Large Family Trip Recommendations

shaunacb

Always planning a DVC trip from Canada!
I am planning a trip in just over a year with extended family totalling 10 people (9 plus an infant)... two families and a grandma). I am trying to plan my points to book for everyone (likely a 2 bedroom and a studio, or maybe a treehouse but that would be tight). It is a lot of points, and I would prefer to save some of my points. So I am wondering if it would be possible to book only the 2 bedroom villa on points (say at BLT or AKL or BWV), and then get the hotel room or studio in the same resort with cash. Does anyone know what the DVC cash discount is, what resorts and room types it can be used at, and how far in advance this can be booked? I would be booking my 2 bedroom villa at 7 months, so would like to book the cash room then too. Thanks!

The Member Cash discount is 25% off rack rates at DVC Resorts ONLY. The Member Cash discount is not always available.

We called MS to ask about it for one of our trips. We only needed a studio and we were open to any resort but all they had was a 1 bedroom at BLT for a little over $700 a night. We got a better deal and more options using our AP discount.

They used to require that the DVC member stay in the cash room, too. Not sure if they still do.

Considering your large party size, it may be worth looking into getting a single annual pass, even if you only plan on going for an amount of days that would not make it seem worthwhile. You would get free photopass for the whole group, dining and merchandise discounts (most likely to be continued), and then you would have AP discounts available for hotel rooms as well. Those typically run somewhere in the 15% range from my experience.

Considering your large party size, it may be worth looking into getting a single annual pass, even if you only plan on going for an amount of days that would not make it seem worthwhile. You would get free photopass for the whole group, dining and merchandise discounts (most likely to be continued), and then you would have AP discounts available for hotel rooms as well. Those typically run somewhere in the 15% range from my experience.
Thanks! Good idea... I have the non-expiring Canadian tickets that were offered last year but I could save those (or one if I only got one AP). We are likely going to WDW 13 months later (late Jan 2019, then mid-Feb 2020), I thought I heard something about APs lasting 13 months instead of 12? We have direct points so would qualify for any DVC discount. Is there only one type of AP for the DVC discount?

Thanks! Good idea... I have the non-expiring Canadian tickets that were offered last year but I could save those (or one if I only got one AP). We are likely going to WDW 13 months later (late Jan 2019, then mid-Feb 2020), I thought I heard something about APs lasting 13 months instead of 12? We have direct points so would qualify for any DVC discount. Is there only one type of AP for the DVC discount?

Yes. Awesome deal on that Platinum Plus (The primo one). Something like $560 for it or somewhere along those lines. You can find out more about it by checking the mouselanious thread.

Personally, I try to avoid any cash booking when possible. Would you have enough points to book your 2 bed plus studio at OKW?

Thanks. That looks like 293 points for a week, so that’s not much more than a treehouse. Or I could do 6 nights in OKW GV for the same amount of points. What I am really hoping for is AKV Value but I know that’s extremely unlikely (end of January). What should I do if I can’t get AKV value: OKW GV (6 nights), OKW or AKV standard 2 bed plus studio, SSR Treehouse? It would sure be nice to be avoid the bus sometimes with little kids and a stroller, but I think BLT, BWV, BCV, VWL, etc are more point intensive... maybe if I could get BWV standard 2 bed and studio, but I think that’s unlikely at 7 months too! What would you wise Dis-er’s do?

It hurts to use my precious VGC points for OKW or SSR... I also have 91 AUL points I could borrow but it’s risky because my AUL is a Feb UY borrowing into Jan, so would lose the points if we had to cancel right?

At the treehouses, it is my understanding that there is no direct bus service to the park. You take an internal bus to SSR proper and then transfer to a park bus. Unless that has changed?

Last edited:
I have never stayed there (actually the only DVC property in WDW I have stayed is BLT!) but I thought I read that you could walk to the regular SSR busses if you request a treehouse near the pool or grandstand? Two buses would be even worse than one though! I guess I will have to see what is available at 7 months and go from there. But if I do have a choice (January is low season so maybe I will have a few options), what would you book for my party of 9 plus baby? Thanks for your help! This board is amazing!

I have never stayed there (actually the only DVC property in WDW I have stayed is BLT!) but I thought I read that you could walk to the regular SSR busses if you request a treehouse near the pool or grandstand? Two buses would be even worse than one though! I guess I will have to see what is available at 7 months and go from there. But if I do have a choice (January is low season so maybe I will have a few options), what would you book for my party of 9 plus baby? Thanks for your help! This board is amazing!
First thing I would do before I used up my points, plus borrowed points would be get it written in blood that everyone was still in the plan. There are lots of members on this board with horror stories of how everyone was on board when it was discussed, but as they got closer to the date when it was too late to cancel, their family members were cancelling on them. Now if you are providing transportation to and from, plus park admission, that's one nice free vacation for your family. But if they have to get to the parks, buy park admission, plan on money for food and souvenirs, it can come as a shock when they figure up the costs.

Just edited the title to reflect where this post has gone... not really discussing cash rooms anymore. Would love some resort recommendations, thanks Dis!

We did book an OKW GV several years ago for our son's HS graduation trip with eight of his friends. We paid for all the lodging, including on the way there and back (one night in hotels each way), the transportation (two vehicles with a UHaul trailer for the luggage). The kids paid for their park admission, souvenirs and all meals (except for one breakfast at Chef Mickey that we paid for). The OKW GV was very nice. One bedroom only has two double beds in it since it is smaller than the other upstairs bedroom. The master was very nice with lots of space. There as a fourth bathroom (shower, no tub) just off the living room for the guests sleeping in the living room (one queen sleeper sofa, one twin sized sleeper chair). I did purchase two extra towel packs (twice) since I knew the girls would need extra towels. The girls were total pigs and I didn't let housekeeping come upstairs for Trash & Towel service. I gathered the trash and towels and replaced them. I told the kids that on our departure day they were responsible for cleaning up all the trash and making the rooms look somewhat presentable, which they did.

Even though the OKW GV has sleeping spaces for 13, it is limited to 12 plus one under the age of three.

We have take three extended family trips where we've taken care of the rooms for family. We had a trip with 20, one with 24 and one with 19 people. Our first trip was at VWL (BRV) and we had 2 2BR and 1 studio and they were all very close to one another (2 BR were directly across from each other, studio was about 2 doors down. It was nice and there were several young children so we really had plenty of room. Our second trip was at BCV, which we switched to at the 7 month time. We had 2 2 BR and 3 or 4 studios (can't remember exactly). We had to bank, use and borrow points for that trip and we also paid for one room with the 25% DVC discount. We had one family of four which we really didn't expect to come and we were out of points so we booked a room for them on cash. They did come and thus we were glad we had that room reserved for them. On that trip, they said our rooms were as close as possible, but I don't think I would have called them close. One was on a different floor, and the others were on two different hallways of the same floor. It was nice that we weren't up in everyone's business, but we had lots of kids and it was hard when they wanted to go see their cousins. Our last trip was at Kidani Village and we had a 2 BR that was Savannah View and three studios. We were in the same hallway, same floor with about 12 rooms between the two rooms furthest from each other.

I think the trip at Kidani was the easiest as our room (2BR) was the gathering place and we had a long balcony, enough room in the living room for people to come and go for breakfast and having the 3 bathrooms in the 2BR was great. The families with kids were all in the studios and I think it gave them a little more time for relaxation and less time for fussing. We have enjoyed having our points and saving for family trips. My DH family would have never been able to have all the families stay on property and it has brought us a lot of joy. We've considered a trip to OKW because of the room size, but we haven't done that yet. Our next trip might be to Hilton Head, however, we are having trouble banking points :)

Thanks. That looks like 293 points for a week, so that’s not much more than a treehouse. Or I could do 6 nights in OKW GV for the same amount of points. What I am really hoping for is AKV Value but I know that’s extremely unlikely (end of January). What should I do if I can’t get AKV value: OKW GV (6 nights), OKW or AKV standard 2 bed plus studio, SSR Treehouse? It would sure be nice to be avoid the bus sometimes with little kids and a stroller, but I think BLT, BWV, BCV, VWL, etc are more point intensive... maybe if I could get BWV standard 2 bed and studio, but I think that’s unlikely at 7 months too! What would you wise Dis-er’s do?

It hurts to use my precious VGC points for OKW or SSR... I also have 91 AUL points I could borrow but it’s risky because my AUL is a Feb UY borrowing into Jan, so would lose the points if we had to cancel right?
Why not rent out your points and pay cash or rent privately. That way you might be able to get a value AKV 2 BR plus a studio or BWV standard. Or you could get a BLT standard 2 BR which will accommodate your party size wise but might not for sleeping arrangements. For 7 months you can likely write off value & standard view except for AKV or SSR.

Why not rent out your points and pay cash or rent privately. That way you might be able to get a value AKV 2 BR plus a studio or BWV standard. Or you could get a BLT standard 2 BR which will accommodate your party size wise but might not for sleeping arrangements. For 7 months you can likely write off value & standard view except for AKV or SSR.

I should have known @Dean would beat me to it. As soon as I saw VGC points - rent those out and use the $$ to rent from an owner with a home resort where you would like to stay. BLT standard 2BR may be possible, and could hold your whole group though maybe not great for sleeping with 2 families plus grandparents. Then either do a studio at BLT either on points or cash, OR get a hotel room on cash. The resort and hotel are not that far apart and if you have strollers, BLT is THE best.

BUT - I would echo a PP who said make sure you get all the family members to commit in writing in blood! We rented points for a BLT 2BR for 9 people 6 adults, 1 kid 2 babies. And my sister's family of 3 almost bailed - and ultimately they came for like 4 days out of 8. Sigh.

This is a great thought... use BLT or AKV points to book at 11 months. I wonder if I could “trade” my VGC points for AKV/BLT points rather than rent so I could control the reservation? Do people charge less for transferred points compared to renting? I think it is only 1 transfer per UY, but I have 2 memberships with different UYs. Could I transfer out of my VGC June membership and transfer into my AUL Feb membership? Do transferred points need to be of the same UY as the membership they are going into? (ie Should I be looking for AKV or BLT points with only Feb or June UY?). Thanks!

This is a great thought... use BLT or AKV points to book at 11 months. I wonder if I could “trade” my VGC points for AKV/BLT points rather than rent so I could control the reservation? Do people charge less for transferred points compared to renting? I think it is only 1 transfer per UY, but I have 2 memberships with different UYs. Could I transfer out of my VGC June membership and transfer into my AUL Feb membership? Do transferred points need to be of the same UY as the membership they are going into? (ie Should I be looking for AKV or BLT points with only Feb or June UY?). Thanks!
The year has to match. So 2017 into 2017. Most people would expect a one to one by trading. But selling them outright would be easier. You just have to do it yourself and not go through a broker since they won't give you a GCV premium over everything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter