Ladies, need (inexpensive) wedding ring advice/input

I may be thinking of the wrong poster, but aren't you and your wife very active/health conscious?

If so, I would suggest buying silicone wedding bands to use for the actual ceremony. They're very inexpensive, so even if just used for that it would be okay. But they would also be nice to have in case you're doing something active or travelling and want to not wear your expensive rings.

I know that would not be what most people would consider romantic, but I'm super practical and also not really a jewelry person (which you mention your wife isn't either) so I would much prefer something like this than my husband surprising me with something that I'm not going to use. Besides the practical aspect, to me, it would be more romantic for there to be some kind of significance (your hobby of exercising together) rather than buying a traditional band just because "that's what everyone does".

I would get her something that represents your family, maybe something that has all your birthstones (like a necklace or bracelet) or a stacking set.

If you are really set on buying a piece of jewelry this is what I would do as well. A necklace that represents your family that she can wear on occasion.

I would not surprise your wife like that. I am personally hitting year 24 of marriage and had thought maybe year 25 would be a nice milestone to renew our vows. I would really really really hate it if my husband thought he should suprise me with such an important event. I would rethink that idea.

I would not do a ring. To me there is only one engagement ring and wedding ring. I like the idea of stacking set of birth stone rings for family members but that can get expensive. In this situation, I would do a necklace. Places to look would be etsy and uncommon goods for online ideas. Only you know if your wife would appreciate the surprise or not.

It’s a very thoughtful idea. I, personally, would like the opportunity to write my own renewal vows, especially if my husband is doing his own vows. I don’t think there’s any way to do that without ruining the surprise.

I agree that you should not surprise her with a vow renewal. Instead, buy the ring and use it to propose the vow renewal to her "Will you marry me again?" That way she has a chance to get excited about it and write more personalized vows.

Also, don't get silver. It's too high maintenance and tarnishes too easily. Stick with white gold or platinum. I'd recommend a simple "anniversary band" for her right hand. Have your CURRENT wedding bands engraved as a symbol of your ongoing commitment, and re exchange them during the ceremony.

Bluenile.com is an excellent online jeweler with great customer service and high quality pieces (I used to be a GIA diamond grader...this is one of the best online jewelry retailers).

I agree that you should not surprise her with a vow renewal. Instead, buy the ring and use it to propose the vow renewal to her "Will you marry me again?" That way she has a chance to get excited about it and write more personalized vows.

Also, don't get silver. It's too high maintenance and tarnishes too easily. Stick with white gold or platinum. I'd recommend a simple "anniversary band" for her right hand. Have your CURRENT wedding bands engraved as a symbol of your ongoing commitment, and re exchange them during the ceremony.

Bluenile.com is an excellent online jeweler with great customer service and high quality pieces (I used to be a GIA diamond grader...this is one of the best online jewelry retailers).
I think these are good ideas but I would say for myself I would never want my current wedding band re-engraved. I think that this is such an individual thing. I do agree on bluenile though. That is where we got our bands from 13 years ago.

Oh my, lovely sentiment but I hope your wife is okay with a surprise like this. A vow renewal is personal, and not something I would thank my husband for planning without me. I would be receptive and appreciate the thought behind the event, but not the surprise.

In terms of rings, I would not buy a new one to place in a box. I agree with the others who have suggested a Mother's ring. I think a family ring to symbolize how your marriage evolved from the two of you to all of you. I would treasure that,.

The thing with a "mothers ring" is that, birthstones don't always complement each other in the same piece. Or, they may just not be your wife's taste. That is the case with my kids. March and July birthstones. I hate the color red, and would NEVER wear a ruby. And a ruby paired with aquamarine doesn't really match. So, I wouldn't go this route, personally. I don't even like my own birthstone.

I like some of things with the rings suggested here, I've already told the DW we are not doing vow renewals, I told her I meant what I vowed to the first time, now don't flame me it's JMO, others that do vow renewals I think it's great, just not what we would do. I bought a really pretty band ring, Google Koa rings, it will give you some ideas, (not what mine is but close) I would look at a band for her right hand finger. Oh and our wedding vows were 46 years ago on Sept 29. Been some rocky spots and been some great spots. Our standing joke is if anyone asks how long we have been married, "35 happy years" Oh, you been married 35 years? No been married 45 but been 35 happy years and the DW responds with "That many happy ones?" And I'm on my 3rd wedding band, this one is titanium so maybe will last. Congrats on your 20th anniversary!!!!

I think this is amazing and thoughtful. I can't even get my dh to think about cooking me dinner let alone planning something like this loL! Anyway I am not a jewlery person at all. I wear my wedding set, a watch, a necklace and 1 pair of earrings.

I would not want another ring. I have 2 others and I don't wear them and they are a "mothers ring" with 3 diamonds and my own mothers beautiful anniversary band (worth more than my wedding set). I would rather have a beautiful pair of diamond earrings. I've had bracelets and other necklaces but I don't wear them. I only wear what I already have but I would want those earrings!!!!!

Have a wonderful renewal!

I think this is amazing and thoughtful. I can't even get my dh to think about cooking me dinner let alone planning something like this loL! Anyway I am not a jewlery person at all. I wear my wedding set, a watch, a necklace and 1 pair of earrings.

I would not want another ring. I have 2 others and I don't wear them and they are a "mothers ring" with 3 diamonds and my own mothers beautiful anniversary band (worth more than my wedding set). I would rather have a beautiful pair of diamond earrings. I've had bracelets and other necklaces but I don't wear them. I only wear what I already have but I would want those earrings!!!!!

Have a wonderful renewal!
I agree with classic diamond earrings. I received a pair for Valentine's Day a few years ago (a TOTAL surprise, as I believed my DH would never spend that much on earrings (I saw the credit card statement :p )) and I wear them a few times a week. I love them and they are one of my favorite gifts from him. I don't wear necklaces or bracelets, so those would be a no-go for me. I also don't like the look of Mother's jewelry, but your wife might.

FWIW, I would not want another ring. Personally I would suggest a necklace. On a side note, I don't know your kids ages, but I remember in my early teens my dad took me with him to help pick out jewelry for my mother. We had a great time and when she wears it to this day she slips me a wink and says "thanks for helping him pick out something I'd like". So it's a fun family memory.

Sounds like a wonderful thing you are doing for your wife.

I agree with classic diamond earrings. I received a pair for Valentine's Day a few years ago (a TOTAL surprise, as I believed my DH would never spend that much on earrings (I saw the credit card statement :p )) and I wear them a few times a week. I love them and they are one of my favorite gifts from him. I don't wear necklaces or bracelets, so those would be a no-go for me. I also don't like the look of Mother's jewelry, but your wife might.
I've worn my diamond earrings every day since our 5th anniversary... so, I've had them in for over 20 years. At that point, we only did anniversary presents every 5 years. He got a set of golf clubs that he has since upgraded.

For 10 years, I got a diamond anniversary band and he got a large TV.

Since then, we've only gone out to dinner each year. If we want something, we buy it. Besides, I'd prefer to travel than to get "stuff."

The thing with a "mothers ring" is that, birthstones don't always complement each other in the same piece. Or, they may just not be your wife's taste. That is the case with my kids. March and July birthstones. I hate the color red, and would NEVER wear a ruby. And a ruby paired with aquamarine doesn't really match. So, I wouldn't go this route, personally. I don't even like my own birthstone.
And can be pricey depending on the month. DS is born in April so that’s diamond.

My diamond earrings to this day are my favorite gift from my DH. I wear them almost daily. I do not think the OP would be able to even get a tiny, cloudy pair for $250 though.

I like the silicone ring idea. I have several that I use for the gym. Enso has a nice good quality selection AND you can get them engraved. You could get a matching set for the gym.

I would suggest something from here: https://www.ccforlife.com/
Not so bling-y, reasonably priced, pretty, and durable (critical for me!). I have purchased from them in the past and have been very happy.

Believe me, I hear those of you who say they wouldn't want a surprise like that. I'm going to have to trust my own judgment and my knowledge of my wife in the belief that it is something she would very much appreciate. If I'm wrong, well then...:duck::charac2::crutches: Seriously though, I'm pretty confident. As I said, this is very informal. Really more symbolic than anything. It's going to last all of a few minutes and be just the 5 of us.

Some great suggestions! Yes, we live near Atlanta (not far from Kennesaw, so the PP suggestion is wonderful) and are into health/nutrition. I don't think she'd wear the silicone ring during workouts or things like that because she prefers not to wear any jewelry. When we workout, she's hard core into weight lifting. Frankly, I need to learn to take mine off. It's no longer round because of weightlifting, I need to go get it fixed.

Necklace isn't a bad idea. She wears earings some, but not all the time. I got her a neckalce a few years ago that she wears from time to time, with 3 little diamonds in it to symbolize our kids. I'm still thinking ring, but certainly open to ideas.

My diamond earrings to this day are my favorite gift from my DH. I wear them almost daily. I do not think the OP would be able to even get a tiny, cloudy pair for $250 though.

I like the silicone ring idea. I have several that I use for the gym. Enso has a nice good quality selection AND you can get them engraved. You could get a matching set for the gym.
True, he'd have to up that budget considerably.

As far as silicone rings, DH tried one and hated it. Thank goodness it was cheap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter