Late Dinner Seating with a Toddler

Joseph Andrew Hunt

Drew's Dad Joe
My family will be sailing on the Magic this coming March. As of right now we are scheduled for a late dinner seating starting at 8:30. My son will be nearly 3 at the time of our sailing. His usual bedtime at home is 8:00 so this may prove to be a problem. My travel agent has us on the waitlist for an earlier time and I plan on asking as soon as we get on the ship. However, does anyone have suggestions if my efforts fail?

Feed him early from the quick service restaurants on the pool deck or from room service.
A 3 year old can be booked in the nursery (there is a cost $9 per hour?) Book a few hours during dinner.

The Cabanas which is a buffet for breakfast and lunch transforms to sit down dining for dinner. Instead of buffet, you order from a menu. It is first come first serve.
We did that one night on the Magic. Kids were 4 and 2 at that time and we had late dining seating. Turns out it was a blessing in disguise as we were able to watch the evening show (kids still awake) and take photos (dinner outfit clean) before dinner.

The Cabanas which is a buffet for breakfast and lunch transforms to sit down dining for dinner. Instead of buffet, you order from a menu. It is first come first serve.
We did that one night on the Magic. Kids were 4 and 2 at that time and we had late dining seating. Turns out it was a blessing in disguise as we were able to watch the evening show (kids still awake) and take photos (dinner outfit clean) before dinner.

Just be aware that Cabanas is NOT open for dinner the first or last night. And on occasion may not be open - or may have very limited hours - on other nights if they need to use it for something else.

I've seen servers bring over empty chairs and kids laid out during second seating. Hard to say what kids that young will do. You may want to look at a good nap time and hope the excitement pushes him through to a later bedtime. If you believe he will be tired during 2nd seating, then do not take him there. Kids get bored during dinner and a tired kid will really be miserable. That will be fun for nobody. But, you will be surprised at the adrenaline rush some kids can get on a cruise.

Don't give up on 1st seating. Usually a few months out they start moving people off the wait list. Around PIF date, people start cancelling and spots open.

Last edited:
Feed him from quick serve or room service whenever he's hungry, or have him eat in the nursery (though the meal options will be limited). He can sleep in the nursery as well, and you can carry him back to your room. But, as mentioned, not free.

We’ve always done late seating with little ones, and our kids usually have early bedtimes at home. There are a couple of pluses for us- the kids get to enjoy the shows while awake and a longer activity in the afternoon. Then if they are sleepy they eat a quick bite (your servers can bring their food with the adult appetizers) and then ours have either drifted off to sleep on a chair or been taken to,the nursery for 45 minutes or so. As an added pkusnwith the nursery if we want to do an adult activity after dinner they can just stay there and we usually pick the. Up already asleep or very close.

We typically give them heavy snacks/late lunch from the pool deck around 3:30 (which works better with excursionstoo) and between that and the whole schedule being off with vacation we’ve always enjoyed having it as the end of our evening rather than rushing to get to dinner and then missing the shows because the little ones are done.

You might be surprised at how well your little guy can adapt. When we first sailed we got late dining, and we were concerned but it worked out so well that we requested late dining after that. Afternoons were more relaxed, the kids were able to engage with the shows, and then our little DS would eat his dinner and fall asleep with his head on my lap while older DS did Dine 'n Play. The adults got quiet dessert / coffee time and DH wasn't the only dad carrying a sleeping little person out of the MDR every night. :) Our kids have traveled from infancy, though, and were always pretty good with flexible bedtimes and meal schedules. If being off-schedule = meltdown city for your toddler, don't worry. There are good options for keeping everyone fed and happy: Cabanas, room service, pool deck, nursery time.

This is a very helpful thread - Last min cruise stuck us in the late dining but I was thinking about feeding prior, they get to watch the shows and maybe they would pass out during dinner or we could try the nursery for one (2) and the kids club for the other (4), but I am concerned about the 4yo being over tired in the kids club. She can sleep anywhere, but I'm worried randomly passing out there is not safe, I guess.

Ask to be on the wait list for early dining. We booked 3 weeks out, late dining assigned when we booked, so we asked to be on a wait list for early, and are sailing out on Friday. Yesterday, Disney sent me an email saying I was moved to early dining.

While my kids are adults, I know being on a dinner schedule is import so no meltdowns.

I hope if you do get stuck with late dining, the above commentors help.

This is a very helpful thread - Last min cruise stuck us in the late dining but I was thinking about feeding prior, they get to watch the shows and maybe they would pass out during dinner or we could try the nursery for one (2) and the kids club for the other (4), but I am concerned about the 4yo being over tired in the kids club. She can sleep anywhere, but I'm worried randomly passing out there is not safe, I guess.

From what I understand later at night in the kids clubs they will dedicate an area of the club for the sleepy ones. I've been told there are "nap pads" similar to a nap time in Kindergarten. So your little one being sleepy in the club would be well taken care of!

From what I understand later at night in the kids clubs they will dedicate an area of the club for the sleepy ones. I've been told there are "nap pads" similar to a nap time in Kindergarten. So your little one being sleepy in the club would be well taken care of!

Yes, later evening there is often a number of the younger ones sleeping on pads/with pillows in a quieter area of the lab/club. Depending how busy the areas are, the area may not be too quiet but like our youngest, when tired they seem able to sleep anywhere.

Thank you for all the tips and stories. We are scheduled for the late dining time and I’m half tempted to just leave it as is. You have all given me lots to consider!!

Our friends with a toddler recently came back from a DCL cruise, and they were happy they got "stuck" with late dining. They said it gave them more time at the pools, and there was no rush to get showered and ready for dinner.

Thanks for the tips. I plan on asking for early dining when we get on the ship. However, we plan on making the best of it no matter what time we get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter