Knee Brace in Water Parks?

SA mom

DIS Veteran
Does Disney allow you to wear a knee brace on water slides and other attractions? I have an ACL brace I must wear on our upcoming trip. I'm wondering if I will be sidelined. SeaWorld doesn't even allow zippers or metal buttons in their Aquatica park attractions.

I would expect to be told you need to take it off for anything at the water parks where it could get wet. If you can go short periods of time without it, they may let you take it off and hold it on your chest as you go down for the slides.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk damage to the brace by bringing it in the water, anyway, unless you're bringing a back-up. I know those braces are usually pretty rugged, but they can break and could become very uncomfortable while wet, anyway.

Then no . . .

1) WDW will tell you it is for the safety of the equipment (tubes, chutes, etc).
2) The bigger reason is lawsuits and liability. *
. . . some of the rides are "violent", like the chutes
. . . you can get twisted and banged-up
. . . plus, the metal frame could get bent
. . . in those cases, people claim they further injured their problem
. . . it is called "permanent employment for lawyers"

* I pulled a couple of shifts at Typhoon, and was told this during my 5-minute
orientation as a "greeter". We were to also tell guards and monitors to pull
anyone from the water if they had a metal brace/cast/assist.

The brace is made to wear in the water (salt, fresh, and pool), I was just wondering if they wouls let me. I wasn't worried about damage to the brace because it is made for skiing and surfing. I guess I'll be saving seats for a couple of days. It stinks when I'm able to do so much.

Can you purchase (or make) some kind of protective cover for the brace? Thinking that if it's completely covered, and no metal is showing, then perhaps the brace won't be a problem? Just an idea!

There is a neoprene cover available. But, I'm reluctant to shuck out another $50 on a maybe. I'll have to ask my PT if there is something we could rig up like taping or a soft brace. The major concern at this point is hyper extension of the knee.

There is a neoprene cover available. But, I'm reluctant to shuck out another $50 on a maybe. I'll have to ask my PT if there is something we could rig up like taping or a soft brace. The major concern at this point is hyper extension of the knee.

1) You need to call and check this before you buy it.
2) An alert CM will still ask if you have metal under the cover.
3) If so, you will get the "no" statement.

The water parks don't even allow swimsuits with metal buttons, rivets, buckles or exposed zippers, so I think you will be out of luck with your brace. That is the same as at other water parks and is on the WDW water park maps:
http://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/DTA-Domestic/pdf/WDWParkMaps/BBMap.pdf

One of the concerns is scratching the slides and another is the metal getting caught on anything.

My personal feeling is they won't OK it for you to go on waterslides even if it is covered. I think working with the therapist is the best bet. It might be hard to prevent hyper extension with taping or a soft brace, but maybe they would be able to come up with something that will work for the few hours you will be in a water park.

Thanks, everyone. I would prefer not to have to use it. But...if I do, I'll sip cold drinks and make sure the towels don't run off. I have another 5 weeks so a lot could happen.

The other possibility is that if they see you with a brace, even if it has no metal in it, they may not let you on a slide. There is always the possibility that your feet and legs could bang off the side of the slide or in the pool at the end, and they don't want to risk you saying you got injured on the slide even if you were already injured.

And don't forget, every slide requires going up stairs to get there, which can be hard on an injured leg.

I contacted Guest Services and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Guests wearing casts or braces are not permitted to ride the following
attractions:

Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park:

Downhill Double Dipper
Runoff Rapids (Enclosed Slide)
Slush Gusher
Summit Plummet

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park:

Humunga Kowabunga
Storm Slides

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us. Have a magical day and we look forward to your visit in July!

I'm hoping this is good information, because I really want to get on the tubes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter