Lesbian couple told to leave a Phoenix Sheraton restaurant for kissing

Until equality originates with the federal government, this sort of discrimination and public humiliation will continue. Federal acceptance of the validity of same gendered unions won't automatically dispel homophobia, any more than it did racism, however it is a long overdue beginning.

I don't so much think it is the Sheraton, rather an uneducated and poorly trained manager who could have been in any hotel.

I don't understand this line from the article:

"Do you think the Sheraton needs to fire the manager who came up to the lesbian couple, or was he just trying to quell other homophobic customers?"

A lot of discrimination happens in the name of trying to quell bigoted customers. It's quite possible that was what was going on in this case. It doesn't make what the manager did less wrong. If what the manager did was against Sheraton policy he should be fired. If it wasn't then there needs to some kind of protest to force Sheraton to change their policy.

If what the manager did was against Sheraton policy he should be fired. If it wasn't then there needs to some kind of protest to force Sheraton to change their policy.

That is the crux right there. In todays day and age we, as consumers, need to vote with our wallet and feet. We don't need the government to get involved.

I'd personally rather see a racist/homophobic establishment go out of business and go broke because of their views as opposed to some nanny state legislation trying to force something down someone elses throat and at the same time, allowing that business to stay open and simply "hide" their backwards views.

After all why would anyone want to support and pay the bills of someone like that? It makes no sense.

All this is assuming of course it was just a simple kiss and their wasn't some crazy across the table make-out session going on that would have gotten the same response from a heterosexual couple.

It's a downtown Sheraton. I'm a bit surprised that sort of clientele would be so vocal over a simple kiss... may be there was a monster truck convention that day? :confused3 I keed, I keed :laughing:

I don't understand this line from the article:

"Do you think the Sheraton needs to fire the manager who came up to the lesbian couple, or was he just trying to quell other homophobic customers?
He should be fired for what he did.

I don't care if he hates gay people or caters to those who do. I don't care if he had the intentions of saving their souls. His motives aren't relevant, really.

He should be fired for his actions.

I am not so sure the manager should be fired. Disciplined? Yes. But fired for a single instance of misjudgment? Everyone makes mistakes. If this is a common trend for this manager, then yes.

MolonLabe said:
I'd personally rather see a racist/homophobic establishment go out of business and go broke because of their views...

That works fine in a perfect society where the majority cares about the rights of the minorities. Unfortunately, this country has a long history of oppressing minorities. Since you are a fan of hyperbole, Dawrinist Capitalism loves slavery as long as the money keeps coming in. I am less convinced that wealth is the ultimate end game in life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter