Lack of crowds and Disney's response

On the larger topic, I think part of the issue may be in that Disneyland was the wrong place for this project. I think they got over-excited and wanted to build so much Star Wars, but I'm not sure the Disneyland audience likes it all that much. They want "their park" and are often a bit resistant to change. I wonder of the SW:GE at WDW will do much better and be much more popular. Look at Avatar - who at all (besides me) cared at all about that franchise? Still, it's popular as heck there! I think a lot of people on the East Coast are probably waiting for that WDW version to open. I know a lot of SW fans who don't even realize that SW is at Disneyland and not WDW! DL is not as much of a travel draw, and blocking out the locals, well, that's going to reduce crowds.

That is where they want to go but why have Rey there ?
She doesn't fit in the time line unless she doesn't age ...which hasn't been her story so far.
Same thing for Kylo..as far as what we know they are mortal.
And Luke is still alive at the same time as Rey and Kylo..so the time line is a bit off for SWGE.
Galaxy's Edge is set in between The Last Jedi and Rise of the Skywalker. So Rey and Kylo very much fit in the timeline.

On the larger topic, I think part of the issue may be in that Disneyland was the wrong place for this project. I think they got over-excited and wanted to build so much Star Wars, but I'm not sure the Disneyland audience likes it all that much. They want "their park" and are often a bit resistant to change. I wonder of the SW:GE at WDW will do much better and be much more popular. Look at Avatar - who at all (besides me) cared at all about that franchise? Still, it's popular as heck there! I think a lot of people on the East Coast are probably waiting for that WDW version to open. I know a lot of SW fans who don't even realize that SW is at Disneyland and not WDW! DL is not as much of a travel draw, and blocking out the locals, well, that's going to reduce crowds.
I think that's a part where Disney is getting 'lazy' and is copying themselves all over the world. When something is a success in one Disney park, let's put it in another park and copy the success. Like Toy Story land being copied into Hong Kong and Shanghai after Paris. Ratatouille coming to Epcot. And I truly wonder if Ratatouille is such a good ride, or if it's so popular because the park it is in doesn't have many rides. I think it can work for some rides, like Peter Pan, like Pirates of the Caribbean which are popular everywhere, but some things do not fit in other surroundings. I cannot see Avatar working in Paris or Tokyo, I think in Shanghai and Hong Kong, in the Adventureland it might work. It seems to fit in the park they have.

I think for SWGE, it might have fitted better in DCA, themewise, near Hollywoodland, and focus there on live-action movies. With the lounges and all, to me it that part feels more geared towards adults. SWGE feels out of place in Disneyland Park.

Last edited:
I think that's a part where Disney is getting 'lazy' and is copying themselves all over the world. When something is a success in another Disney park, let's put it in another park and copy the success. Like Toy Story land being copied into Hong Kong and Shanghai after Paris. Ratatouille coming to Epcot. And I truly wonder if Ratatouille is such a good ride, or if it's so popular because the park it is in doesn't have many rides. I think it can work for some rides, like Peter Pan, like Pirates of the Caribbean which are popular everywhere, but some things do not fit in other surroundings. I cannot see Avatar working in Paris or Tokyo, I think in Shanghai and Hong Kong, in the Adventureland it might work. It seems to fit in the park they have.

I think for SWGE, it might have fitted better in DCA, themewise, near Hollywoodland, and focus there on live-action movies. With the lounges and all, to me it that part feels more geared towards adults. SWGE feels out of place in Disneyland Park.

Well, it's one thing to clone certain rides, when they fit. I think Ratatouille should be a nice fit for Epcot, and itf it's anything like Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo (I believe it is) then it should be very good. I like that there are some similarities, but also having unique stuff is important. Avatar is pretty popular in Japan, however it wouldn't fit into either of their parks as a "land" unto itself.

I don't know that I'd chalk it up to "laziness" per se, but I think they see things that are popular and figure they will work (or try to make them work). The money may have something to do with it too, but that's coming from the higher-ups, not WDI.

Im a HUGE star wars fan. Huge disney fan. I live close to the parks and have been to galaxys edge twice. Once during the reservation period and once last weekend.
I got BORED. I dont feel like i need to go back. I do feel like it for pandora. I do feel like that for hogsmeade.
I dont feel like i lived my starwars dreams. Seeing the falcon was amazing and i sat there and stared at it for a long time. Being in the falcon and the cockpit also was amazing. But thats it.
Ive always wanted to meet luke and han , yoda, id geek out at that.
Also, if they wouldve played Leias theme as the falcon is revealed, that would make it such an emotionaly connected experience.
I know its a new land but it would have been a constant must do if they had made places from the classics i new and loved.
This is why im not adding to the crowds. Its nice to visit and see while im at disneyland, but its not a reason to make a trip there for.
Yep, yep. Got it. Keep the crowds scared away so we can enjoy it more ourselves. Thx!

But for some, the classics that they knew and loved were the Prequels or may even be the new Trilogy. There are many people that love those movies too. It looks to me like they've tried to integrate a lot of that, though I do feel like they may have been to slavish to "story" in trying to make it feel real. There is no reason they can't mix and match so to speak as far as characters, etc., though personally I think the lack of music is the biggest issue.
Yes, the music issue I think is huge part of the problem. As someone else on here said, music is such an integral part of the enjoyment of Disney parks. Without it, I imagine it just feels dead. Guests might not even realize what's wrong, only that they aren't enjoying themselves and want to go elsewhere.

Yes, the music issue I think is huge part of the problem. As someone else on here said, music is such an integral part of the enjoyment of Disney parks. Without it, I imagine it just feels dead. Guests might not even realize what's wrong, only that they aren't enjoying themselves and want to go elsewhere.
Music sets the mood. I bought a CD of Universal’s Islands of Adventure songs years ago. Some things have changed, but when I listen to it I can picture the location where it played. Music makes the connection and triggers emotions.

Honestly, on my first visit, I didnt notice the lack of music until we left and I heard the transition music on Big Thunder Trail. The sounds of a bustling space port keeps the area feeling alive. (and there IS some music. Over in the Ronto Roasters area, there is a radio playing. The bathrooms have music as well. Both sources are in universe though and make sense.)

Exactly. I haven't been yet, but IF we did a lightsaber, it would only be ONE and DH would get to build it. I would want to go with him but I have no idea what my kids would do while we go off building a lightsaber for a couple hours. They range in age between 10-16 and I'm comfortable with them going off together, I'm just not sure they would would want to stay in the land even though they all like Star Wars. The food does not sound good for them and we don't typically spend a lot of money in stores.
It will not take a couple of hours to build the light saber. You will have a return time, and you won't wait much past it. The experience is about 15 minutes I think (my DH and DDs did it during the reservation period, and I was still in Oga's since only 2 could watch while 1 person built, so I don't know the exact length of time). So your kids won't have to entertain themselves for long, and it sounds like they are the age that they can do that either in SWGE or elsewhere in the park without a problem. I agree that we just did one light saber, and my DH and DDs all built it together, as it was just too expensive to do otherwise. The food is a little weird to me, so I get what you are saying there!

I would love more music in SWGE. I think it could be done well and still keep with the land premise. I think of how I feel walking into Adventureland... the music is such a huge part of my emotional attachment to that land! I can’t imagine what it would be without music. Adventureland is supposed to be in the middle of the jungle but the music is well done and feels just right to me.

Rumor has the next expansion phase for both SWGE would be a sit down restaurant. There is apparently also still some room at DLR. With the popularity of Oga’s they’re probably regretting putting that on the back burner...
I feel like the draw of Oga's for us, and maybe others, is that DH would like to have a beer to balance out the DLR craziness and family vacation time (and I enjoyed my cocktails there as well!)! If the TS restaurant that they build also serves alcohol, I think it will be a success. If it does not, it will have to count on really good theming and the menu. The current CS restaurants in SWGE have the theme down, but the food is a little odd for my taste.

Ratatouille coming to Epcot. And I truly wonder if Ratatouille is such a good ride, or if it's so popular because the park it is in doesn't have many rides.

I’ve been on the Ratatouille ride at DLP. Not a fan. But I can see how it would fit in quite nicely in France pavilion in Epcot. I’m actually looking forward to giving it another try.

You have a point with SWGE fitting into DCA more than DL. I haven’t been yet, but from an outside perspective you’re on point with how it would flow better at DCA. I think HS is the right fit for WDW.

No they should NOT as that does not fit the timeline or the planet Batuu. Again SWGE Batuu planet is set AFTER The Last Jedi so anything from the OG trilogy does not belong

Well, it's not like that song wouldn't still exist. It might even be considered a classic! I'm more of a Max Rebo Band type (in universe they were actually famous). The thing is, they do need to mix in a little of the previous eras, and a song would be the perfect way to do it, though they need to mix it with others.

No they should NOT as that does not fit the timeline or the planet Batuu. Again SWGE Batuu planet is set AFTER The Last Jedi so anything from the OG trilogy does not belong

I know you are extremely adamant about the timeline fitting. I can understand, as I get annoyed when I watch time period shows (80’s in particular) that don’t get it right. (EX: The Goldberg’s tv show putting early 80’s events with late 80’s music and fashion. No one was wearing parachute pants in 1988!)
However, I learned to just accept it and move on. Does it make a huge difference anyway? No, it’s meant to entertain!

And SWGE is a land meant to entertain!! Yes, diehard fans will be irritated by things that don’t perfectly fit. But the vast majority (like me) won’t know and we will like it. I’d want music! That theme song would spark excitement coming into the land for me. Seeing beloved original characters would also make me happy. As I am not a huge fan I wouldn’t know the differences.

Does it fit? On some level yes because it is part of SW. It’s not a perfect seemless fit, but rarely anything is. And if more people will visit to enjoy the land with music and original characters, I don’t see the huge harm. (Again, coming from someone with very little SW knowledge.)

I am sure I’m going to get flamed, but I know when I visit I’ll notice the lack of music and original characters.

Just my 2cents. Nobody is right or wrong. Just voicing the non SW mega fan opinion.

Again SWGE Batuu planet is set AFTER The Last Jedi so anything from the OG trilogy does not belong

And that is part of the reason nobody is going there. The casual fan (vast majority) couldn't care less about any of that. Recreating some place doesn't mean a thing if people don't enjoy going there. Its a theme park, its suppose to be FUN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter