~*~ Lake George, NY cottage ~*~ that won't break the bank?

mafibisha

DIS Veteran
Hey all, You're so wise in so many areas, that I hope someone can help.

We want to take in-laws for a long weekend while kids are at camp. They REALLY need to get away, but their budget (and ours) is tight and they won't go if we don't take them.

We need a 1-2 bedroom (separate from living area) cottage OR a suite motel room with the same separation. We'd do connecting / adjoining motel rooms but that means more $$ - unless you know of a nice place like that. This really has to be a BUDGET get-away. We need to be under one roof but with separate sleeping areas, i.e. a door between us. :)

It would be great to be right ON the lake if possible! But being nearby is ok too.

What might be tough is that so much in LG is *rustic* but MIL would prefer that it not be -- ahhh --- but more like a nice Hampton Inn room. (ha, no pressure there LOL but she really IS a wonderful MIL) Hoping someone knows of the best hidden secret place maybe?

I would be very grateful for ANY ideas, tips, websites, recommendations ect. TIA!!!

Hey all, You're so wise in so many areas, that I hope someone can help.

We want to take in-laws for a long weekend while kids are at camp. They REALLY need to get away, but their budget (and ours) is tight and they won't go if we don't take them.

We need a 1-2 bedroom (separate from living area) cottage OR a suite motel room with the same separation. We'd do connecting / adjoining motel rooms but that means more $$ - unless you know of a nice place like that. This really has to be a BUDGET get-away. We need to be under one roof but with separate sleeping areas, i.e. a door between us. :)

It would be great to be right ON the lake if possible! But being nearby is ok too.

What might be tough is that so much in LG is *rustic* but MIL would prefer that it not be -- ah --- but more like a nice Hampton Inn room. (ha, no pressure there LOL but she really IS a wonderful MIL) Hoping someone knows of the best hidden secret place maybe?

I would be very grateful for ANY ideas, tips, websites, recommendations ect. TIA!!!

A couple of years ago a group of stayed at Cramers Point in Lake George we had a "cottage" that was basically two hotel rooms with a full kitchen in between the rooms. It was great and a really mice family family place. It may be spelled with a K just Google and see what comes up. It was really reasonable in price and you didn't have to rent for a week! Some of our friends are going back this year on vacation; and staying their again, aren't going because it is a on Disney Year so only a mini summer vacation for us. :thumbsup2

A couple of years ago a group of stayed at Cramers Point in Lake George we had a "cottage" that was basically two hotel rooms with a full kitchen in between the rooms. It was great and a really mice family family place. It may be spelled with a K just Google and see what comes up. It was really reasonable in price and you didn't have to rent for a week! Some of our friends are going back this year on vacation; and staying their again, aren't going because it is a on Disney Year so only a mini summer vacation for us. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I will check it out!

Still open to any other ideas - anyone?

We have stayed at the Heritage in Lake George. It's on the main drag, north of the center of town, but definitely walking distance.

I've also been at the Lake Motel, which is a little closer to the center of town and right on the lake.

Check out Surfside on Lake George.

It's your standard motel, but clean, convenient, and within easy walking distance to Lake George village. It has a nice pool and an great lakefront area.

We get the efficiency, but look into their other options. http://www.surfsideonthelake.com/ I've never seen the suites, so I can't vouch for them. But next year, after this year's WDW splurge, we'll be back at Surfside.

Also, for what it's worth, their front desk has a BUNCH of coupons for local restaurants.

Thanks for the replies, Aliceacc and JackDis!

Aliceacc - the Surfside looks really good. The rooms seem Hampton-Inn-ish (my MILs request LOL)

Do you have any idea exactly how small the smaller rooms are? We're on a strict budget (this isn't our only vacation / getaway this year) so looking at 2 adjoining small rooms.

Also, when looking at their pics, its hard to tell what is what. How far back is the south wing?

Still open to ANY and all suggestions from anyone. Thanks so much - this will mean ALOT to MIL and FIL.

I hate to piggyback on this post, but my family is going to Lake George at the end of July. My husband won a trip through his job, and we are staying at the Sagamore.

I'm not familiar with the area and would really like suggestions for activities. I have three boys ages 8, 5, 5. We are planning at least one day in Six Flags. How busy it it during a weekday in July?

Hi, I stayed at the Surfside about 3 years ago. I remember the hotel being clean and the staff friendly. We stayed in a regular room, my children were probably 1, 3 and 5 at the time. The hotel room was extremely small, probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was two full sized beds pushed up against either wall with a small bathroom in the corner with a TV by the beds. I would stay at this place again, but for me, I would get one of the larger rooms now that my children are bigger. The property is on the lake, and it is a very long and narrow set up. I remember the pool looked nice as well. Good luck.

Also, when looking at their pics, its hard to tell what is what. How far back is the south wing?

Still open to ANY and all suggestions from anyone. Thanks so much - this will mean ALOT to MIL and FIL.

Last year, we had the very first (or last, depending on your point of view) room-- closest to the street and furthest from the lake. It was still a 2 or 3 minute walk to the lake, less than that to the pool.

Our first year there, we stayed in a standard room. There were 5 of us, and it was a bit crowded, but completely do-able. Some nights my son even slept on his cot (he decided THAT summer that he could no longer share a bed with his sisters)-- it was tight, but not a problem.

Many of the standard rooms have a nice little balcony/patio with 2 chairs.

Did I mention that you can see the Thursday night fireworks from the dock?

Also, I wasn't specific before: even with 3 kids, even during the early "I'm too big for a stroller" years, the walk to town was about 5 minutes. (The walk home was invariably 10 minutes!)

Whoever mentioned the Sagamore: I would LOVE to stay there sometime, but it is most definitely NOT in the budget of this 2-teacher household. It looks absolutely gorgeous though-- enjoy it!!!

I hate to piggyback on this post, but my family is going to Lake George at the end of July. My husband won a trip through his job, and we are staying at the Sagamore.

I'm not familiar with the area and would really like suggestions for activities. I have three boys ages 8, 5, 5. We are planning at least one day in Six Flags. How busy it it during a weekday in July?

There is SO much to do for families!!!!

There's a mini golf place on each corner. Also, think about planning a cruise on one of the big ships that run. ONe year, my son had a question about how they spend the winter (in drydock or on the lake) and we emailed the question to the Lake George steamboat Co. Along with the reply was an invitation to let them know when we would be coming up. We responded, and we got the chance to meet the Captain of the boat. That photograph still has a place of honor in Brian's room. The cruises range from 1 hour to 3, and are pretty reasonable.

If your kids are braver than mine, there's the House of Frankenstein in town. Julia made about 30 seconds before screaming and running for the exit.

The Sagamore is close enough to Bolton Landing that you can easily spend a morning there, wandering through the shops. At the town park there, they have enormous rocks that my kids just love to climb-- a great photo op.

In Lake George village, you can tour Fort William Henry (of Last of the Mohicans fame).

There are fireworks in town every Thursday night, and very often there are bands playing at the bandshell at Shepherd's park.

If you're interested, there are some great outlets near 6 flags. Every year I buy myself a Kasper suit or 2 at their outlet.

We're SO not a parasailing family, but that's available too.

There's a rodeo that runs 2 nights a week (I want to say Saturday and Wednesday, but I may be wrong. We have yet to actually get there.) You may notice a big truck shaped like a bull riding through town; it will have the rodeo info painted on it. For the more conventional approach, your hotel office should be able to tell you.

If you're looking to rent a small boat, there are tons of places where it's available.

You can get a horse an buggy ride right by Fort William Henry.

There are also 2 ice cream shops that sell cotton candy flavored ice cream, my daughter's favorite. That's a nightly tradition with us.

We haven't been to 6 Flags in a few years, and always in August, but the last time it wasn't empty, but most certainly not "Disney busy." Your admission includes the water park, so bring suits.

That's all that occurs to me at the moment, but feel free to ask more. We love Lake George the way that lots of people on the DIS love WDW. As much as we can't wait for WDW this summer, a part of us will REALLY miss this year's trip to Lake George!

Oops, one more thing: some of those nights, even in mid summer, can get chilly, so bring long sleeves or a light jacket. Also, don't forget bug spray and sunblock!!!

Last year, we had the very first (or last, depending on your point of view) room-- closest to the street and furthest from the lake. It was still a 2 or 3 minute walk to the lake, less than that to the pool.

Our first year there, we stayed in a standard room. There were 5 of us, and it was a bit crowded, but completely do-able. Some nights my son even slept on his cot (he decided THAT summer that he could no longer share a bed with his sisters)-- it was tight, but not a problem.

Many of the standard rooms have a nice little balcony/patio with 2 chairs.

Did I mention that you can see the Thursday night fireworks from the dock?

Also, I wasn't specific before: even with 3 kids, even during the early "I'm too big for a stroller" years, the walk to town was about 5 minutes. (The walk home was invariably 10 minutes!

Whoever mentioned the Sagamore: I would LOVE to stay there sometime, but it is most definitely NOT in the budget of this 2-teacher household. It looks absolutely gorgeous though-- enjoy it!!!

Thanks so much for the additional information. Yeah, the Sagamore looks perfect for us but unfortunately, not perfect for our budget lol

It seems like Lake George is an area of many motels ect. so is there any way to tell where the *center* of town is? So it sounds like this is a good location then?

And edited to add: where exactly are the standard rooms with balconies - the central wing?

One easy way to spot a hotel that's "walkable"-- if it's on Canada Street. Once you leave town, that same street becomes "Rte 9N." Also, a personal preference of ours: if we're going to drive 4 hours to be on a lake, we want to be ON the lake, not across Rte 9N from it. So, back in the days when we were sorting out our preferences, we always looked for a place that had lake access. We probably paid more for it, but it mattered to us.

As to the patios, you'll probably have to ask. I think that first year we were probably in a "Poolside room" but I'm not sure anymore. Again, it may cost a bit more, but it was a nice place to have coffee in the morning. The rooms that don't have a balcony (and let me warn you, it's a small balcony) do have 2 outside chairs, but just not a private area to sit.

As far as stuff to do, this may include some of the places I forgot: http://www.visitlakegeorge.com

As far as the Lake George Inn goes, that's a name change for them; last summer they were the Balmoral.

Someone else who knows the area, help me: is that the hotel in the triangle formed by Rte 9 and 9N?? If so, it looks nice, but you're still across the busy road from the lake, kind of wedged in between 2 fairly busy roads. The pool looked nice, but was in the very corner of the wedge. I bet the kids love it, but I'm not sure I would want to be an adult watching the kids, with all those auto fumes going by.

But, again, I'm not positive I have the right place, and my opinions are based on impressions, nothing more.

For a place a bit more high end than the Surfside, consider Marine Village. It looks wonderful!

For a place a bit more high end than the Surfside, consider Marine Village. It looks wonderful!

Yes, Marine Village looks nice too and I really appreciate all the advice.

It wouldn't be such a big deal except MIL is really picky (but sweet too) and I really want it to be a nice getaway for both she and my FIL.

We really need either 2 rooms or a 2 BR cabin. And she's not into rustic :(
Its just getting so expensive :( and I know with taxes and all, it'll be much more than what we're expecting.

Thanks again and please keep those ideas coming!!

:love:

I have never stayed here, but how about the Quality Inn? It's on the southern end of Lake George Village, still walking distance, I think, but looks like more of a hotel that you are looking for.

www.qualityinnlakegeorge.com

We live 35-40 min to lake george so its a fun day trip for us, but we have stayed at the Georgian and Fort William Henry for Weddings and they are both really nice. I like the rooms by the pool at the Georgian.

There is SO much to do for families!!!!

There's a mini golf place on each corner. Also, think about planning a cruise on one of the big ships that run. ONe year, my son had a question about how they spend the winter (in drydock or on the lake) and we emailed the question to the Lake George steamboat Co. Along with the reply was an invitation to let them know when we would be coming up. We responded, and we got the chance to meet the Captain of the boat. That photograph still has a place of honor in Brian's room. The cruises range from 1 hour to 3, and are pretty reasonable.

If your kids are braver than mine, there's the House of Frankenstein in town. Julia made about 30 seconds before screaming and running for the exit.

The Sagamore is close enough to Bolton Landing that you can easily spend a morning there, wandering through the shops. At the town park there, they have enormous rocks that my kids just love to climb-- a great photo op.

In Lake George village, you can tour Fort William Henry (of Last of the Mohicans fame).

There are fireworks in town every Thursday night, and very often there are bands playing at the bandshell at Shepherd's park.

If you're interested, there are some great outlets near 6 flags. Every year I buy myself a Kasper suit or 2 at their outlet.

We're SO not a parasailing family, but that's available too.

There's a rodeo that runs 2 nights a week (I want to say Saturday and Wednesday, but I may be wrong. We have yet to actually get there.) You may notice a big truck shaped like a bull riding through town; it will have the rodeo info painted on it. For the more conventional approach, your hotel office should be able to tell you.

If you're looking to rent a small boat, there are tons of places where it's available.

You can get a horse an buggy ride right by Fort William Henry.

There are also 2 ice cream shops that sell cotton candy flavored ice cream, my daughter's favorite. That's a nightly tradition with us.

We haven't been to 6 Flags in a few years, and always in August, but the last time it wasn't empty, but most certainly not "Disney busy." Your admission includes the water park, so bring suits.

That's all that occurs to me at the moment, but feel free to ask more. We love Lake George the way that lots of people on the DIS love WDW. As much as we can't wait for WDW this summer, a part of us will REALLY miss this year's trip to Lake George!

Oops, one more thing: some of those nights, even in mid summer, can get chilly, so bring long sleeves or a light jacket. Also, don't forget bug spray and sunblock!!!

Thanks for all of the great information. I think we will plan a steamboat cruise. That sounds like so much fun! I've also read about a train ride from Lake Placid that we might enjoy.

Where do you get that Cotton Candy ice cream? We will try that too!

We are going to Lake George instead of Disney World this year. I'm really looking forward to the pleasant climate, but I was afraid of what the crowds were like.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'll show this to my boys, who will probably want to try everything on your list (except parasailing!).

Thanks for all of the great information. I think we will plan a steamboat cruise. That sounds like so much fun! I've also read about a train ride from Lake Placid that we might enjoy.

Where do you get that Cotton Candy ice cream? We will try that too!
QUOTE]

Two places that I'm aware of; there are probably more:

1) At the end of the lake, near Fort William Henry, there are a series of stores. One has a big plastic ice cream cone outside... I know the name, but it's escaping me at the moment and my kids are still asleep. It's one of my daughter's favorite places in LG; I'll get you the name later. Oh, and there are benches outside where you can sit and enjoy that ice cream, sometimes accompanied by the sound of a street musician outside the stores. (edited to add: I just got Julia up for school. Even half asleep, she remembered the name of the store :) It's the Candy Apple)

2) On Canada Street, on the lake side of the street, up about half a block from the visitor's center. There's a store (or at least an outside window) they have it too.

Warning: It's SWEET!! You could go into diabetic schock just sitting next to a child who is eating it!!

And, with all the activities, don't forget about the lake. It's breathtakingly beautiful. A lot of the places have rowboats or canoes you can take out. I always bring up some floats and rafts from home, along with an electric compressor so I can blow them up. You can buy them in town, but of course they're expensive. When our vacation is over, we leave them behind. Likewise with pails and shovels. Hit Target or someplace similar now while they're still in stock, and just throw them in the car.

Let's see, what else? Food: There are a zillion places to eat. We love Montanas (near the House of Frankenstein) Christies and the Shoreline, but there are so many to choose from. We also love the Tamrack for breakfast (it's about 2 doors down from Surfside, so we go there a lot!) Most post their menus outside, so you can see what you're getting into, and many have an outside deck where you can watch the lake.

Dress: strictly casual, though you will want a set of sweatshirts/jackets for the eveinings, even in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter