Leaving for Disney tomorrow! Money advice needed please....

torinsmom

<font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>
I am not sure what to do for money at Disney. I have $500 cash spending money for the Amtrak + Disney(dining plan paid for). Should I put most of this in the bank and then use the charge privilege at Pop? Is there an ATM at Pop in case I need more cash if I do this? Or should I bring some cash to the parks each day, and leave the rest in the safe? Is this safe to do?

I am deathly afraid that I will carry this money around and then it will be stolen and I'll be up the creek!

Marsha

If I were you, I would carry only a little bit of cash to WDW and put the rest in the bank. But I have an debit card that I use as cash, keeping track of my budget. I would not carry or leave that much cash in the room. If the debit card is not an option, apply it to your account at POP and use your key as a credit card. Just do not loose your card!

Have a magical trip!!!

Pop has an atm, it's in the lobby. When we went we had the charging option added to our room keys (mine and dh's). They also gave us the option to add a charging limit....helped to keep us on our budget. When we checked out we had a printout of our charges right there on our room bill. Always nice to know where the money went..ha ha. Don't worry about carrying too much money for food. The dining plan is great and you will have more to eat then you can imagine. We took a little bit of cash each day for extra snacks/pop and stroller rental. Have a great time. :thumbsup2

My vote is for the atm. You can use your room card to charge everything to your bank card. Bring $100 with you then if you need more use the atm

So, do most places at Disney take a debit card? I have one of those, but I do worry about that being stolen too. That would put my whole checking account at risk. I will be wearing my key/charge around my neck on a lanyard.

If you lose your room key/charge/ticket, what is the procedure? Would you be responsible for charges made during the time it was lost?

Marsha

If you opt for the charging privileges on your room key you are at no risk if you lose it. You need to notify Guest Relations immediately and they will freeze the card and issue you a new one. If your park tickets are also on your room key they will also be frozen on the lost card and re-issued on your new one.
We carry very little cash around and use our room card to charge everything from food to souvenirs. You can get a print out from your resort front desk at any time to view the charges on your account. On check out day you will be given a complete listing. If you opt for express check out this will be in an envelope hanging our your door very early that morning.

Whenever we go, we carry very little cash on us, and charge everything to our room. We like doing this b/c we can pay all at once - and it is fun (scary? :scared1: ) seeing the itemized list of what you spent on your trip!

THanks! I think I will carry a little cash and put the rest in the bank.
l'll get the charging privileges on my key and then leave the debit/credit cards in my room safe with my other important documents. That way I have them if I need them and the front desk can have my CC # for charges.

Thanks!

Marsha

Hi can you charge everything on your card in the parks. ie snacks and gifts? thanks

hollyb said:
Hi can you charge everything on your card in the parks. ie snacks and gifts? thanks

If you are referring to your "key to the world" card that has room key, park tickets, dining (if you're on the plan), and charging option, then YES you can charge anything you want on it. :thumbsup2

Can you charge to room or debit card at snack stands? I don't remember from our last trip. We carried our money with us last time (it was alot and we had hit hid everywhere) I think charging to the room is better idea, if I can do that everywhere.

I think we will use charge everything to our room except whatever we have Disney Dollars to cover ...... Last trip we had all cash and it made me very nervous!

I know you don't need to carry cash with you, but I usually do carry to much with me.

I didn't know about charging everything to your room, thats kind of neat. And in reading the posts, let me get this straight...

When we get down to Disney, we need to tell them we want to be able to use our card to charge stuff, on that we can charge food and sovoneirs? -Will they know at restraunts to charge it on the dining plan and not our room though? Along with using it as a "charge card", it is also our tickets, room key and dining plan? Then I can also check what is on our card at anytime by askign for a print out at the front desk. At the end of my trip then when I check out, I just tell them to take it all out of a credit card? (Can a check card, like Visa check card be used for that?- that is where I was planning on keeping my money- ALSO do the stores take regular visa check cards? (I worry, and think oh no, what it our key doesn't work or whatnot))

:sunny: I am leaving in a couple of weeks and was wondering these same things! Has anyone used one of the credit cards that you purchase, like from American Express or Visa that you can only put a certain amount of money on? I was thinking of getting one of those, my father has used one from American Express to make online purchases so he doesn't have to use his "real" credit cards. Also, how does the charging to the room work? Can we charge to the room and get a listing at the of the day of what we spent? Is it taken right out of a credit/debit card? Thanks for your help!

Glad you asked the question, I was wondering the same. We saved up cash to bring but the more I think of it we may just use the room charge card more. I am also nervous about bringing lots of cash. Do all of the rooms have a safe? We are staying at the All Star Movies. :thumbsup2

luvnstuf said:
I didn't know about charging everything to your room, thats kind of neat. And in reading the posts, let me get this straight...

When we get down to Disney, we need to tell them we want to be able to use our card to charge stuff, on that we can charge food and sovoneirs? -Will they know at restraunts to charge it on the dining plan and not our room though? Along with using it as a "charge card", it is also our tickets, room key and dining plan? Then I can also check what is on our card at anytime by askign for a print out at the front desk. At the end of my trip then when I check out, I just tell them to take it all out of a credit card? (Can a check card, like Visa check card be used for that?- that is where I was planning on keeping my money- ALSO do the stores take regular visa check cards? (I worry, and think oh no, what it our key doesn't work or whatnot))

I'm wondering the same things. :)

we have used our visa debit card for the last 2 years- love it food, and soveners- we usually carry 20 bucks for coffee- dh is nuts without it- and charge everything else

When we went the cm at the front desk asked us if we wanted to be able to charge on it, who in the room will be able to do that and what kind of a limit did we want on it. There was 7 of us in 2 rooms and we just activated 2 cards to use for charging (mine and DH...mil wasnt to happy she didn't get to charge LOL) It worked out great. As far as the dining plan when you order (counter) tell the cm first, place your order then give them your card you will get a printout to sign and then 1 for yourself that will tell you what you have left. Pretty much same thing with table service you just give your card at the end of your meal. I don't think there is anywhere on WDW property that won't let you charge to your room key or to a charge or debit card for that matter. As far as having the charges go though at the end on you visa debit card that is what we did. And yes the ASMo has a safe in the room. Everbody have a great trip. :cool1:

At DisneyLAND anyway, you have to pay CASH for snacks, like if you go to a street vendor for some popcorn or a bottle of pop. You can't use your debit card there! However, I have found that everywhere else taked debit cards as long as they have the Visa logo on them. So when I go to WDW (in 4 days!!! :cool1: ) I'm taking about $100 cash and my debit card. If I need more cash, then I'll just go to an ATM. I use my debit card for restaurants (counter service and table service), and all shopping.

Anyone know if you need cash to pay for parking?????

(I should note, we are not on the dining plan and we are not staying onsite so we can't charge to our room and we don't get free parking.)

JULIE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter