LAX or SNA?

ky.

Mouseketeer
In the early stages of planning my first trip to disneyland and trying to figure out the airport situation. SNA is closer but its about $200 more to fly into than LAX is. Is it really that more convenient to fly into SNA? I will likely be flying in alone and meeting up with friends at the hotel so I would need to uber from either airport regardless, anyone one the approx cost from each airport?

Thank you all! :stitch:

You can get trip cost estimates in uber by putting in your pickup and destination (obviously just don't actually complete the pickup request). Rates can vary during high demand of course. Last Saturday around 8:30pm my Uber from SNA to the Homewood Suites across from the convention center was ~$30 with tip. Right now LAX to the GCH is $123 without tip but looks like prices are surging at the moment. So I'd watch prices at your anticipated arrival times.

SNA is A LOT closer, smaller, simpler and, in my opinion, nicer than LAX and I'd go there or LGB (or even ONT but that's my "local" airport as I grew up nearby) before LAX but only you can decide if the $200 savings (may be somewhat less with transportation costs) is worth it. What about arrival/departure times? Are those better with one airport vs the other? (also taking into account that it will take longer to get to DLR from LAX than SNA)

I prefer LGB most. Close (15 miles, I think) to the resort. Tiny airport. Easiest to navigate. Taxi is about $45 to resort.

After LGB, SNA. Small airport, easy to navigate, but longer walk to ground transportation. Close to the resort area.

I avoid LAX at (generally) any cost. As I told my husband, "There's just too many moving parts!" Its just an airport, I know, but it is just so "noisy" (movement and sound) that it makes me anxious. It's an hour away from the resort area (unless its rush hour; TWO HOURS once I was on the bus to go from LAX to the resort). Taxis and uber cost more. TSA takes longer when flying out... So, I will pay handsomely to avoid the anxiety of LAX.

But I also know plenty of people have no issues with it :)

Take Uber into the equation it’s about $150 difference. I’d do SNA for that cost. To step off the plane & be in DL 45 mins later? It’s awesome!

Reactions: ky.

No. It’s not that big of a difference. We always fly to SNA with our kids. I flew into lax with no kids Thursday at 3 pm. We were at our hotel in about 75 minutes. I don’t recall why we flew into lax this time but it worked out just fine. Did we walk a little farther yes. But no big deal.

We paid $53 for uber from lax. (Lyft quoted $75) I don’t know the cost for a small uber car from sna. It was $60 for our family in an SUV last time. Plus we had to take a cab because no large Uber’s were available.

If you go to LAX be aware that ride share is located on the departure level. Wasn’t a big deal but I wish I had known ahead of time instead of looking for not perfect signage.

I understand that ride share at SNA is in the parking garage.

If your LAX flight is direct I’d take that any day over SNA.

Last edited:
Reactions: ky.
I just flew into LAX over the summer for a cruise out of Long Beach and will be flying into it again for our upcoming DL trip. Flying into LAX was much cheaper for both trips which is why we chose it. I thought it was fine and had no issues. Then again, my home airport is O'Hare so maybe I'm just used to big chaotic airports, lol.

I would chose LGB first, then SNA. LAX it all depends on the time of year and time you are landing. I've been at LAX at like 10am and it was almost empty, not many cars at all, I thought something had happened. So it truly is hit and miss. Huge factor would be transportation cost to and from airport. LGB or SNA flights might be pricier but far closer and much, much easier to jump in an uber/lyft and be on the road, thus less expensive due to proximity to the park. Stress levels will be far less too and if traveling with little ones might even be worth it to save on the headache.
As previous poster mentioned, check pricing for ONT too. Not all that far.

I always choose SNA whenever possible. It is a much nicer airport. I really dislike LAX but sometimes circumstances turn my hand. The fact that SNA is closer is also nice.

Others have mentioned all the plusses of SNA. It really comes down to your budget. If you include the Uber difference, then is that $150 a make or break? For me I would pay the $150 and do SNA. There is a price point where I would go LAX but it would be higher than that for me personally. At $500 I would definitely go LAX.

:wizard:

We generally fly to Disneyland from Chicago Midway on Southwest, using points. In general, we have found that MDW to SNA is about twice as many points as MDW to LAX. So, we have flown to LAX. It is fine - not my favorite airport by any means, but fine.

This year it is SUPER cheap (points-wise) to fly to LAX the day before our trip really starts. So, we are flying to LAX that afternoon and staying by the airport using Hilton points. Then, we'll Uber down to our DLR hotel the next morning to start our "real" vacation!

Flying into LAX was much cheaper for both trips which is why we chose it. I thought it was fine and had no issues. Then again, my home airport is O'Hare so maybe I'm just used to big chaotic airports, lol.

I think home airports may be why I get so overwhelmed at LAX. My home airport is PDX (Portland). It gets awards for its ease of navigation. TSA lines tend to be short. Everything feels open and wide, and cared for.

To be fair, my airport dislike isn't just LAX. I equally (potentially even more) hate Phoenix Sky Harbor :)

SNA without question. LAX sucks.

With all things being equal...yes...but factor in direct vs more travel time on a connection and potential price savings...it is not a deal breaker.

While SNA is certainly more convenient...not sure why many get in a tizzy over LAX. I am in and out of there quite a bit and it is no big deal.

Saving two or three hours and a few hundred dollars...LAX. If it is only 30 min to an hour and price is close...SNA.

With all things being equal...yes...but factor in direct vs more travel time on a connection and potential price savings...it is not a deal breaker.

While SNA is certainly more convenient...not sure why many get in a tizzy over LAX. I am in and out of there quite a bit and it is no big deal.

Saving two or three hours and a few hundred dollars...LAX. If it is only 30 min to an hour and price is close...SNA.

I have flown into and out of LAX at least 100 times in the past 10 years with my job. In that time I have learned to hate that airport more than any other in the United States. The constant delays, construction as well as the god awful traffic to and from that airport make it hell on earth in my experience. I despise that airport and I will happily pay whatever it takes to avoid it and the hours you waste on the freeway driving to and from it. To me, my time is more valuable than any money I could possibly save by using LAX. But different strokes for different folks.

I have flown into and out of LAX at least 100 times in the past 10 years with my job. In that time I have learned to hate that airport more than any other in the United States. The constant delays, construction as well as the god awful traffic to and from that airport make it hell on earth in my experience. I despise that airport and I will happily pay whatever it takes to avoid it and the hours you waste on the freeway driving to and from it. To me, my time is more valuable than any money I could possibly save by using LAX. But different strokes for different folks.
Would you please just stop beating around the bush and tell us exactly how you feel about LAX? ;)

It tend to agree with you across the board. There is a point where price and other issues will tip me towards LAX but LAX is truly one of my least favorites airports.

:wizard:

In your case go with SNA. I much prefer SNA also but on our next trip it just didn't make sense. We are coming from Florida and SNA was $200 more a person (times 5) and we would have a a layover. GOing into LAX is cheaper and non stop.

I’ve done both. My first factor is non-stop vs connecting. From PIT, there are never non-stops to SNA. Sometimes there are to LAX. If I can snag a non-stop to LAX, I usually go with that and it’s usually cheaper. If I have to connect either way, I look at ease of connections and cost.

I was there in October, it was connecting either way so I went with SNA. Uber or Lyft was around $25-$30 each way. For the new pickup area, you go up to Level 3 (check-in level) and cross the street to the garage. It’s right there.

I would chose LGB first, then SNA. LAX it all depends on the time of year and time you are landing. I've been at LAX at like 10am and it was almost empty, not many cars at all, I thought something had happened. So it truly is hit and miss. Huge factor would be transportation cost to and from airport. LGB or SNA flights might be pricier but far closer and much, much easier to jump in an uber/lyft and be on the road, thus less expensive due to proximity to the park. Stress levels will be far less too and if traveling with little ones might even be worth it to save on the headache.
As previous poster mentioned, check pricing for ONT too. Not all that far.
I agree with little ones. There is so much visual stimulation in the parks I need to limit it as much as possible for my kids with SPD. We always fly into SNA with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter