Kona Cafe reopening reviews please.

My review...
We had 5.10 resie. Arrived to Poly around 4.45. Did check in on phone and went to Tambu for a beer. Got texted to see podium around 5.06. Place looks much better and has a little division from the walkway (not so mall food court feeling). Could be even more divided but will take this.

I got the new margarita and it was really good. Not your mix marg. Way better. DH got Hai Alai. We got the potstickers (these are all made like a grilled cheese but you are supposed to flip them and they then divide). They were as yummy as usual.

We each got sushi for dinner. I got the lolly one with soft shell crab (MD girl here). It was very good. The hubs got the surf and turf sushi which also was yummy. Bill with 10% discount was $100 before tip. Eek. Mary, our server (could have been Maria), was super attentive and quick.

Didn't get dessert because I really wanted to go to GF and get my drink at Enchanted Rose. DH was bummed. And irritated to go to GF but I vetoed him.

Got to GF and had to wait a good bit to get seated and order and get our 1 drink there. Then back on monorail amidst heavy traffic at this point. DH is still grumpy we waisted so much time for me to get 1 drink (and pics of the gingerbread house). But o am happy. We are still in car heading home to our place off 192.

Will add pics once we get home...almost there. But need tablet and Imgur....

Last edited:
Considering an ADR at Kona so I can watch the MK fireworks from the Poly beach, but the reviews don't sound encouraging. Sort of ho-hum, it was OK but not great is what I am hearing. We'll see, but if I go, I'll report back.
Gotta go get on a plane: I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD THIS MORNING!!
Have a great trip! Dont forget the water pageant from the beach! Also why not eat at Captain Cooks!

Dang. I’m sad they removed the duck fried rice. That was my absolute favorite!
I wanted to try that this trip. Looks like I missed my chance... unless anyone wants to ask when they are there. Kona was known to have secret menu items in the past.

We had dinner there earlier this week and were disappointed. I got the Polly Lolly Roll and DH got a poke bowl. The tempura with my roll was mushy which was off-putting. DHs poke bowl was nothing special - felt like it was missing a lot of veggies.

Going tonight at 5 and will post my review after. Video above (1st one) said no good dessert options....uh, wrong. That bread pudding it THE best. She crazy! We will see, though, if we don't get too full for desert tonight. And we also hope to monorail to GF to see gingerbread display...and get a drink at Enchanted bar if it's not too crowded. They have a fave drink of mine there....Lavender Fog.
Considering Kona used to have one of the best crème brûlées on property, and used to have the fun dessert cone with the cotton candy that my kids loved, the dessert selections do seem pretty disappointing. (I’m not a big bread pudding fan.)

I had the tonga toast last week. It was awesome. My wife had never had it before and she was impressed even though she doesn't do sweet breakfasts.
Had you had it before? Cause they have been really schrimping on the bananas.....%90 dough..keep bfast reports coming please.

Had you had it before? Cause they have been really schrimping on the bananas.....%90 dough..keep bfast reports coming please.
Yes, once before. I'd say banana volume was about the same as I remembered. Should have taken pictures.

My wife had the egg platter and I thought the coconut muffin and potatoes were the best parts. Press pot was great. I had never had either of those at Kona.

Kona is my absolute favorite restaurant on property! That sushi looks amazing😋

We ate there Wednesday.
Appetizers - Dh had the soup. He said it was good but the portion looked on the small size to me as the bowl was huge but seemed not too deep. He said the portion was fine.
Sticky wings - We had 6. 3 drumsticks and 3 wings. The sauce was the same as before. They didn’t give you the warm towels as before and our fingers were pretty sticky.
Potstickers - These were served in a round dish and looked like a circular dish all melted together. We had to cut and separate these ourselves. They were ok for me.
We were served 6 rolls and butter. Maybe reminded me of Kings Hawaiian.
I will do entrees next.
Is it similar to Ohana menu items?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter