Let's hear it for blue card owners!

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
Sorry, I love having a blue card. Love everything about it. Love having every option open to us. Love having discounts on annual passes.

Love the DVC cruise on points we took just a couple months after booking. Loved the Chicago hotel we stayed at for our 2Oth Anniversary.

Loved the Disney After Hours at the Magic Kingdom they gave to us and our guests at the GFV back when they were launching that. Loved the MM at the AKV for me and my friends to see Pandora.

I love that I can book Riveria and any other new hotel that's coming!

It is good to be the blue card owner. It's good to have a white card, too.

But I love perks.

I enjoy the perks as well. Some of what you mention aren’t just for blue card owners. I have resale points that can’t be booked on cruises, but still qualify for the blue card due to grandfathering,

But I have worked it to take advantage of what we get, especially merchandise and dining discounts we now get.

Ha I agree, I love my blue card. Bought some add on direct points to get it. The Gold Annual Pass has been a big savings. I loved being able to attend a DVC preview of Pandora. Some will say it isn't worth it, but I know myself and it's worth it to me.

Glad to hear you are happy. Coming from a resale owner perspective without any blue card benefits, may you have many more years of enjoyment you get from your blue card benefits, and many years of awesome DVC and non-DVC vacations (it sounds like you using your DVC points for other stays besides DVC sometimes).

I can only wish I brought DVC sooner, since I am not willing to pay the current DVC direct pricing, but am happy for all those that were able to get in when it was good.

Great3

I think the OP should be paid for this type of advertisement.
The only benefit we've had which I ever thought was more than trivial was the Pandora preview -- during which we wandered around the place for several hours with only a handful of other people, and went on flight of passage with virtually no line, repeatedly, until we started to become too lightheaded to continue.

As a blue card owner, I say it is without a doubt not worth the current buy in cost.
The Epcot lounge is fine, but not an extra $10k fine. The after hours events are fun, but come so rarely that every blue card owner can't get to one anyway, and you could just buy an after hours ticket with the money you saved by not getting one.
No way you could convince me to spend all my money on a member's only cruise. Disney cruises are marked up way too high to start, and the members ones are jacked up on top of that.

I have no intention of ever staying at Riviera. It's a points hungry resort with a moderate location and questionable transportation system. Not nearly the walkability or reasonable points of the original 14 resorts.

I do enjoy my blue card, but if they took it away, I would not spend that much money to buy back in. My extended family just bought DVC, and I told them they made the right choice by avoiding the buy in to the blue card level.

What an odd thing to gloat about. Personally I abhor the blue/white class system DVC has created even though I have blue card status. I also suspect the RIV booking limitations will ultimately devalue all resale prices - so I’m glad I’ve never considered my points as an asset.
I wouldn’t use points to book a Disney Cruise, although I like cruising and liked the Disney Cruise I paid cash to take, lately I’ve been cruising in Europe, and Disney isn’t a viable option for a nice long European cruise.
The lounge in Epcot isn’t much & could disappear at some point w/ all of the Epcot construction.
The AP discount was great a couple of years ago, when the economy was suffering & Disney really wanted people to visit and spend $, but they’ve been slowly raising the DVC AP price - remember original DVC members got free admission, so there’s no guaranty that the discount will continue.
I live on the west coast & plan my trips 11 months out, so member events haven’t worked for me.
My DVC discount on merchandise is exactly the same as my AP discount & my Chase visa discount, which I use depends on which card I happen to grab.
The only benefit I like is when my MB turns the tap style purple - that I like.

I have a blue card and the odd year I buy an AP now with gold I like having the card. Other than that, if I had to choose today to buy I'd be very happy with my white card and my $30,000 in my pocket...

Great post. I did not take this as a gloat.

It didn't make me look at myself and say I am glad I have almost 1,000 points. It also didn't make me happy to have DVC points with a $40 basis either.

Some received free park tickets in the beginning of DVC. I wasn't one of them.

The point of it all is enjoy what you have when you got it because it makes you happy.

To the op bravo! Enjoy what you have.

I'm happy with my blue card because it definitely provided substantial AP discounts (I'm not a florida resident so cannot get the gold AP without DVC). Also being able to stay at future resorts is a huge deal for me, although I do realize that earlier resales get that benefit.

Love the DVC cruise on points we took just a couple months after booking.

Good job likely overpaying in comparison to renting out your points.

Loved the Chicago hotel we stayed at for our 2Oth Anniversary.

Good job being locked in to a small list of hotels which again you likely could have gotten more for your points renting them and then getting a hotel direct.

Loved the Disney After Hours at the Magic Kingdom they gave to us and our guests at the GFV back when they were launching that.

So something that happened to likely 0.01% of members

Loved the MM at the AKV for me and my friends to see Pandora.
Something what maybe 5% of members get and is announced somewhat "last minute" as well in comparison to the DVC calendar of 7-11 month booking window.

I love that I can book Riveria and any other new hotel that's coming!
A resort that is on the location of a moderate, shares transportation with a moderate, and is further away from both Epcot and HS than both BWV and BCV.

Sorry I need to point out all the downsides to your amazing blue card. Its fine though if you like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter