Let's hear it for blue card owners!

I have a blue card because I bought resale before the restriction. If I bought after the restrictions I would still buy resale. It's not worth the additional cost. Even with a blue card I wouldn't use points for a cruise. I would rent them out and use the cash for the cruise.

I weighed the fringe perks against the cost and it was a landslide “overpayment” situation vs resale. Didn’t work for me, but each of us value things very differently.

Like I don’t own any watches (Apple Watch isn’t a watch, it’s a toy, haha). I don’t care for them, so an $8,000 Rolex is $8,000 more than I’m willing to pay.

but I fly business/first on any flight > 5 hrs and premium economy seating on any other flight.

I didn’t even know there was a color difference, to be honest.

OP seems to get great perceived value from Blue Card, despite mixing blue card up with direct points ‘benefits’ (cruises on points).
For me only if I buy an AP is any appreciable value there. I never thought I’d buy one, but we have three trips this next 12 months and so I am doing this year only. So my blue card is giving me some unexpected value this next year.
Up until now, my value had encompassed 10% off in the few table service we now visit every trip, a few times in the DVC Lounge and 10% off a DVC mug, so certainly would not be worth paying a huge direct premium on points for.
It seems OP bought all points direct, and says loves the fact he/ she did, good on them.
I would say that a lot of this thread exemplifies what the white and blue and a two tier system does- drive a wedge and differentiation between owners.
‘They’ have ‘won’ when this happens.

Last edited:

I would say that a lot of this thread exemplifies what the white and blue and a two tier system does- drive a wedge and differentiation between owners.
‘They’ have ‘won’ when this happens.

I'm not seeing a wedge. I'm seeing every member, direct and resale, weighing their options and purchasing in the way they feel best works for they way they plan to travel. If you plan on a once a year, or less, visit there is no advantage to direct purchasing. That is what we had originally planned. However, at that time there was no resale market, DVC was new. And we found ourselves buying more points and going two or three times a year for 8 nights or longer, so yes, I'm glad we purchased direct, even though there was no other option back then. Today, I would probably buy the same number of points, but still get the minimum for direct benefits and the rest resale. I do use the benefits enough to justify the additional cost for 100 points. Many people will not be able to justify it, and that is fine, too.

Well, I will add that for my adult children, buying direct was the way to go since I am the one that paid the difference between my sale of BWV and my purchase for RIV! Cost to them was 0!🤣🤣🤣🤣

But, to be honest, the savings of getting the AP now for them and their families as they plan to visit twice in the year will make up that difference in about 5 to 7 years as there are 5 of them..6 if my DD ever leaves Disney...

Plus, if my DDs ever have a family, it’s more people saving. Like @Chuck S mentioned, each person has a unique situation. As long as one is happy with the choice, it’s all good,

I definitely think that now 100 points is required, vs 25 when this all started, makes the choice harder in choosing direct.

I wasn't being 100% literal but I paid $106 a point instead of $186 at AKV.

I think I did $95/pt AUL and direct was $175.

I checked my annual report and I’m guesstimating still >100,000 points outstanding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter