Last week of June Vs Mid-August - which would you choose?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

For the past 8 trips we have traveled to WDW in Mid-to late August. The past few years to me it seems a lot more crowded in August. Our last trip this August we just didn't have a magical time, so I would like to mix things up and was thinking of going for 5 nights the last week of June this year June 24 -June 29)

I'm wondering how it would compare to when we usually go - crowd level wise - the week of 8/10 . Is it a lot more crowded (I know the following week is July 4th, and I have heard it's insanely crowded in the parks for the 4th, don't know if that impacts the week before).

I'm assuming it's just as hot as August - is there more rain in late June than August?

I've also heard there are a lot of big tour/youth groups who travel during June.

So if you had to choose between the last week in June or mid-August which would you choose and why?

Thanks so much for any feedback, Marina :flower1:

I think that is as close to six-of-one as you can get. If those are your choices, go when it makes the most sense for your family, because I can't imagine the weather or the crowds at WDW being any different.

I think June is more crowded than August, even mid-August. Kids do start going back to school by mid-August. They are all out in June. JMO. I agree with previous comments as well that just going when is best for you is probably the best choice

In terms of schedule, we are open for both months, so schedule-wise both would be equally convenient:-).

I also travel in Mid August, and have noticed a significant increase in the crowds over the years, however I don't expect that the end of June would be any better.

I also travel in Mid August, and have noticed a significant increase in the crowds over the years, however I don't expect that the end of June would be any better.

Do you think it would be about the same as mid-August or worse?

I've been both - crowds are worse in June. That said, it's what works for our family this year, so that's when we're going. Honestly, the more you plan...the less it matters. I've only been in the summer, and never waited more than 30 minutes to go on a ride, and even that's a rarity.

I agree with PP. Both weeks will be hot and crowded, but there's less chance of a hurricane in June. To me, that's the only factor that makes the decision closer to seven of one and half a dozen of the other.

In 9 trips, I've never had a Hurricane impact my trip in any significant way, so that isn't high on my list of things to consider. I would expect that with the end of June being right after schools get out of session in pretty much all of the North East, June is probably busier than the middle of August, but that is only a guess for me, since I've never visited in the end of June.

I have been there in early July, and I can say for certain it was more crowded then than I have ever seen it in mid August.

And just to toss this in, I've got friends who have been hurricaned twice at WDW, and they say it's the best time to be there. You might have some trouble if it's a big storm that hits dead on, but that very very very ver rarely happens, and otherwise folks are scared away by the storm. So that might make August more attractive.

We have done mid August several years. Last year we went in June, we had a hurricane in June, never in August, good thing it was not to bad, just cancelled most night time things. Both June and August we had rain in afternoon, but pools closed for the rain in June, never had that happen in August. As for crowds, we had about the same I felt. AK saw a lot of crowds, HS was crowded, maybe not as crowded but it was packed at time, but that could be all the closed things there. MK and EP felt the same, but it seems to be the same in August, it just may have taken an hour or so longer. Like in June it may have hit large crowds by 11, where as in August it was 1. I found it less humid in June than in August. But both was hot, and both had humidity, we are just not use to humidity so it bothers us more. So over all, I think you will find it about the same, so this year we picked May we did it about 7 years ago,and two years ago we picked sept, these two months so a lot less crowds.

So, if having to choose August, how would the second week of Aug, 5-12 be crowd wise, heat/humidity/rain? Otoh, it doesn't really matter as we have to go then as DD26 got a job at a school now, so our usually Nov or Dec trips for a week are out now. Not sure which of Aug, June or July would be better but for this year at least, she's getting married in July so Aug is it. Not at all looking forward to the heat and humidity, don't do too well in that, and one of the reasons I like the late fall trips! But, trying to get set for Aug. We will add a small weekend trip in mid Nov to do a Xmas party so that'll be good at least! Gotta use our AP's! Thx!

Just to add one more perspective.... If you reside in a southern state, I don't think the heat will matter either month as your body will have already adjusted to hotter temps. If you are from a northern state like I am, it doesn't get "hot" until July so going from 70s or low 80s to 90s is a much bigger jump and "feels" unbearable. When we travel in late July and August, our bodies have adjusted to the heat already.

Also--with Pandora opening, I expect the summer attendance will be higher than usual. The later you can go in August the better because at least some schools will be back in session.

My guess is mid August would be slightly less crowded than late June if only because some school systems will have started back. OTOH the weather in mid August may be ever so slightly more sultry than late June just because the hot air masses have lingered longer. I don't see much of a difference in the two time periods.

The only time we've done late August was Labor Day weekend 2015 (I don't even recall, maybe that was Sept 1st??). But we've done late June at least 7 or 8 times...and will do it again in 2017 and 2018.

First, as far as I know, there are no "slow" times at WDW anymore, so that is out the window. Yes, as it gets closer to the 4th of July holiday, the crowd will get progressively larger... Frankly, I don't think there's any reason not to go even on the 4th of July, it's still a ton of fun. However, when we were there last June we were surprised how light the crowds were in late June, it wasn't until 4th of July weekend itself that the crowds really grew.

Weather will be hot and humid, but it's Florida in the summer. We've lucked out with rain, haven't had a ton of it, and often when it comes it has been overnight. But still be prepared for pop up t-storms, they're common.

The tour groups start showing up at the very end of June, early July. They're about the only thing I don't like about WDW in July.

The only time we've done late August was Labor Day weekend 2015 (I don't even recall, maybe that was Sept 1st??). But we've done late June at least 7 or 8 times...and will do it again in 2017 and 2018.

First, as far as I know, there are no "slow" times at WDW anymore, so that is out the window. Yes, as it gets closer to the 4th of July holiday, the crowd will get progressively larger... Frankly, I don't think there's any reason not to go even on the 4th of July, it's still a ton of fun. However, when we were there last June we were surprised how light the crowds were in late June, it wasn't until 4th of July weekend itself that the crowds really grew.

Weather will be hot and humid, but it's Florida in the summer. We've lucked out with rain, haven't had a ton of it, and often when it comes it has been overnight. But still be prepared for pop up t-storms, they're common.

The tour groups start showing up at the very end of June, early July. They're about the only thing I don't like about WDW in July.

I've heard about all the tours groups in July - which is why I won't go that month. We usually go August 10 & on and have only seen a tour group on one occasion.

Do you think there would be a lot of tour groups that last week of June?

The first 2 weeks of August will still be very busy as Disney still considers it prime time (summer season). If you look at pricing for Disney they don't cut their prices from summer until around August 13 and "fall" pricing starts Aug 25.

I'm not saying crowd is directly related but Disney knows that until Mid August is still prime summer vacation time.

May 29-Aug 12 Summer $252/$252
Aug 13-Aug 24 Regular $246/$278
Aug 25-Sep 16 Fall $232/$258

We have gone the last week in June and in mid August. Crowds were about the same. Temps about the same. I did notice a litte more afternoon thunderstorms in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter