Know NOTHING about California

Upcoming

Earning My Ears
Our family would love to visit California and the many theme parks associated with it; however, being from the East Coast, we have no idea where to even begin. I have many, many question and could use all the help I could get:
1. Where would be the best place to stay to hit some of the most famous parks: Universal, Knotsberry Farm (or however you spell that), Disneyland, etc...or any other good "tourist" locations?
2. What airport should we fly into?
3. What are "must dos" for visiting Easterners?
4. HELP, HELP, HELP! ANY suggestions, ideas, etc would be appreciated.
5. Trip would most likely be summer 2008 (early June)
Thanks for any assistance...as you can tell...I know NOTHING about California.

Oh yeah...would love to go to a beach to see the Pacific Ocean...have only been to the Atlantic!

I'm from Cali and LOVE IT! Driving is a pain in the butt, but it's CA. I think you would have to fly into LAX (LA) not sure... Have fun, everything is pretty close, and go to the beach too.

:thumbsup2 Hi! we just got home from 9 days in Cali. we flew into San Diego, took the Amtrak up to Anaheim, then took the train back to San Diego and spent a week. we took the ferry over to Coronado, and went to the Del Coronado hotel where they filmed Some Like it Hot. they have a public beach and alot of cool shops and places to eat, we liked it so much we spent 2 days there. we also went to the San Diego zoo, Old Town, and Disneyland while in Anaheim. the train ride was really cool to see all the beaches and houses along the way. if you book business class you get nicer seats and served pop, wine, tea, and they give you a snack pack. have fun planning.

From Ohio you could check airfare rates to LAX, John Wayne airport in Orange County or San Diego if you are also into Seaworld/SD Zoo. Please consider renting a car. Its just more convenient and CA is all about driving. If you are keen on DL, I'd just go ahead and stay in Anaheim or if you wanted you could stay closer to the beach. CA beaches are all public access so there are loads of places to go up and down the coast and lots of public parking facilities- just take your pick. One of my favorites in Balboa Island near Newport Beach. The little town is adorable (cutesy California shopping and eating) and you can either swim in the ocean or along the calm bay. There is also a $3 tiny car ferry that takes you across the bay. Its my mom's favorite place to visit when she comes out here. If you want to see WAH WAH WEE Housewives of Orange County lifestyles of the rich and wannabe rich, then you have to visit Fashion Island in Newport Beach. There are so many things I could say. My only other bit of advice would be to postpone til July if you want more heat. June has a nickname is SoCal and that is "June Gloom" because there is a marine layer much of the morning which keeps temps in the 60s and low 70s. So if you want full-on sun, come in July or else enjoy the June outdoor air-conditioning.

Skybus is now flying Columbus to Burbank, and you could fly home Skybus from San Diego to Columbus (not sure if Columbus airport is convenient for you. Also not sure if Skybus will still be flying in 2008, these budget airlines can come and go). Other airlines might currently be matching skybus fares between these cities so check often.

The earlier in June the better!

I think that flying into one airport and flying home from another is the best plan, renting a car one-way between airports. Much of what you want to see is quite a drive from other attractions and backtracking wastes precious vacation time.

Not sure how old your kids are....might better advise an itinerary with a bit more information.....how many rooms needed, budget, how many days you'd have etc.

Ok... So Cal it is..!! Here's some ideas... :cool1:

Fly into Orange County (SNA) if you can otherwise, LAX.

Skip Knotts.

How old are the kids? Universal is good for families, teens would probably be bored, they would like Magic Mountain!

Disneyland is the best. You should stay at least 3 days.

Huntington Beach and Newport Beach are close enough to drive to for a day!

In Long Beach is a great aquarium and the Queen Mary.

San Diego is a few hours away, Sea World, Zoo, Legoland.

I would join AAA, get some maps and guidebooks and find some places that sound good to you. Post more questions and surf the web for information. Visit official websites for Disneyland, California, Anaheim, Huntington Beach, San Diego.

Thanks for all the help...keep the ideas coming. Son will be 14 and will most likely bring a friend. No budget restrictions. Son LOVES theme parks and knows them all from East to West Coast. We have been to Universal in Orlando two times and it is considered a favorite of his. We love thrill rides, but also enjoy tours/informational vacations. I want a beach for a couple of days to sit and relax. Am I understanding that Huntington or Newport Beach are the closest to most attractions? I also want to do some "Hollywood" stuff just to see how the stars live and to experience the whole "movie star" thing. Again, thanks for all the help. Knowing nothing about an area makes it hard to plan. We would most likely need to go in very early June due to summer sports.

As far as themeparks go, there's:
1. Disneyland
2. Knott's Berry Farm
3. Magic Mountain (6 Flags)
4. Sea World
5. San Diego Zoo - many people probably wouldn't consider this a theme park, though.
6. Universal Studios

Staying in Anaheim is probably a good idea if you're going to ALL of these parks. Disneyland and Knott's are in the area. Magic Mountain, Universal, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and most other LA tourist destinations are anywhere from 30min-120min (depending on traffic) North of Anaheim. San Diego is a little more than an hour South.

If you're not going to San Diego, you may want to consider staying near LAX. I've gotten the Westin LAX on priceline.com for less than $80/night. The area isn't great, so make sure the hotel has onsite parking.

We're tourists who come to California to visit family every few years. My family just rolls their eyes when we do all of the "touristy" thinigs...lol.

We always fly into LAX, but what a pain! Once I flew into the Burbank airport and it was so small, but easy to get out of there. We can never get good rates out of Chicago to anywhere but LAX. We're already spending $270a person for round trip tix (and this is for 7 people), I just can't see spending more to fly into one of the smaller airports.

We ALWAYS spend a day driving through Beverly Hills & Rodeo Drive. We head over to Hollywood and check out the footprints in front of Gromann's Chinese Theater (is it still called that?). We buy a map of the stars' homes and drive around for a couple of hours looking at the homes (I told you, very touristy).

We always go to Huntington Beach, but I think I'd like to try a new beach this year. The waves are always so choppy at Huntington, and it scares me with the kids.

Of course, we spend time in Anaheim at DLR. We have spent anywhere from 1-5 days at DLR. 5 days is really too much for us. But I think we're going to spend 5 days there next month because there will be 7 of us going this time.

We've gone to Universal a couple of times, but 3 of the kids are kinda too young for most of what Universal has, so I think we'll skip it this trip.

There's a pier/beach area that has a small amusement park on it. I think it's Santa Monica Pier???? We've gone there a couple of times. It's kinda fun for the kids, but nothing too special.

My family lives in Pasadena, so we spend alot of time there. The Old Town area of Pasadena (on Colorado) is fun for us to walk around. We're spending about 5 days in Pasadena next month.

I think the driving is just awful in Southern California. It seems it's constantly "rush hour" on the freeways. I won't even drive, my dh does all the driving. But the drivers are alot more friendly in So. Calif. than the drivers in Chicago.

HTH! :)

If you don't mind skipping around at hotels you can always do a few days at DLR and then coe down and stay at the Universal Sheraton and from here you can do Universal studios. The one feature you will love at Universal Hollywood versus the one in Orlando is the backlot tour, this tour is approx 30minutes and takes you through fun "effects" and actual sets used for films like Back to the Future and Psycho. You also might see them actually filming.

From the Universal Sheraton, Highland is two exits up the freeway which drives you past the Hollywood Bowl and to Hollywood Blvd. This corner has a great shopping center that also houses the Kodak theater (where they host the Oscars). From here you can walk to Gromans and more.

If you have the time go see a movie at El Capitan! It's right across the street. It is an original Hollywood theater that has been bought and refurbushied. They show lots of special showings of films usually with displays of props and other fun pieces. Downstairs they have a VERY small Disney Shop with an Ice Cream Parlor inside.

Also check out Rodeo Drive and if you have a funky streak or want some great people watching go check out Johnny Rocket's a great burger place with the style of a 50's dinner (the waiters sing and the juke box on your table is a nickle a song) on Melrose. They have outside seating and is just a great place to sit and enjoy.

One thing I love to do with tourists that everyone always has fun with is go see a TV show taping. Most sitcoms are seasonal but Jay Leno and other talk shows are more often. One thing to watch though is the more popular the guests or show the earlier you should arrive at the taping.

Magic Mountain has the best rides in town. I will be honest the park is not as nicely kept up as other parks. But if you love a fast roller coaster the place really can't be beat. Be ready for the heat though and have good walking shoes the name is a mention to the fact the park is on a mountain so has a lot of ups and downs.

If you want any other suggestions or more details feel free to ask!

ETA: If you really want to see stars homes you can also hire tours and make them do the driving in an air conditioned bus. The most interesting way to see the stars at "Home" is to do the cemetary tours. Hollywood Forever, Hollywood Cemetary and more. It is a very unusual tour. Some tour groups also do a duel tour were they show you homes and take you to the cemetary. It might be too odd for your family, but I have had some people find it very interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter