Kingdom Keepers - How young is too young?

Kwaschitz

Mouseketeer
My son is 7 but is a VERY advanced reader...however just because he *can* read something doesn't mean he *should*.

We bought the first book this week and I haven't had time to read more than the first chapter yet. Is this something that is going to be TOO dark for a 7 year old? His academic advancement makes this very difficult because in some ways he's still VERY 7 so I don't know... Would you let a 7 year old in first grade (what he should be) read the series?

For reference, I've let him read the first Harry Potter, but none of the rest, though he's seen I think the first 3 movies (saw the movies at 4-5, read the book at 5-6).

I've read all 5 of the books and it show a darker side to Disney, I think an advanced 7 year old will loved the adventure more than the darkness will effect his mind. Just space the books out they do get darker but not too much.

Congratulations on your Advanced Reader!

I completely understand your desires to keep the content appropriate. We have struggled with this throughout the kids' school years. And kudos to you for having the foresight to skim the books yourself and get input.

I just finished book 4 of the series. And I have to say that as it went on, there was a bit more violence from the villians in books 2 and 3.

Looking through book one "Disney After Dark" I find a fight scene with pirates and few other scary scenes...made me rethink riding the Small World ride.

I think the biggest issues are the discussion points (1)these are older kids so they have phones and computers to text and socialize (2)they tell lies and disobey their parents (3) sneaking out at night and into the parks...But as long as the lines of communication are open for you and your son, it doesn't matter which book. Look at all the classics that have some of the same "moral" issues. Tom Sawyer, Nancy Drew, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Indian in the Cupboard...

I would generally say age 8-9 (3rd graders), but only you know your child. And I can say I would've allowed my children to read these a bit earlier with us sitting alongside.

We started reading aloud as a family when they were younger and then when the little one came along, we ressurected the habit. So, if you imagine 3 teenagers, 1 toddler, mom, dad, pets and friends...lying on the living room floor listening to a chapter or two every night. We have more of their friends showing up after dinner suddenly.:thumbsup2

I read aloud book 1 and am now reading book 2 with my 8 year old. It isn't scary at all to her and she spooks easily. She has been to Disney 4 times and loves the familiarity of locations in the books. Should be fine for your reader I would think.

Awesome :) Thank you so much!

Is it strange that I worried about these more than HP? I can't run the risk of him being afraid of WDW :rotfl: I think it will probably be ok but I think I will finish reading before handing it over and maybe instead of letting him go with it on his own we'll read together. :)

As an adult, I loved the books, but I must admit Its a Small World will never be the same! lol! We now laugh and look for them to come alive......

Here be spoilers!

Kingdom Keepers is one of those weird cases where the reader must be old enough not to be freaked out by a scene where the main characters almost drown while trapped inside the Winnie the Pooh ride (as an aside, this author really has it out for the most innocuous rides in the park), and yet must be young enough not to roll their eyes out of their head when the author's explanation for everything is, "Holograms!!!"

I... did not enjoy this book very much. That ending. :sad2:

I think the first 3 or 4 are ok, but in the other ones there's a bit of kissing, not too bad, but for a 7 year old...idk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter