Kraft Cheese won't melt???????

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I buy Kraft Deli Deluxe American Singles...
The past two times, it just won't even melt.
It is like it is not even dairy... like some fake artificial product.

I have used this cheese for years...
Not too long ago I made some quick Mac-n-Cheese that was so good.

The first time I had this problem, I was making something that I have not made in a long time. I thought... 'what did I do????' I couldn't figure it out.

Then, a couple nights ago, it happened AGAIN!!!! I was making something for a pot-luck!!! Ugggghhhh!!!

Is anyone else seeing this kind of problem with Kraft Cheese???

I am like :confused:

Kraft singles ARE a fake, artificial product. They're more oil than milk. That's why they have to call them "singles" instead of cheese. Or sometimes "cheese food" (which is like the difference between chocolate milk and "chocolate drink"). They are not cheese. Similarly, pre-shredded cheese is covered with a paper-cellulos product to keep it in "shreds", so it doesn't melt like cheese that comes in blocks.

I'm not over-the-top about most processed foods, but I will not buy that fake cheese stuff.

Like the previous poster said it is not cheese and it is artificial made from a very little amount of milk and mostly oil. You generally aren't going to be able to melt it like real cheese, especially if you are trying to make a cheese sauce for something like mac and cheese.

I know it is fake cheese but that's what I grew up eating. Melts over hot macaroni just fine.....

I love how on the package it says something like "cheese food" on the kraft cheese!

The first time I had this problem, I was making something that I have not made in a long time. I thought... 'what did I do????' I couldn't figure it out.

Then, a couple nights ago, it happened AGAIN!!!! I was making something for a pot-luck!!! Ugggghhhh!!!

I agree with the PPs. If you melt it over, let's say broccoli, in a bowl, you'll find a puddle of water at the bottom. It's really oil and "stuff".

Like the previous poster said it is not cheese and it is artificial made from a very little amount of milk and mostly oil. You generally aren't going to be able to melt it like real cheese, especially if you are trying to make a cheese sauce for something like mac and cheese.

Eeewwww yes indeed it is super fake. Gross...there are so many other healthier & better alternatives. :sick:

While I don't buy the Kraft Deluxe, I always have a package of Kraft Singles in the fridge as sometimes I just want that orange cheesey tasting "fake" cheese. It's melted on a hot sandwich or over an omelet same as always.

I think the point here is not whether is it real cheese or not. The issue is it worked for years and all of a sudden it doesn't work. I have no idea why it stopped working but obviously they changed something.

It's not just Kraft, Borden does the same. I buy great value or even Aldi's and it melts great and is creamy

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards

OP: Make sure you did not get the low fat or FF kind. Those don't melt.

Otherwise-check the date? Maybe your cheese is bad?

I've always melted Kraft singles for grilled cheese-my favorite kind!!

OP: Make sure you did not get the low fat or FF kind. Those don't melt.

Otherwise-check the date? Maybe your cheese is bad?

I've always melted Kraft singles for grilled cheese-my favorite kind!!

:thumbsup2 ::yes:: Love me a Kraft singles grilled cheese :)

I don't buy the regular cheaper fakey singles...
Some of you here may know that I, and my husband, are WAY to picky about what we put in our bodies, or feed our child, to buy anything that nasty...

I buy the Deli Deluxe... have for years... And it has always been fine.

PS: any creamy american cheese is 'processed'... by nature.
That doesn't mean it is artificial or fake.

Had just opened the one package, and bought another as I knew I would use a lot of cheese for that pot-luck.

I think BOTH packages are doing this.

One would hope for better from a company like KRAFT!!!

:sad2:

Take them back to the store. At least the one that is left.
Maybe the whole lot they have is bad?

Call the Kraft number on the package and tell them about it.

I think the point here is not whether is it real cheese or not. The issue is it worked for years and all of a sudden it doesn't work. I have no idea why it stopped working but obviously they changed something.

Yes they did. I don't know the exact date - I read about it in Pandora's Lunchbox.

It used to be a processed cheese food, but now the packaging says processed cheese product. They actually made the change to the product before they changed the wording on their packaging. Kraft tried to get away without telling anyone, but the FDA did find out and they either had to change their recipe back or stop calling their singles food. So they stopped calling them food.

Yes they did. I don't know the exact date - I read about it in Pandora's Lunchbox.

It used to be a processed cheese food, but now the packaging says processed cheese product. They actually made the change to the product before they changed the wording on their packaging. Kraft tried to get away without telling anyone, but the FDA did find out and they either had to change their recipe back or stop calling their singles food. So they stopped calling them food.

This was back in the 90's and they didn't have to stop calling it food, they had to stop saying it had as much nutrients as 5oz of milk in each slice.

I don't buy the regular cheaper fakey singles...
Some of you here may know that I, and my husband, are WAY to picky about what we put in our bodies, or feed our child, to buy anything that nasty...

I buy the Deli Deluxe... have for years... And it has always been fine.

PS: any creamy american cheese is 'processed'... by nature.
That doesn't mean it is artificial or fake.

Had just opened the one package, and bought another as I knew I would use a lot of cheese for that pot-luck.

I think BOTH packages are doing this.

One would hope for better from a company like KRAFT!!!

:sad2:

Actually the cheaper fake singles may actually be cheese 'food' and not cheese 'product' like Kraft. Cheese 'product' is cheaper to make since they use milk protein concentrate which does not allow them to be classified as processed cheese food by the FDA.

This was back in the 90's and they didn't have to stop calling it food, they had to stop saying it had as much nutrients as 5oz of milk in each slice.

Here is the 2002 letter from the FDA telling Kraft to change their recipe back to have their stuff qualify as cheese 'food.'

Instead of changing their recipe back, they decided it was easier to stop calling it 'food' and call it 'product' instead.

Man, was this example from back in the 90's....
Because I really believe that something like this is happening again. :sad2:
Which is why I posted here.

If anybody has a link to any current info or complaints, I would love to see them!

I threw away the outer wrapper and have the cheese in a zip-lock storage bag... But, I am going to double check the wrappers at the stores next time I go shopping.

I tried Kraft Singles on a sandwich one time- felt sick the rest of the day after eating it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter