Let's Talk Sectionals

Soulsearching

DIS Veteran
Looking to buy a Sectional for my living room. So many decisions to make.

Can you please tell me where you bought your Sectional for your living room or family room?

And........

Are you happy with it?

Also......

Any other advice you wish to give would be appreciated. :flower1:

Thanks!

I purchased our sectional over 12 years ago from Lazy Boy. It also has a bed in it and has held up very well. I personally like a sectional that you can "design" yourself. What side is left, what side is right and how to put pieces together. I would actually like to buy another sectional in the near future because this one is finally getting worn and I've moved into a new home. As far as the number people you can sit...it depends. If you want to sit a lot of people, I think you need a pretty large sectional. That's why I also got a matching loveseat with mine when I got it. I found the sectional itself didn't sit too many people. I have a much larger house now and if I do end up with another sectional, I know I want a very large one.

Ours came from a local Haverty's store. It's the third one we've had so obviously we like them.
Our only complaint is the sections will come apart at the slightest bump, we remedied this by buying latch type things that screw in to the sections.
We love the fact that they are basically a couch and love seat but attached so when we both want to lay down we can but we can still touch if we want (after 24 years that's not as often as before but the puppy likes to touch both of us so there is that).
You do need to measure your room very carefully, they are pretty big. Ours basically has the sofa, love seat and a fainting couch type section. I'm guessing you could sit at least 8 people on it. It is pretty deep so if I'm sitting and not reclining, my feet don't touch the floor but that makes it good for sleeping.

We got ours from Haverty's 12 years ago. It has held up really well. It is leather with a sofa bed and recliner. Most of our furniture came from Haverty's when we were furnishing our new home.

We have 2.

I hate our older one, one of the recliners doesn't work (it was a cord, not electronic, not that I'd get an electronic one). The pieces don't stay together, I mean they connect better then our 2nd one but it's like a round circle sliding down into a slot so not so easy to connect but they stay. There are gaps and it's just not comfy. It's microfiber and I will say it has held up thru all the wear and tear and stain free! That was is probably from 2007. I believe we had it delievered on a Friday and then we got flooded on a Saturday, that was not fun! The corner on this one is comfy. We bought it from Pilgrim in CT.

Our other one is leather and so comfy. I was not going to get leather but I sat in it and DH sat in it and we were sold! The connectors on it are zig zagged/teeth and one always comes apart. But again it is comfy. It also came from Pilgrim. This one does not have the higher back like the other one and I like that. It also doesn't recline which is fine by me.

Both have 6 cushions with one side longer then the other.

The best bet is to go try them all out. Don't decide in a day. I went one day when my DH was at work and the kids were in school. I went to all the nearby furniture stores and looked this way it was less stores/stops. I loved the one at Lazy Boy but it was $$$$$$$ and I couldn't afford it. It was leather and we did end up with leather but not as pricey and still comfy.

We are on our third sectional so I guess we like them. :) However I'm starting to think I like the idea of a regular couch and chairs again this next time. The one we have currently is a Lazy Boy and has a chaise lounger at one end and 2 other recliners. Seats 5 or 6 easily. Something to consider is the distance you will need to keep it from the wall with the recliners or some have recliners that work against the wall.
I agree you want to make sure the pieces can be moved around to different locations and the pieces screw together underneath to eliminate the movement.

Ours is from Lazy Boy. We have had it for slightly more than 6 years. I am very pleased with it. One of its biggest selling points to me is that the back is solid with upholstery on top of that. My sectional floats in the room - so i was not going to get one without a solid back. A lot of the ones we were seeing just had upholstery stretched across a hollow frame in the back. That would sag in no time.

Both the fabric and the cushions have held up well. We are nowhere near even thinking about replacing it. Mine is not leather. It is 3 pieces. A sofa sized piece, a smaller perhaps individual chair sized piece, and then the chaise. They interlock with a cleat sort of system. No recliners of any sort. I am not a recliner fan.

We've had several and they work for us. The only thing i would say is stay away from microfiber. Looks great until it doesn't anymore. I hate that it has wear spots on the fabric that get gross looking and shiny - ew.

Another vote for Haverty's from me :) We bought in 2015 and couldn't be any happier. We got the amalfi sectional, which lets you choose the exact pieces you need to get the configuration you want. Like a PP mentioned, the sections can shift a little bit.

Biggest advice, though, would be to make sure you measure your area very carefully (unless it's a giant open family/great room). We went a little nuts with the measuring -- even staged the sectional in our house using painter's tape on the floor juuuust to make sure it would fit exactly the way we wanted. Yeah, I guess I like to be precise...

Last one we bought we got from NC, direct, High Point Furniture sales. Picked it online, omg, did not even sit in it first. But I wanted a leather curved theater type one, with recliners and the cupholders. It is amazing. (we had one before, it fell apart, from Seamans, a discount place out of business, brand was Palliser, no good!)

Usually with High Point, you can find one in a store, and then check with them to see if it is cheaper to buy thru them even with delivery. (we are in NJ, not local to NC)

I have a small one from big lots. They actually have some decent pieces reasonably priced

I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats

I buy furniture knowing they will do bad things and plan on replacing 5 years out. If I can get more bonus!

Last edited:
We purchased a Broyhill sectional from Wayside Furniture in 2011 for our old house. It is really starting to show it's age and we are not thrilled with it. We do have two kids and a dog that is let on the furniture so that may explain a lot.

If I were to get another sectional I would definitely look at Smith Brothers of Berne--more expensive, but better crafted.

We've purchased 3 sectionals from Jordan's Furniture. The first one last many, many years....through cats and kids. The next one is still in use and it must be 6-7 years old. It is beige microfiber. We get individual pieces with recliners so we can rearrange the room as desired. Helpful at Christmas time when trying to fit in the tree.

We just bought one for our lake house. It was in the "outlet" section at Jordan's and has power recliners. The jury is still out on this because we've only had them a few weeks. So far, so good, though.

We just bought a sectional from Joybird and absolutely love it. It may not be what you're looking for, though. It's mid-century modern styled and is very firm and supportive. The style we have is the Eliot Corner Sectional. Their furniture is made very well and their customer service is amazing. We really wanted a sectional but didn't want anything super bulky and hate the overstuffed look.

We have one from Pottery Barn. Yes, it was expensive but we have very specific room dimensions that it was hard to fit. We have had it for over 5 years and still love it as much as the day we bought it. The sections have never once come apart. Ours is a slip covered model and washing the slipcovers has been no issue. Everything fit back exactly like it should.

Ektorp from IKEA and we love it. It has held up incredibly well through 4 of my kids and 3 of my nieces and nephews who stay here after school. We have changed out the slipcover several times.
It's not too bulky, it has a good pullout bed, it doesn't come apart and it's super comfortable.

I have a Pottery Barn PB comfort. I love it because it is so deep. Huge but super comfy. I also got the washable slipcovers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter