach and sat out there for a couple of hours. It was really nice, nice cool breeze and sun behind the clouds for the most part, so I didn't have to fight the umbrella. I have not yet figured out the trick of using the umbrella we brought. It seems that it is always blowing away or turning inside out. I have to use it though because of a history of skin cancer.

Tonight we are going to eat light, since we ate such a big lunch. We're going to just walk across the bridge to Parrott's Cove, so DW can get a small salad and I'll get some kind of sandwich.

If you have any questions please let me know. Have I ever said how much I love this place? Even more than WDW :scared1:.

We love HH more than WDW too for relaxing. But we stayed at VB this trip too, and the DS14 loved it more than HH. I think it was the fact there were no teen boys at HH this trip, but plenty at VB. And the CM's didn't seem to have the spirit of ones in the past.

Are you digging a hole a good 18-24 inches to put the umbrella in?? I am an umbrella expert. I have never had an umbrella take off. LOL Dig deep!!!!

Janis

I was just at HH with my laptop and didn't experience any problems with the WiFi. We were streaming video and worked fine.

I'm kind of thinking it might be an iPad problem. I was able to connect my iPhone with no problems at all. Oh well, I will try again next June - but who knows what kind of electronic device I'll have then, I tend to always get the latest and greatest :lmao:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter