Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

But every movie out of Disney/Pixar animation is a Lasseter film b/c he runs it...he has a say in everything...

True. But it seems to me that the bigger point @rteetz is trying to make is that choosing to boycott the film doesn’t JUST hurt Lasseter. It also hurts the whole team of animators, actors, writers, etc. Do they deserve to be punished for the poor actions of Lasseter and possibly others in top leadership? That seems to just add insult to injury. Would you want your work to be boycotted/thrown out because your boss was a jerk?

True. But it seems to me that the bigger point @rteetz is trying to make is that choosing to boycott the film doesn’t JUST hurt Lasseter. It also hurts the whole team of animators, actors, writers, etc. Do they deserve to be punished for the poor actions of Lasseter and possibly others in top leadership? That seems to just add insult to injury. Would you want your work to be boycotted/thrown out because your boss was a jerk?

But it's not - a boycott only hurts Lasseter and Disney corporate and sends the message that they better not dream of bringing him back b/c he's a rainmaker...you go to this movie and you say you're fine with the behavior as long as the product is good...

Again, it would be different if the Coco team was paid on box office performance...but they are not...only Disney corporate is...

Later Netflix numbers will get the point across that you didn't skip the movie b/c you weren't interested - you skipped b/c you were sending a message (that apparently should have been sent for years, since Disney and Pixar had a 2010 conversation on the Lasseter issue)...and the RT score guarantees the director will make many more movies...

Exactly!

But it's not - a boycott only hurts Lasseter and Disney corporate and sends the message that they better not dream of bringing him back b/c he's a rainmaker...you go to this movie and you say you're fine with the behavior as long as the product is good...

Again, it would be different if the Coco team was paid on box office performance...but they are not...only Disney corporate is...

Later Netflix numbers will get the point across that you didn't skip the movie b/c you weren't interested - you skipped b/c you were sending a message (that apparently should have been sent for years, since Disney and Pixar had a 2010 conversation on the Lasseter issue)...and the RT score guarantees the director will make many more movies...

Except for this probably won’t make it Netflix right? It’ll instead be on the Disney streaming service

Me going to see a film means I am fine with this behavior? I think that statement is ridiculous. I am going to see this film because I appreciate animation not because I think sexual misconduct is good.

No, it will be on 2018 Netflix just like all the other Pixar movies - new contract starts in 2019...and if not, Redbox always has free codes to again see it without money benefiting Disney (at least directly)...

Oh okay, didn’t know that, thank you for clarifying! Even still, this just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Supporting a film and the theaters who show it doesn’t mean I’ll condone harrassment. Even if the whole team isn’t paid on box office success, it’s still their work and shoot, this movie has already broken records! That’s gotta be a source of pride for them and in my opinion, they should be able to have that same source of pride in the US market as well.

No, it will be on 2018 Netflix just like all the other Pixar movies - new contract starts in 2019...and if not, Redbox always has free codes to again see it without money benefiting Disney (at least directly)...
Not all Pixar movies are on Netflix are they? Cars 3 isn't so how can we be sure this will?

"Another former insider remembers awkward encounters with Lasseter, who liked — as many in the industry do — to hug in meetings. “You’d hug him and he’s whisper in your ear, a long time,” this person says. “He hugged and hugged and everyone’s looking at you. Just invading the space.”"

See now, that's just screwing up hugs for the rest of us, people that know what a solid heart-felt non-creepy hug is supposed to be. Nice job, Lassie!
Why would people hug at work? I am a woman and I worked in tech for many years. I made great friendships with lots of male co workers but no hugging. We even went out for drinks often but it would never occur to any of us to touch. These women talk about a move called "the Lasseter" where you have to block your legs so he doesn't grab your knee. This is not the normal behavior in any workplace I've been a part of.

Why would people hug at work? I am a woman and I worked in tech for many years. I made great friendships with lots of male co workers but no hugging. We even went out for drinks often but it would never occur to any of us to touch. These women talk about a move called "the Lasseter" where you have to block your legs so he doesn't grab your knee. This is not the normal behavior in any workplace I've been a part of.

I work with some major publishers of magazines over the last 30 years and let me tell you there were several women that hugged me the minute they saw me. Talking high ups here. All but one of them I would not think twice about it being anything more than "friendly" hello and just their way of greeting people in the industry. There was one though that held on a little longer than was comfortable to a married man like me. I never told her to stop though as I knew there were other people in the room. You can bet I made sure I was never alone with her though.

Same here. No more contact than a handshake.

I remember when one of my kids were in K, they had to institute a "No Hugging" rule. Because some of the girls were just going up to kids and slamming them with a hug.

I work with some major publishers of magazines over the last 30 years and let me tell you there were several women that hugged me the minute they saw me. Talking high ups here. All but one of them I would not think twice about it being anything more than "friendly" hello and just their way of greeting people in the industry. There was one though that held on a little longer than was comfortable to a married man like me. I never told her to stop though as I knew there were other people in the room. You can bet I made sure I was never alone with her though.
Yikes. I get that different industries have different cultures but I assumed that Pixar is pretty male heavy. I always felt like, If you guys aren't going around hugging each other there's no reason to hug me. Sounds like Lasseter may at the most innocent have boundary problems if he's hugging everyone but it's super disrespectful as a powerful guy to have your hands on everyone all the time. How sloppy. Just because you're at work in the middle of the day doesn't mean you're not drunk. Not that it's an excuse but also may be something he needs time off to get a grip on.

Me going to see a film means I am fine with this behavior? I think that statement is ridiculous. I am going to see this film because I appreciate animation not because I think sexual misconduct is good.
Furthermore, it could mean getting some crap spin that the audience won't go to movies featuring Latin Americans. And that can have an industry wide impact.
I would love to come up with some idea to show support for those stepping forward with their accusation, I just don't think this is the correct one.

Furthermore, it could mean getting some crap spin that the audience won't go to movies featuring Latin Americans. And that can have an industry wide impact.
I would love to come up with some idea to show support for those stepping forward with their accusation, I just don't think this is the correct one.

I hadn't thought of that angle. I don't know...I hear what @rteetz is saying, but I also think that often in these types of situations there has been pressure on the woman (or women) to accept/adapt to the inappropriate behavior so as to not to harm the company/product. Go along to get along - the idea that there was a name to a defensive move, "The Lasseter" suggests that to me. If the news lately is any indication, that culture may be changing...

I experienced harassment by a supervisor early in my career (non-profit), and when I came forward and said what she was doing, I was told by people that I trusted and respected that I needed to keep quiet or risk harming the image of the agency, and thereby possibly impacting donations and services to clients. I was young and dedicated to my clients, and the ones with the power knew exactly what message to give for the desired outcome. When I look back on it now, I can't imagine it happening in 2017, but if that was a non-profit, I imagine when things like this happen in high profile companies the pressure must be tremendous.

Disney can solve the whole problem and fire Lasseter anytime they want...that would probably make folks feel a whole lot better about seeing Coco...it's not like other companies had backup plans when they let go of Weinstein, Charlie Rose, Louis CK, Kevin Spacey, Jeffrey Tambor, Mark Halperin, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter