Last Minute Trips

ChiTownZee

"You have no idea what I'm capable of."-Evil Queen
Are last minute trips ever possible w/ DVC? I ask because we have been known to make last minute decisions to go to WDW within a day or 2 notice. Will it ever be possible to book days or weeks in advance or are they always completely booked months ahead of time?

Several posters have reported making last minute reservations, so it is definitely possible. Of course, you can never really know availability until you call.

The answer depends on several factors, including the time of year you're doing this, the day of the week you want to stay and your flexibility with resort and room size. DH and I had the exact same concern before we purchased in December. We travel a lot for work and tend to make last-minute trips with little planning. However, we also do several planned trips a year. What we have found is yes, you can make short-notice reservations WITH exception. If you are going Easter week - forget about it. If you HAVE to stay at BWV - forget about it. If you HAVE to have a studio - forget about it. If you HAVE to go from Monday to Wednesday - forget about it.

Not that some of those wouldn't be possible, but I think you get the point. You MUST be flexible. You should have pretty good luck IF you are going during a relatively slower season, IF you don't mind spending points on weekend nights (they are higher, so fill up slower), IF you don't care which resort you stay in and IF you are flexible on the size of accomodations. We just recently booked a 2 bedroom and a studio at OKW for a trip in late April with no problem. However, BWV only had preferred 1 bedrooms open, VWL had 2 bedrooms only.

Bottom line: it CAN be done IF you are flexible. And you may be surprised how DVC ownership changes how you plan! DH and I have found we have SO much fun planning how to spend our points, we have our trips completely planned out THROUGH our 2004 use year! It's something we never really did before just because we never had a reason to. Now that we have the points to use - and keep track of - it's fun to get out the book or pull up the DVC planner program and just play!

Hope that helps!

Last minute reservations during peak times are not just a DVC issue. You would have trouble booking specific resorts at WDW as well during those times. Again, a lot depends on one's flexibility.

Just didn't want this to come off as a "DVC only" issue, especially during peak times.

Excellent point, Granny! In fact, during our trip in December we decided to extend by a day while we were already on site. We called the day before we had to check out of AKL and couldn't get in anywhere but Wilderness Lodge. This was during the first two weeks of December, not normally a very busy time at the parks either. Just one example of how that happens for regular Disney resorts as well.

We were in Fla the week of Presidents day and called on Monday and got 2 nights (Wed & Thur) in a studio at WLV. I could have gotten 1 night each at OKW or BWV but for only 2 nights I didnt want to have to switch resorts.
My other option was to pay $109 per night for All Star. To me it was well worth the 28 points.
I never expected that there would be anything at any of the DVC properties but I was pleasantly surprised.

I couldn't believe it...we called today and asked if there was any availability for BWV for April 10-14...BWV is our home...got it!!

Sometimes those last minute reservations work out...try it.

Last minute reservations are definitely possible. But as WDWguru points out flexibility on where, when & how long is the key. And there are certainly some periods with no availability at the DVC resorts.

If you have trouble finding the dates you want but you are flexible - try asking MS what availabilty they have for 3 consecutive nights at any DVC resort in the month of April for example - then go on from there.

Also, if you have to get away for a few days and nothing at the DVC resorts are satisfying your requirements, don't forget the Disney hotel option. The points are more but for a short last minute trip, it's great to know we have that option too - and a great opportunity to try out those deluxe hotels without spending $$ out of pocket!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We got two nights at a VWL studio on 1 week notice. That was late September last year, though, so probably not representative of normal conditions.

We got an Inn Room at Vero Beach last year. We made the reservation 6 weeks ahead. It is possible but you need to be flexible.

Made reservations for a studio at OKW for 8 days this past January, on just three weeks in advance. Couldn't get Sunday and Monday but Monday was MLK day and holiday weeks always seem a little bit more crowded.:bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter