Life is a Journey - a SE Asia TR

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Many of you will be aware by now that DH and I take an annual anniversary trip. We've just gotten back from our most recent one, where we visited Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong, plus squeezed in a day in Perth within our week of leave. Despite the fairly hectic pace, it was a thoroughly enjoyable trip, with plenty of opportunities for relaxed sight-seeing among the chaos!

Day 1: Melbourne – Penang via Singapore

After a big night of last minute preparations, we awoke early to a message from TripIt Pro that our Jetstar flight would be delayed 2 hours. This would give us 35 minutes to change in Singapore, which wouldn’t be enough, especially if it was further delayed (which in our experience is not uncommon!). We ummed and ahhed about what to do. DH looked up other flights on his iPad, while I eventually got up and started on the few last minute things we had to do. Eventually we decided that it may be worth considering booking a Scoot flight all the way through to Penang. We continued umming and ahhing for a while, but ended up deciding that we weren’t confident to rely on Jetstar to look after us, and we didn’t want to risk missing that flight, so we started the booking process on Scoot. Just before pressing the Pay Now button, DH called Jetstar to check whether they were going to offer us anything. They were still playing dumb at that stage and said they weren’t aware of any delays, so we went ahead and bought our Scoot flights and headed off to the airport!

About half an hour later, DH got a text message from Jetstar advising of the delay. He checked his emails on our way to the airport, and there was an email from them too, advising him to call them regarding our flight, so call he did. Apparently we had been bumped to a Qantas flight to Singapore! This was of course great news, but now we had a Scoot flight to deal with lol! DH looked up the Tc and Cs, and discovered that Scoot are actually pretty flexible, so he thought it was worth calling to see if we could salvage that flight to use for next year’s anniversary trip! DH got onto quite a helpful lady, who was happy to change the date in the end, but couldn’t give us the dates we wanted because they weren’t available yet. We decided to go with Grand Final weekend, since worst case we will still get a long weekend there (I don’t have any leave left after booking in all this year’s trips, so I’ll struggle to get more than 1 day off now), but we’ll still try to change it again once next year’s dates are available. This was all at no extra cost, about 2 hours before the flight was due to depart! We were very impressed, and are now looking forward to experiencing their in-flight customer service!

At the airport, check in was a little confusing. We went to Jetstar first, but we’d already been removed from their database, so we were sent over to Qantas. Unfortunately Qantas had rather a long line for check-in, and we were unable to use the bag drop queue even though we’d already checked in online with Jetstar. Still, the line moved fairly quickly, and soon enough we were checking in with Qantas. We were given seats towards the back in the middle section, but we were really in no position to complain and at least I would get an aisle seat (which I wouldn’t have in Jetstar with their 3-3-3 seating configuration). This was actually quite an important consideration as I had walked 20km of tough hills the day before, and my legs were pretty stiff!

Security and passport control were pretty quiet, and we got through nice and quickly. It was kind of a weird experience using the automated passport gate, but it certainly seemed to help get people through nice and quickly. We had no lounge to get to, so just wandered through the airport at a leisurely pace, browsing a few shops as we went. We only had about 20 minutes sitting at the gate, and it went quite quickly connected to the airport’s free wifi. With seats so far at the back of the plane, we were in the first group called to board.

We were on one of the newly refurbished planes, which looked so sleek and modern. Much better than the old ones, even in economy ;-) Plenty of storage pockets in the seat back, good quality entertainment unit and screen, decently comfortable seats. It was actually a wonderful flight with really great service, nice meals, and so much entertainment to choose from, I didn’t have time to watch everything I wanted to! Smooth as glass too. Probably one of my favourite flights so far, despite being in one of the last rows of economy lol! I got up to stretch my legs about every hour, and was about to just wander to the back of the plane and do a few stretches in there. Between that and covering my legs in compression wear, they didn’t get too sore.

Because we’d flown with Qantas, our bags were checked all the way through to Penang, so all we had to do in Singapore was make our way from one gate to another and relax! If we’d have stuck with Jetstar, we would have had to collect our bags, go through immigration, and check in again. We leisurely wandered through the airport, checking out some of the shops and the London/Chinese New Year display, on the lookout for somewhere to sit and relax with a drink. We found an English style pub that looked ok. We ended up getting some spring rolls and a bowl of chips to share too, knowing we wouldn’t be eating again until we landed in Penang after 9pm.

The next flight (with Jetstar Asia) was certainly a step down from Qantas, and I found myself quite glad that we didn’t have to spend our entire trip to Singapore like that! The seats were so close together, and there was only room in the seat pocket for a couple of smaller items. Being such a short flight, and Jetstar not allowing us to use devices during take off and landing, I didn’t even get through one episode of Once Upon a Time on my tablet! The landing was pretty rough through some thick clouds. There was one drop big enough that it made several people in the cabin shriek. I was quite glad to get down back onto solid ground!

After picking up our luggage and making our escape from the airport, we lined up to get a taxi to the hotel. It was quite an organised system – we lined up inside the terminal to purchase a taxi voucher, then were directed to the pick up area where there was a taxi waiting for us. It was a pleasant enough drive to the hotel in the dark, and I was looking forward to exploring some more in the daylight.

At the hotel we checked in and freshened up quickly in our room before heading to the rooftop terrace for some refreshing beverages and free popcorn and ice-cream! The rooftop terrace was a very pleasant place to while away the time, and we pretty much had it to ourselves when we arrived. Two very small gripes were the darkness – the waiters had to shine a torch on the drinks menu – and the noise level of the movie. Sitting in a comfy chair with a beverage, we suddenly realised how tired we were. There seemed to be more and more people arriving too, so we called it a night and headed back to our room. The room was pretty amazing, with light industrial style décor, and a funky modern bathroom.

Yay a TR! What's with the egg shaped toilet?! Scoot sound awesome - being happy to change your flights like that. Brilliant!

Yay a TR! What's with the egg shaped toilet?! Scoot sound awesome - being happy to change your flights like that. Brilliant!

Ah yeah... not quite sure why the toilet was egg-shaped... I was a bit nervous about using it the first time, but it was fairly normal lol!

Scoot were awesome :goodvibes

Day 2: Penang - Hat Yai and the start of our overnight train adventure

We set an alarm for a reasonable time this morning, knowing that we didn't have long in Penang and wanting to make the most of our time there. We started with our included awesome buffet breakfast. This pretty much had some of everything, all fresh and tasty. There was also an egg station, where a chef would prepare eggs any way you liked (which we learnt slightly too late also did roti!).

While we were downstairs we asked at the front desk about what the best way to get to Hat Yai was. Originally we were going to catch the ferry to Butterworth and get the train all the way from there, but we'd discovered that if we caught the train from Hat Yai instead, we could have a 1st class sleeper for the overnight part of our trip. We were given directions to the bus terminal, and wandered down to sort out some tickets. Despite being a ridiculously easy 2 minute walk from the hotel, we managed to get a little lost lol! But we got there eventually.

We found a ticket vendor and discussed our options. The bus ride would be several hours long. If we took the afternoon bus, we would just miss our train. The other option left at lunch time, which only gave us about 2 hours until we had to be back at the bus station ready to board! We purchased our tickets, but we were just short on cash and they didn't accept card. He allowed us to pay a (large) deposit and give him the rest when we picked up the tickets. We hurried back to the hotel to get organised.

We packed our bags so that we could just grab them and go when we got back. We'd wanted to check out the rooftop deck during the day, so we quickly headed up there on our way out to check out the views. To one side we could just see the water, with the bridge back to the mainland, and Butterworth in the distance.

To the other side we could see across the tops of several tall buildings to Penang Hill.

Then it was back downstairs, with about an hour to wander some of the closer historic streets, remaining on the lookout for an ATM and somewhere to stock up on snacks for the bus ride.

Last edited:
We didn't have time to really put together a plan for our walk, so we just kind of headed towards the ferry terminal. We were lucky enough to stumble across an information centre early on, and picked up a map. There were basic maps at every major street corner, so it's fairly easy to find your way around, but it was nice to have a bit more detailed map. We kept wandering towards the Clan Jetties, passing a few points of interest along the way. As we hadn't had time to do much research on our route, we didn't really know what things were, but it all looked very interesting.

Unfortunately crossing the road to get to the Clan Jetties was going to be a mission, and since we didn't really have time to waste, we thought we'd just walk along a bit and then head back. In the course of our walking along, we happened to come across a footbridge over to the ferry terminal. There wasn't much to see there, but we were enjoying our wander nonetheless.

For those who need a translation, this was the entrance ('masuk') to the ferry boarding area. Obviously the ferry does not allow Alsatians, baby cows, cartoon cats, or parrots on board :rotfl:

We had really wandered a bit too far, and needed to get back to the hotel ASAP. We had a quick look at the map again to figure out the quickest route, and realised that it actually wasn't that far if we took most direct route. That gave us time to linger at a couple of sites along the way.

Unfortunately, despite my eagle eyes looking out for street names, we eventually discovered that we had missed our turn off. We were then rather lost, but kept heading towards the tall circular building looking for a familiar sign. We went through three 7-Elevens before we found one that would actually give us cash! In the meantime, we couldn't stock up on snacks because we didn't have any money. It turned out that we were pretty close to the hotel, and soon turned into a familiar street. By that time we were hot, stressed and a little grumpy! With no time for mucking around, DH grabbed the luggage and checked out while I did a quick last minute scout around the room. Luckily it was only a few minute walk to the bus station, and we made it with 2 minutes to spare!

So of course it turned out that the bus wasn't ready yet anyway. Once we'd gotten our tickets sorted out, DH wandered off to find some snacks while I hung around in case the bus arrived. While I was standing there, I suddenly realised that this place was kind of familiar. I ended up realising that this bus station was under the big shopping centre that Mum and I had visited on our brief trip to Penang in 2000! We'd stayed at one of the beach resorts on that trip, but Mum and I had taken a day trip into George Town mainly to check out the shopping.

The bus turned up eventually. It was just a minibus, but it was very comfortable and blinged up like an Emirates plane!

We got ourselves settled in for the next few hours, and enjoyed the scenery as we left George Town and crossed the bridge to the mainland.

We briefly stopped in Butterworth to pick up another passenger, then hit the road again. There were some decent views from some of the bridges.

Soon we were in a more rural area, skirting the edge of Highlands country.

We caught a couple of glimpses of Langkawi in the distance.

The time went fairly quickly until we reached the border crossing. We all piled out of the bus to officially leave Malaysia. It was very organised and didn't take long.

We all piled back into the bus for the 2 minute drive to the Thai border formalities area, which was a little less organised. Our driver must have spoken to some contacts and soon led us to another counter with no line. After that it all went pretty smoothly, and we were back out on the Thai streets nice and quickly. Here's what it looked like on the other side of the border.

The next couple of hours went pretty slowly. This Thai section wasn't as scenic, and DH and I were getting pretty tired. If it had been much longer, I would have fallen asleep! We finally made it to Hat Yai.

We made a few stops to drop people off along the way, and eventually made it to the train station. Glad to be able to stretch our legs, we hopped out of the van ready to start the next part of our journey.

We would have several hours in Hat Yai, so we found a coffee shop at the station. After enjoying our coffees and a brownie, DH went off in search of a SIM card, and I tried to figure out what on earth was going on in the Thai soap playing on the TV. Upon DH's return, we went to collect our train tickets (it would have cost us $60 to have them sent to Australia!). We found the luggage services desk fairly quickly, but there was some confusion about the tickets and it took a while for DH to figure out what was going on. It all turned out to be a misunderstanding, and our tickets were fine.

After that, we felt like we needed a drink, so wandered into the streets of Hat Yai in search of such an establishment. It was harder than we thought it would be lol! It seemed to be an awkward time of day where coffee shops were closing, but pubs hadn't opened yet. Eventually we found a reasonable looking place and had a light dinner and DH got his beer. We didn't want to wander too far with our luggage etc, but we decided to do a blocky on the way back to the train station and see a bit more of Hat Yai. DH managed to pick up some sunnies along the way, and we both enjoyed all the lanterns and other CNY decorations.

Back at the station, we soon discovered that our train had been further delayed. This would take our wait time up to 4 hours. If we'd have known that from the beginning, we would have tried to find somewhere to get massages or something to fill in the time. Or we could have taken the later bus from Penang and spent more time there! And we knew then that we would definitely not make our connecting train. Unfortunately there wasn't much we could do about it though, so we just hung around the station, people watching. There was plenty of action going on with trains constantly coming and going. At 6pm the national anthem was played, and everyone stopped what they were doing to stand. Apparently this happens daily in public places.

Finally our train arrived!

We found our carriage nice and easily, and were directed to our little cabin for the night. The beds had already been made up.

It was quite cosy, and we managed to sit quite comfortably on the bottom bunk for the first hour or so. There was a squat toilet and a western style toilet at the end of the carriage, which managed to stay quite clean and tidy throughout the night.

There wasn't really much to see since it was already dark (it was still supposed to be light when we departed!). DH and I ordered some dinner, but by the time it arrived we'd realised how tired we were and didn't really feel like eating. Still, we managed to eat a fair bit before getting settled in our bunks and calling it a night. I had the top bunk, which was quite comfortable (and I felt quite safe with the rail), but it was freezing and I needed to layer on all the jumpers and jackets that we'd both brought with us lol! Other than that, I slept quite well.

Day 3: Continuing the Journey to Kanchanaburi

I woke naturally just on sunrise, and joined DH on the bottom bunk to take in the sunrise vistas out the window. Unfortunately the window was a bit grubby, but we very much enjoyed this part of the trip.

Soon the hazy outlines of hills turned into beaches...

Then hills again.

While taking in the scenery, we were served breakfast (which we had also ordered the night before). I had ordered a ham and cheese sandwich, thinking it would be hard to go too wrong with that. What came out appeared to be a ham and salad sandwich smothered in mayo. Yuck. I had my milo, and ate some snacks that we'd brought on board with us. Nothing wrong with a bit of chips and biscuits for breakfast lol!

We passed through Hua Hin, which is apparently quite a popular local beach holiday destination. It looked interesting enough that we might check it out a bit more on a future trip. After that, we passed a lot more rural scenery and a couple more decent sized towns before finally arriving at Nakhon Pathom.

We had well and truly missed our connecting train, so we really had 2 options. We could hang around for the day and get the next train at 3pm (it was about 10:30am when we arrived), or we could try to find a bus to take us to Kanchanaburi. It wasn't too much further, so we decided to try for the bus. DH checked out google and found a bus station just down this street and around the corner.

We found the ticket window, and pointed out our destination on the map. There was some confusion and nobody there seemed to speak a word of English, so we weren't really achieving much. Luckily a kind lady was walking past, heard the confusion and stopped to help us. She spoke good enough English for us to understand that we had to go to the big bus stop, that there were no tuk-tuks or taxis, and that we would have to take a motorbike. I thought we were stuck then, since we still had our luggage with us and I wasn't sure how that would go on a motorbike. However, the 'drivers' whisked up our luggage and just held it in front of them. With a deep breath, we settled ourselves on the back of the bikes and were off! It was actually quite an enjoyable ride, not scary at all, and only 10 minutes.

Luckily we had been taken to the right place, and we bought our bus tickets. The next bus was leaving in about half an hour, but it was already there waiting for passengers, so we got in and made ourselves comfy. We were told the bus ride would be about an hour and a half. We were parked opposite a university, and the rest of the bus passengers were pretty much all students. Finally the bus was full and we were off!

This bus wasn't quite as fancy as our previous one, and stopped quite often to let people off along the way, but it was comfortable enough and the journey went relatively quickly. We were dropped off at the bus terminal in Kanchanaburi, where we had to get a tuk-tuk for the very last 5 minute ride to the hotel.

And finally, we made it!

The room was nice, but the real highlight were the common areas - the riverside terrace and infinity pool with views to the Bridge over the River Kwai!

After a quick freshen up, we headed straight for the restaurant for some real food and of course some cocktails. While we were there, we were lucky enough to catch a train going over the bridge.

It had been a big couple of days, but we were glad we'd taken the train and the bus and the bikes and the tuk-tuk - it really added to the adventure of it all! And what a lovely place we had now to relax for a few days.

I remember we arrived to see the bridge in those little motored long boats. You've also brought back the memory of the train ride. It was beautiful. Look forward to seeing more of your photos and hearing about your experiences.

Wow, that is a lot of travel! It's been nearly a decade since I've been to Thailand--we almost went for our anniversary this past year, but didn't. One of these days I'll have to take my husband there--looks like you guys really found some nice hotels to stay at, both in Penang and in Thailand as well! That's awesome. Sometimes booking a hotel and hoping it's a good one is the hardest part of planning a trip.

Finally got back here! Sorry I've been MIA but real life has been a little busy this year.

There was a squat toilet and a western style toilet at the end of the carriage, which managed to stay quite clean and tidy throughout the night.

They did??? How on earth did that miracle come to pass????

What came out appeared to be a ham and salad sandwich smothered in mayo.

So.....salad and mayo = cheese. Hmmm. Did you complain?

we would have to take a motorbike.
the 'drivers' whisked up our luggage and just held it in front of them

Welcome to Thailand!!! LOL.

That would have been a real sight to see.

And finally, we made it!

YAY!

the riverside terrace and infinity pool with views to the Bridge over the River Kwai!

WOW! What views!!!

Looking forward to the next edition.

We didn't have time to really put together a plan for our walk, so we just kind of headed towards the ferry terminal. We were lucky enough to stumble across an information centre early on, and picked up a map. There were basic maps at every major street corner, so it's fairly easy to find your way around, but it was nice to have a bit more detailed map. We kept wandering towards the Clan Jetties, passing a few points of interest along the way. As we hadn't had time to do much research on our route, we didn't really know what things were, but it all looked very interesting.

Unfortunately crossing the road to get to the Clan Jetties was going to be a mission, and since we didn't really have time to waste, we thought we'd just walk along a bit and then head back. In the course of our walking along, we happened to come across a footbridge over to the ferry terminal. There wasn't much to see there, but we were enjoying our wander nonetheless.

For those who need a translation, this was the entrance ('masuk') to the ferry boarding area. Obviously the ferry does not allow Alsatians, baby cows, cartoon cats, or parrots on board :rotfl:

We had really wandered a bit too far, and needed to get back to the hotel ASAP. We had a quick look at the map again to figure out the quickest route, and realised that it actually wasn't that far if we took most direct route. That gave us time to linger at a couple of sites along the way.

Unfortunately, despite my eagle eyes looking out for street names, we eventually discovered that we had missed our turn off. We were then rather lost, but kept heading towards the tall circular building looking for a familiar sign. We went through three 7-Elevens before we found one that would actually give us cash! In the meantime, we couldn't stock up on snacks because we didn't have any money. It turned out that we were pretty close to the hotel, and soon turned into a familiar street. By that time we were hot, stressed and a little grumpy! With no time for mucking around, DH grabbed the luggage and checked out while I did a quick last minute scout around the room. Luckily it was only a few minute walk to the bus station, and we made it with 2 minutes to spare!

Sorry stuffed up previous post. Reading your day 2 and DH would have been stressing to the max as time was ticking on and likely I had got us lost! but he prob wouldn't have let us go off wandering in the am then either (which would have made me cranky!) Hotel looked very nice but can't say Penang grabs me. 1st class sleeper looked OK and after all the travelling would be welcome! You certainly had an adventurous time of it getting to your destination. Think we are getting too old for all that mucking about - lol! but glad you enjoyed it. The hotel and views do look worth the trouble and not what I imagined.

Last edited:
Hmm seems like I've gotten a bit behind on things here...

Wow, that is a lot of travel! It's been nearly a decade since I've been to Thailand--we almost went for our anniversary this past year, but didn't. One of these days I'll have to take my husband there--looks like you guys really found some nice hotels to stay at, both in Penang and in Thailand as well! That's awesome. Sometimes booking a hotel and hoping it's a good one is the hardest part of planning a trip.

I have a pretty good strike rate on hotels. I do spend a *lot* of time going through reviews and various hotel/agency websites though!

Finally got back here! Sorry I've been MIA but real life has been a little busy this year.

Looking forward to the next edition.

I hear ya!

I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to complain about the sandwich, especially given the language barrier and the very low likelihood of them actually understanding my complaint in the first place.

I was pretty tempted to take photos from the motorbike, but I resisted the temptation to fumble around in my pocket for my camera as we were going along - I wasn't quite that comfortable with it!

Yep, we were very happy with the hotel. Looked just like it did online.

Sorry stuffed up previous post. Reading your day 2 and DH would have been stressing to the max as time was ticking on and likely I had got us lost! but he prob wouldn't have let us go off wandering in the am then either (which would have made me cranky!) Hotel looked very nice but can't say Penang grabs me. 1st class sleeper looked OK and after all the travelling would be welcome! You certainly had an adventurous time of it getting to your destination. Think we are getting too old for all that mucking about - lol! but glad you enjoyed it. The hotel and views do look worth the trouble and not what I imagined.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Penang and really exploring more of the city and different parts of the island too. It hasn't really ever been on my radar, but it really grabbed my attention when I was looking at locations in Malaysia.

The journey to Thailand would have been a lot easier if we'd have just been able to take a quick ferry to Butterworth, get on the train there and change at Nakhon Pathom, then just a short stroll to the hotel. That was the original plan, but then they took the 1st class sleepers out of action for that northern part of Malaysia thus the minibus to Thailand. The motorbike and second minibus were definitely unplanned too, because of that delay to our train. It wasn't meant to be quite that much of an adventure ;)

Out of interest, what did you imagine the hotel to be like?

After a break at the hotel, we took a stroll down to the bridge.

We were pleasantly surprised with how quiet and laid back it was at the bridge area. There was a bit of a market down there, which was being packed up by that time of night, but no one was hassling us or anything, and there really weren't that many tourists around.

We headed out onto the bridge.

We enjoyed the views over the river, and the colourful temple on the other side.

Just as we got to the other side, we saw a train coming. It stopped for quite a while before crossing the bridge so we had plenty of opportunity to get to the little pedestrian safe havens. It was fun watching the train cross the bridge!

We decided to hang around the area until sunset, so we could see the views from the bridge. In the meantime, we walked up the road to the taxi rank to organise a driver for our outing the next day. We found someone we were happy with, and headed back to the bridge. There was some crazy jetstream happening up there!

We suddenly felt like ice-creams, and managed to find a shop at the station that was still open.

We headed back to the hotel with our ice-creams, and found a comfy seat on the terrace to have a couple of drinks while watching the last of the sunset.

We finished the night with a couple of shared entrees from the restaurant before heading back to our room to prepare for the next day's adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter