Leaving tomorrow and son has injured his leg.

FLgirl1203

Mouseketeer
My 6 yo son woke up this morning with a badly pulled muscle that will probably take 3 - 4 days to heal. We are planning to go to WDW tomorrow and I am now wondering what to do. Do they have wheel chairs for children there to rent? Do they allow you to wait in the lines with the wheelchairs? Whatever suggestions you can give me would be very much appreciated. I don't know what he'll even be able to ride on...it's very difficult to bend his knee the entire rotation. I am just trying to breathe deep! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to our board. Don't panic. Click on the link in my signature for information about the GAC and some wheelchair tips. If you are staying onsite, you may be able to get a wheelchair from your resort for free to use for the whole trip. Call your travel agent right now and tell them that you will need a ground floor room for medical reasons, and tell them why - they will try to accomodate your request. You can rent in the parks, but you will need it to get TO the parks so I wouldn't wait. If your son can walk at all and can get onto trams, then you can park next to the tram stop - just ask the attendant and they will move the orange cone in the reserved spaces. Fold the wheelchair and take it in. The alternatives, use the handicapped parking and rool to the gate, or take the bus. Most bus drivers can help you board through the back safely.

Welcome, I see you found your way here.
They don't have children's wheelchairs to rent, only adult ones. Like teri mentioned, you can probably get one to borrow from your resort if you are staying on site. A pillow from the room might be helpful to fill up the space a little and keep him in place a little better. You can keep a wheelchair with you in all lines/shows until just before boarding the ride. You don't need any special card or anything to bring the wheelchair in.

If you ride the WDW buses with a borrowed wheelchair, I would suggest he get out of the wheelchair during the bus trip if possible. The driver does secure the chair with tiedown straps and there is a seat belt for the wheelchair occupant, but your son will be too small in the chair for the belt to really do much good. My DD stays in her wheelchair, but she has her own wheelchair that fits her.
If you have a stroller at home that he still fits into comfortably, you might want to bring it along. If you use a stroller, you can go to Guest Services in any of the parks and get a Guest Assistance card that will allow the stroller to be treated as a wheelchair (ie, it can come in any buildings, lines, etc. the same way a wheelchair would).

If your doctor suggested pain medication, keep it along with you. You probably won't be able to get any in the parks. And if the doctor said to take it on a regular schedule, do that. It will help to keep the pain under control better. If he gets tired (but not tired enough to leave the park for the day) you may want to try First Aid. There is one in each park and they have nice, dim, quiet cubicles with cots in them that he could use to rest. They also have RNs in First Aid that could help with advice if you have any questions..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter