• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kindle, Nook or other e-reader?

Nevergrow'nup

<font color=darkorange>Now I am decorated (a littl
I am looking for info on the kindle, etc. Which is the best one for a person who doesn't use a computer? My dad wants to get one for my mom. She will be using it in Florida while I live in RI. We will get her going with it while they are visiting me.
I don't know too much about them except that I have the kindle app for my itouch. I am reading other threads but thought I would ask for specific info while I am looking.

Thanks for all your help!!

I have a Kindle and I love it! The reason I like it so much is that it is not backlit and there is little to no glare when in the sun. Since I do the majority of my reading on beach vacations, it works perfectly for me. When I read my Kindle books on my iPhone, there is considerable glare - I can imagine that the Nook has this glare issue like the iPhone since they are both backlit.

Regarding the need for a computer, it's less necessary when you have the 3G version (about $40 more than the standard WiFi Kindle). It's a cinch to search and order/download books directly to the device. Since I do have a computer at home, I mostly use the WiFi at home to ordering/download books. But it might be difficult/annoying to have to look for free WiFi to get more books.

If they don't have a computer/wifi I would definitely recommend the Kindle 3G version. Once initially set up, it is incredibly easy to use. My mom has one and she is completely computer illiterate and has no problems.

I just recently got a used 2nd gen Kindle on eBay (the new ones out now are 3rd gen), and I ADORE it. I think all of the 2nd gen ones have the built in 3g service, which you don't have to pay monthly for or anything.

My MIL has the first gen Nook, and it's so heavy! My FIL recently got the new non-color e-ink Nook (the "Simple Touch" or something?), and I did like that one. It uses the e-ink technology like the Kindle, but is a touchscreen, which is nice and intuitive. It was also nice and light/thin. I only opted for the Kindle brand because I could buy it used (the Nook that I like just recently came out and was a bit out of my price range either way), and also because I do Swagbucks to earn Amazon gift cards, meaning I can buy ebooks for a Kindle basically for free.

Right now I think the best deal is the $139 Kindle Special Offers with free 3g.

If you went with the new nook, they don't offer a 3G model. She wouldn't necessarily have to use a computer but she would need a Wi-Fi network.

I would stick with the Kindle for one important reason- no touch screen.

In this case, NOT having a touch screen is important because every person I have ever met who is not used to technology has an issue with a touch screen.

Touch screens can be very frustrating for people who are not used to them.

Besides, hands down I love my Kindle.

If you get the 3g version of the Kindle, you can add/delete books from your computer in RI easily and have them magically appear/disappear on the Kindle in FL- honestly that's what I would do. Save everyone the hassle and agitation :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter