Leaving child with grandparents--where can I get medical release form?

mommystieg

<font color=green>Now understands that the one stu
My DSIL and her husband are leaving their son with her parents for a week. Is there a form they can get to authorize her parents to seek medical attention in case of an emergency? TIA :sunny:

I Work In The Medical Field,all They Have To Do Is Write A Letter
To Whom It May Concern ,i Give So And So Permission To Take My Child To The Dr Or Hospital For Any Medical Treatment While His Parents Are Away.

Whenever we leave town we just write a letter leaving permission for medical decisions for whoever is babysitting. I asked the hospital the last time my DD was in and they said that was fine. In additon I put my cell phone number on the letter so the hospital can call me with any questions.
Suzanne

pweyl36 said:
I Work In The Medical Field,all They Have To Do Is Write A Letter
To Whom It May Concern ,i Give So And So Permission To Take My Child To The Dr Or Hospital For Any Medical Treatment While His Parents Are Away.
I agree all you need is a letter and not any sort of standardized form, but try to be more specific than the above. It's not enough to say it's okay to take the child to the doctor or hospital for medical treatment. Anyone can TAKE the kids there for treatment, but you need to give your parents (or whomever) permission to CONSENT FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT in your absence. If anyone thinks I'm being too nitpicky here or splitting hairs too much, they obviously don't know too many lawyers!

It can't hurt to enumerate some common procedures, such as examination, imaging studies (x-rays, CT scans, MRIs), blood and other tissue tests, prescription and administration of medications, emergency treatment, inpatient admission, inpatient hospital treatment, casting/splinting, etc.

My wife and I did this the very few times when we've been away without the kids. She had suggested I write our letters to include the above info. She's a pediatrician and she knows from experience (but NOT from any LEGAL training) what types of consent she needs before she can go near a child in her office or at the hospital.

It's great that you're thinking about doing this! My wife has told me stories over the years about angry grandparents and aunts/uncles, angry at her that she can't provide routine (non-life-saving) treatment without consent from the parent or legal guardian. We live in a beach resort area, so she sees lots of "seasonal" patients, some of whom are non-parents taking kids to the beach and boardwalk.

I usually write a letter authorizing my parents to seek treatment and make decisions about medical care in our absence. I also enclose copies of my and DH drivers liscenses (since the hospital alwyas seems to want those) and a copy of our insurance card. I also put in the same envelope basic medical info (allergies etc.) about each of the kids and our contact information. Everything in one envelope so my parents don't have to think too much in the event of an emergency. They have thankfully never had to seek treatment but I always feel better-just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter