Liberty of the Seas - which Western Caribbean itinerary?

northshoremama

DIS Veteran
been waiverying between DL and RCCL for our first family cruise . i was looking at a mexican riviera cruise on DCL, but thinking RCCL will be the better option for our familiy of 5 (cost-wise). was also looking at alaska, but thinking that would be better when DD4 is a bit older.

i was looking at a RCCL's western caribbean itinierary next may 2017 to take advantage of the 'kids sail free' offer. how many of you have been on either or both of these cruises? which would you recommend and why?

note: we live in washington...me, DH, DD10, DD8, and DD4 (they will all be a year older when we travel).

from galveston:
1) cozumel, mexico; george town, grand cayman; falmouth, jamaica

or...

2) roatan, honduras; puerto costa maya, mexico; cozumel, mexico,

We've done both sets of ports (although not from Galveston) and I'd choose #1 by a mile. Nothing to do in Costa Maya or Roatan other than go to the beach.

Much more variety for kids and adults in both George Town and in Falmouth.

We've done both sets of ports (although not from Galveston) and I'd choose #1 by a mile. Nothing to do in Costa Maya or Roatan other than go to the beach.

Much more variety for kids and adults in both George Town and in Falmouth.

Thank you for the input. We are leaning towards itinerary #1 too. When time month did you guys go? Should I really be concerned about cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season?

We have cruised the caribbean in May every year since 2006, and have yet to encounter a hurricane or tropical storm.The season doesn'y "officially" start until June, and the peak is early september, so I wouldn't be overly concerned on a May sailing. In 50+ cruises, the only time we were re-routed by a storm (T.S. Dave), was in August 2009 on Disney.
Thank you for the input. We are leaning towards itinerary #1 too. When time month did you guys go? Should I really be concerned about cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season?

Last edited:

We have cruised the caribbean in May every year since 2006, and have yet to encounter a hurricane or tropical storm.The season doesn'y "officially" start until June, and the peak is early september, so I wouldn't be overly concerned on a May sailing. In 50+ cruises, the only time we were re-routed by a storm (T.S. Dave), was in August 2009 on Disney.

Thank you again! I was looking at next May 2017 or Sept 2017...and I read recently that the Liberty was re-routed sometime this month due to some weather concerns. I think I'll be calling RCCL to take advantage of their 'kids sail free' offer for that May sailing

If you don't mind when you have time to respond again, I'm curious about your port excursions at Cozumel. Grand Cayman, and Falmouth. Hopefully you can share details on those as well....

Thank you again! I was looking at next May 2017 or Sept 2017...and I read recently that the Liberty was re-routed sometime this month due to some weather concerns. I think I'll be calling RCCL to take advantage of their 'kids sail free' offer for that May sailing

If you don't mind when you have time to respond again, I'm curious about your port excursions at Cozumel. Grand Cayman, and Falmouth. Hopefully you can share details on those as well....
There is a wealth of information on the Cruise Critic Ports forum for all three ports. As for us, the first time we do a particular port we try to do an excursion that shows us a bit of the island and culture. The last time we were in these three ports with our 12 YO grandson, we did an excursion on Cozumel that did a tour of the island, went to Mayan ruins, and ended at Playa Mia beach. We've also done the ruins at Tulum, but that one may be a bit strenuous for the little ones. On Grand Cayman we did a "to Hell and back" excursion that did a short tour of the island before going to the little hamlet of Hell and finished at seven mile beach. We've also done just the seven mile beach break, and a submarine excursion. On Jamaica, we did the Dunn's River Falls excursion. We've also done Rose Hall. (Dunns River Falls was much better)

There is a wealth of information on the Cruise Critic Ports forum for all three ports. As for us, the first time we do a particular port we try to do an excursion that shows us a bit of the island and culture. The last time we were in these three ports with our 12 YO grandson, we did an excursion on Cozumel that did a tour of the island, went to Mayan ruins, and ended at Playa Mia beach. We've also done the ruins at Tulum, but that one may be a bit strenuous for the little ones. On Grand Cayman we did a "to Hell and back" excursion that did a short tour of the island before going to the little hamlet of Hell and finished at seven mile beach. We've also done just the seven mile beach break, and a submarine excursion. On Jamaica, we did the Dunn's River Falls excursion. We've also done Rose Hall. (Dunns River Falls was much better)

Thank you again!!!! I'll check out Cruise Critic :)

we are doing #1 very soon.
last year we did DCL in Oct during hurricane season. the sailing before us changed itineraries to avoid a storm. we had amazing weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter