Lack of Guest Experience?

disneychik21

Mouseketeer
I am here for 4 days. I am a well seasoned Disney visitor throughout my life and this trip has a certain distinction for rude/inattentive cast members. I have heard of this being a thing lately, but I’ve never noticed it until this trip. There have been several instances, but here are two examples that have stood out. I did go to guest relations and leave my comment (literally just a comment, no mention of names, places, or times; just saying this is noticed and it’s not typical so just FYI), explaining that I was just frustrated by what I was seeing by cast members. And thankfully I have also been met with many instances of friendly and courteous cast members as I have come to expect, but I’m concerned by what I’ve seen the last 2 days. Anyone else? I’m just curious if other have had experiences as such or if they are seeing the typical “Disney Difference.”

Example 1: Yesterday I was in the gift shop at American Adventure and would have honestly bought something because I loved the fleece blanket in there. But the three cast members in there were gathered around the register talking about Incredibles 2. One turned around for a brief second and looked at me with an annoyed look, and then turned back around to continue the Incredibles 2 conversation.

Example 2: At Rockin Roller Coaster today, I used my fastpass, got to the point were we are put lined up to board, and I requested the back row. I’ve done this a million times and it’s never been a problem. Today the answer I got was “nope go to 8.” I was taken aback by the abrupt answer and rude tone. I understand it is hot. I understand it is crowded, but there is no need for the tone or stern answer. Was I fine in 8? Yes. I was. But it would have been better if he would have been more polite about it.

Last edited:
I am here for 4 days. I am a well seasoned Disney visitor throughout my life and this trip has a certain distinction for rude/inattentive cast members. I have heard of this being a thing lately, but I’ve never noticed it until this trip. There have been several instances, but here are two examples that have stood out. I did go to guest relations and leave my comment, explaining that I was just frustrated by what I was seeing by cast members. And thankfully I have also been met with many instances of friendly and courteous cast members as I have come to expect, but I’m concerned by what I’ve seen the last 2 days. Anyone else?

Example 1: Yesterday I was in the gift shop at American Adventure and would have honestly bought something because I loved the fleece blanket in there. But the three cast members in there were gathered around the register talking about Incredibles 2. One turned around for a brief second and looked at me with an annoyed look, and then turned back around to continue the Incredibles 2 conversation.

Example 2: At Rockin Roller Coaster today, I used my fastpass, got to the point were we are put lined up to board, and I requested the back row. I’ve done this a million times and it’s never been a problem. Today the answer I got was “nope go to 8.” I was taken aback by the abrupt answer and rude tone. I understand it is hot. I understand it is crowded, but there is no need for the tone or stern answer. Was I fine in 8? Yes. I was. But it would have been better if he would have been more polite about it.
Sorry this is happening to you. Hope some magical moments still make their way through for you!

I don't know seems a bit entitled. Keep in mind these are low paid workers and humans, trying to get them in trouble for not bending over for you is really extra.

I don't know seems a bit entitled. Keep in mind these are low paid workers and humans, trying to get them in trouble for not bending over for you is really extra.

I used to be one. We have high expectations for guest interaction. Ignoring guests and leaning on counters was always a big no no and would lead to a reprimand or at least being spoken to. Speaking to guests in a respectful tone was always mandatory. Disney has always been known for their extraordinary guest service and it seems to be lost on some (not all) cast members.

And I wasn’t trying to get anyone it trouble. I gave no names, times, etc. I simply left the comment that cast and guest interactions aren’t what they have been in the past and it’s a shame.

Sorry, but where in the OP's post did they say they tried to get CM's to do anything but their jobs, and to be courteous, and perform customer service? I saw no "extra" requests, or behavior in the stories related, and poster also says they are a long time Disney visitor, so they know what to expect (although asking somebody in the SERVICE industry to perform customer SERVICE in a courteous manner should NOT be unique to Disney, for sure. I know - being an almost 30-year public SERVANT!), and also acknowledged great treatment (as expected) by other CM's during that same period of time. Poster also even goes so far as to acknowledge possible stressors, such as heat and crowds (very generous, IMHO).

So - did I miss the "extra" or "entitled" part? Or the part where the poster asked a CM to "bend over" as you said? Or even that he/she was trying to get them into trouble, or were they were just here, sharing with us what THEY are going through there, and their disappointment?

ETA: Mea culpa. I did see where OP went to Guest Relations to leave a frustrated comment. I see nothing wrong with that. If I had been less than helpful and courteous to somebody on my job, or ignored a guest because I was having a conversation with co-workers, I would expect nothing less.

Last edited:
Nope. You had a few negative experiences with cast members and you're focusing on that vs the hundreds you have interacted with who have given you a positive experience. I'm not saying that their behavior is acceptable, but I don't think it's worth complaining to guest relations.

Personally, I've seen the opposite over the past two trips. I went over Thanksgiving break last year and was expecting to be met with grumpy, overworked, tired CMs, and instead, everyone I encountered-- especially at DHS and DAK-- was extremely friendly and helpful despite the crazy crowds and holiday hours. I had a few run-ins with bad CMs while I was down there in 2016 over the course of 5 months, but all three of my vacations since then have had nothing but great CM experiences.

On the other hand, I personally don't think I would have blinked at either of these instances you described, so my expectations are probably a lot lower. That's just me, but I respect the fact that you don't feel like the level of service you received met your own expectations.

Personally, I've seen the opposite over the past two trips. I went over Thanksgiving break last year and was expecting to be met with grumpy, overworked, tired CMs, and instead, everyone I encountered-- especially at DHS and DAK-- was extremely friendly and helpful despite the crazy crowds and holiday hours. I had a few run-ins with bad CMs while I was down there in 2016 over the course of 5 months, but all three of my vacations since then have had nothing but great CM experiences.

On the other hand, I personally don't think I would have blinked at either of these instances you described, so my expectations are probably a lot lower. That's just me, but I respect the fact that you don't feel like the level of service you received met your own expectations.

I am really happy to hear that! This is the first time I’ve experienced anything less that “the Disney Difference” so it was just a bit of a shock.

It’s a great trip otherwise though, so no real problem, I was more just curious if others had noticed a difference. So I’m glad to read that it’s an exception to the norm.

Nope. You had a few negative experiences with cast members and you're focusing on that vs the hundreds you have interacted with who have given you a positive experience. I'm not saying that their behavior is acceptable, but I don't think it's worth complaining to guest relations.

It wasn’t an actual complaint, you can just leave a comment. And I didn’t make mention of any names or times or anything. Just a small comment of noticing. The only time I make an actual mention of something to guest relations is when I’m leaving a compliment, which I did today. And it’s definitely not the focus of the trip, just something I noticed and wondered about. I just get curious and ask questions, it’s just what I do. Based on other comments, I’m happy to see it’s an exception and not the norm.

I believe completely that a wholehearted effort should be expected regarding customer service within the resorts/parks.

My definition of customer service varies depending on the scenario and location, but when I read (and try to visualize) that 3 CM's are gathered at a register I tend to look at it as a potential fail. The potential is that I don't know how long the conversation was and was there a "relevant" conversation prior to it that led into that particular discussion. On the other hand, the lead or managing CM is supposed to be able to create and foster an environment of a highly situational customer service experience (obviously, this is my opinion) and limit/discourage an excessive length or concentrated quantity of CM's in a highly visible role such as this scenario.

With this being said, my recent dining experience at the Contemporary Resort far exceeded my general definition of customer service and reminded me that there are CM Managers that have trained their staff brilliantly.

So while I am sorry the experience was tainted, I lean towards agreement that making your displeasure known is a right of any guest.

I don't get entitled from that, in example 1 they were going to buy a blanket but the CMs were too busy socializing, sale lost.
In example 2, if the CM responded with, I'm sorry due to the current volume I can't honor your request, compared to nope go to 8, we wouldn't even be discussing this.
Also, there was no mentions of names or locations at guest relations per the post, just the experiences that occurred.

I don't care if you make $10 or $100 an hour, it doesn't give you the right to treatment someone like that. Then again between today's culture and social media, the Golden Rule is pretty much extinct.

Not here. As a matter of fact, when we were there a couple weeks ago, we had tons of great interactions with CM's. Now, did every CM go above and beyond to give me and my family a magical experience? No, of course not. But several definitely did.

I recall one young man who was a CM at Kali River Rapids who, despite my being very grumpy (I stood in line for almost 2 hours when the posted time was 45 minutes and was NOT happy), was very patient in answering my questions and dealing with my bad attitude. The way he handled the situation actually put me back in a good mood! It may not sound like much but at the time it was a big deal. He could have totally blown me off, and I would have deserved it. But he didn't.

We had a very nice mousekeeper at OKW, great service from the staff at that resort, great servers at the restaurants we visited, I had a very nice CM help me with my AP's at guest relations in DS, awesome Minnie Van drivers, a really funny Magical Express driver who brought us in from the airport at 2 in the morning (thanks American Airlines), really cool pros at the golf courses I played...maybe we were lucky but that's not unusual for us on our Disney vacations.

On trips to both coasts I have been on the lookout for these less-than-stellar CM's and have yet to cross paths with one. Some are better than others, but there was certainly nothing I would complain about. I hate to hear stories of others who have had difficulties with CM's, and I hope that it doesn't color your overall impressions or possibly cause you to overlook the CM's who are honestly trying to make your stay special. Because there are a lot of them out there. :) :) :)

I haven't ever had to deal with unpleasant CM's....been going almost yearly since 1977. However it MIGHT be because I practically fart pixie dust at WDW. I'm like a walking commercial with a huge Cheshire Cat grin who just lavishes pleases and thank yous on every CM I come across. I'm sure I must have had a curt response at some point, but I probably couldn't hear it through the pixie dust fart cloud enveloping me.

I don’t consider this bending over backwards? I think any person in customer service (outside of disney even getting paid 7.25 and hour, trust me I’ve been there) should at least try to do their job and not stand around talking while customers are in the store or are asking for a simple favor. You can say no but at least be polite about it. Treat people the way you want to be treated :)

I'm not saying that their behavior is acceptable, but I don't think it's worth complaining to guest relations.
We have a sign at my office that says, "Nothing changes if nothing changes". If you don't call out bad behavior, it keeps happening. Management can't be everywhere all the time and witness every guest interaction. I totally support sending cast compliments when a CM does a great job, and I do that regularly, but I also believe in reporting those times when an experience is less than magical. I don't do it because I want to see anyone get in trouble. I do it because I know they can do better than that and they can't fix problems that aren't brought to their attention.

Have I seen an increase in less than stellar customer service? Absolutely. I've been going to WDW since 1978. The service today isn't nearly as good overall as the service 20 or 30 years ago. Some of that is due to overcrowding but some is also due to training cutbacks. Traditions, the course new CMs take, is much shorter than it used to be, for example.

Need a personal experience as an example? We were in the Beauty and the Beast gift shop next to Gaston's Tavern (I can never remember the actual name of that store). The whole time we were in there, the 3 CMs were behind the counter having an easily heard conversation with one of them telling all the details (ALL the details) of her recent foot surgery. It was wildly inappropriate. I'd expect it as the local Six Flags park. I expect far better at Disney World.

When you have a great experience, let them know. But when you have a not so great experience, also let them know. If all they ever get is positive feedback, they will think everything is just fine.

I don't think expecting to be treated with respect is entitled. Yes, the wages are low, but they are being paid to WORK, not chat about a movie and acting bothered when customers are in the store. Also, on the ride, the OP could have been told "Sorry, there are too many people riding to let you pick your row" instead of 'Nope'. I worked in retail for years and knew that in retail, being courteous is part of the job (well, it should be), and the same thing was always the norm for Disney. Yes, it's hot and uncomfortable in the summer and yes, the parks are crowded. But, kindness was always what was expected from the workers. Disney also charges a lot of money for the experience of going to their parks, if it were me, I would hope that I'd encounter smiles and nice staff as a Guest after forking out thousands of dollars on a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!