• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

kiss goodnight confusion

MinniMama

addicted to the mouse
What exactly is the kiss goodnight- I was walking out of the park at 8:00 after a 7:00 closing on Tuesday and Mickey was up by the train saying goodnight and blowing a kiss I thought that was it but then someone said it happens at the castle and the clip they posted was not clear. Was I wrong? Mickey says goodnight every night but is the kiss something else?:confused:

Think color! The castle is kissed with color after Tinkerbell flies. Mickey

The kiss goodnight happens when the park closes. It is very magical indeed! The castle turns all kinds of pretty colors and special music plays near the hub and down Main Street. If you can catch it, it's really great!
Ann

its kind of like what happens at the begining of the fireworks show, the castle will go dark and sparkle, and a narratior will come over the PA at the hub, and the castle with start changing colors with the music.

(note: dont confuse this with the normal color changeing that happens during the night.)

I asked a cast member about the kiss goodnight in April and he had no idea what I was talking about! Then my BF and I realized it was the color change and the narraration.

Funny the only "Kiss Good Night" I have heard of was in reference to Illuminations at Epcot. This was specifically talked about on one of the Travel Channel specials about the parks in Orlando.

This is one of the nice little magical touches, a thing for folks that don't quite want to end their MK day just yet. My wife and I did one trip without the kids last year and this was one of the items we had on our "to do" list. While everyone is headed out of the park and the only thing going on is last minute hectic souvenir hunting in the Emporium, have a seat in the park area in front of Cinderella's Castle and relax. Let the crowd fade away. Enjoy the quiet and subtle ways the cast members are guiding stragglers to Mainstreet. In a while the lights will dim and a brief narration is followed by a neat castle light show and special music. The cast members will not hurry you along, at least not till after the "Kiss Goodnight". And then the transportation system surge will be much less too!

Artemus

"Kiss Goodnight" is a phrase used to describe "going out on a high note". As Jimmybop so correctly noted, the castle starts changing color at dusk. That IS NOT the "Kiss Goodnight."
The kiss is usually an announcement or a closing presentation. At MK, Mickey now comes out to the train station to thank our guests as they leave. Technically, that is the official "Kiss Goodnight," although if the park closes with fireworks, that can be considered a KGN as well. The castle announcement is not done every night, but that is also a KGN.
At Epcot, IllumiNations is considered the Kiss Goodnight, but there is also sometimes an announcement in Future World as the masses are filing out. That too is a KGN.
At Studios, the KGN is an announcement that features the song "A Star is Born" from Hercules.

But the castle simply changing colors is just that: the castle changing colors. Spaceship Earth changes colors starting at dusk, but that is not the KGN.

Hey Safari Steve,
Thanks for setting us all straight. That all makes sense.

great I was so sure that Mickey by the train blowing kisses was the KGN! It was awesome and kept going on and on! My 3 year old can't stop talking about how Mickey woke her up and then kissed her good nighton the same day- truly magical!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter