Late check out? / Meers

momtothreeangles

Earning My Ears
Does anybody know if you can make arrangements to check out late? We do not fly out till 8:00 pm the day we leave. I know they will keep your luggage, but if we use the pool it would be nice with 3 children to change in a room. We do not plan to attend a park that day. A second question I have is about meers, is everybody pretty satified with the transportation? Due to cost we don't want to rent a car or take a taxi. Thanks for your info.----Chris

You can sometimes get a late checkout until 1:00pm depending on how full the hotel is. Any later than that you will have to book another night.

I used Mears for a return trip to the airport in February from Port Orleans. They wanted to pick us up for a 5:00pm flight at 1:20pm! I asked for the next one, it was 1:50pm, I reserved that one. The bus was a little late and also stopped at OKW. We got to the airport about 3:00pm. We flew USAir, their check-in line was not long so we had plenty of time.

I know alot of people here don't like Mears.....but we have never had a problem.

DebbieB,
I didn't know you could request a later time. They always told us when they had to pick us up ....last time it was 5:00 for an 8:40 flight. We were at the airport way too early.

Yeah, 1 p.m. is the latest checkout you can get -- sometimes they will only give you until noon. Also, you can't arrange the late checkout in advance or even when you check in -- they say to call the day before.

We don't fly, but I've heard a lot of complaints about Mears. The recommendation I always hear with a family is the towncar companies b/c it is one car taking your family to your resort. Mears sometimes makes several stops. Also, you can get a grocery stop if you want -- great to get water, soft drinks, snacks, etc.

Why don't you ask your question about Mears on the Transportation Board?

We had a 7 pm flight a couple weeks ago and we couldn't check out late. We put out suits in a bag and changed in the bathroom by the pool. Not wonderful but it worked. This time around we used Tiffany's towncar service instead of Mears and it was terrific! They picked us up at the airport, took our luggage, stopped at the grocery store so we could pick up a few snacks and took us directly to the hotel. When it was time to go they were at the hotel when they said they would be and took us directly to the airport. Wdwig.com has a link for a coupon for $5 off too. We will never do Mears again. It was nice not having to pick/drop off people at other hotels and wasting time getting to or leaving Disney.

For the amount of people you have, a towncar service shouldn't be much more $$ than mears.

Mears will have to pick you up earlier than a town car, because they often make other stops. There's no way around that. So instead of hanging out by the pool, you'll be hanging out at the airport.

At the top of the Transportation board is a link to one of the DIS sponsers. You can also ask about other companies.
Transportation board

Mom We got a late flight several times from Orlando and were able to make arrangements thru CM @guest services to have a locker and a place to shower and change after spending a day at the pool.

Originally posted by dansyr
I know alot of people here don't like Mears.....but we have never had a problem.

DebbieB,
I didn't know you could request a later time. They always told us when they had to pick us up ....last time it was 5:00 for an 8:40 flight. We were at the airport way too early.

They did it with the disclaimer that they would not be responsible if we got there late and missed our flight.

They used to pickup about 2 hours early. Now it's 3 1/2! No way!
It was a friend and myself, we had a ride on the way in with other friends so we just needed the return trip and it was cheaper than a towncar. The bus was full, lots of screaming kids, we wished we would have just sprung for the extra money and got the towncar. When we stopped at OKW, the little boy behind us announced that he had to "go". The mother whipped out a water bottle and he went right there! She then handed it across the aisle to the Dad! :eek:

The DVC resorts, BWV, BCV, VWL and OKW, do not permit late check-outs. It's a case by case basis at the other resorts.

A roundtrip between the MCO airport and your Disney resort can be had in a private towncar for $100 (or less), including a very generous tip for the driver(s). Can you really transport 2 adults and 3 children via Mears shuttle for less than that? I don't think so.

According to the Mears website (www.mearstransportation.com), Mears charges $28 RT for an adult and $20 RT for children (ages 4 - 11). Kids 3 and under are free. You might be able to knock a few dollars off if you booked through Disney and use the coupon that comes with your hotel confirmation. In any event, even if Mears is a few dollars cheaper (if 2 of your kids are 3 or under), IMHO, the convenience factor more than makes up for it! (It may not for you, though).

There are many, many advantages to the towncar services. You may want to reconsider your decision to use Mears.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter