Kids Wristbands for Kids Clubs

@bbel used to be a kids club worker on DCL. Perhaps she knows the answer. My uneducated guess is the re-used ones are sanitized and THAT is probably what they were being thrown in.

At least back in the day, one YAC would be scheduled (for about 5 hours) to dishwash all the returned bands (all hundreds of them), and check they looked decent, ready to reuse the next morning.

At least back in the day, one YAC would be scheduled (for about 5 hours) to dishwash all the returned bands (all hundreds of them), and check they looked decent, ready to reuse the next morning.

Thanks! That is what I figured happened.

Question: do kids have to get the bands locked? My kids usually prefer to sleep and shower without their magic bands on when we’re at WDW. We have Bitbelts that we use to keep our magic bands on - maybe I could bring those for the kids to keep their kids club bands from falling off?

I'm surprised by this. The bands my kids have gotten at check-in all appear brand new, as in, they even have to tear away the "extra" bit that makes it a larger band. I thought maybe the inside piece (the "medallion") gets reused but I'm so surprised to hear that the bands themselves are (or were). I didn't know that "extra" part could be re-attached.

Question: do kids have to get the bands locked? My kids usually prefer to sleep and shower without their magic bands on when we’re at WDW. We have Bitbelts that we use to keep our magic bands on - maybe I could bring those for the kids to keep their kids club bands from falling off?

Yes, when they are in the clubs they need to have a lock on - but the staff will be happy to cut the lock off for you each time the kids leave the clubs and then give you a new lock the next time they are there.

Yes, when they are in the clubs they need to have a lock on - but the staff will be happy to cut the lock off for you each time the kids leave the clubs and then give you a new lock the next time they are there.
Yep. They have to have the locks, unless they're 3, then they don't get one. The locks are colour coded to tell the counsellors specific information (special needs, allergies etc). That's what we were told when my daughter got hers cut off the first night because she hated it.

I'm surprised by this. The bands my kids have gotten at check-in all appear brand new, as in, they even have to tear away the "extra" bit that makes it a larger band. I thought maybe the inside piece (the "medallion") gets reused but I'm so surprised to hear that the bands themselves are (or were). I didn't know that "extra" part could be re-attached.

A lot of the bands were new. A lot couldn't be reused, they discolor from suncream and other things or just get scratched. If a kids band had to get replaced mid cruise it was usually not a brand new one because all the new ones for that cruise were probably used on the first day or so.
There's a number of kids who dont need the extra bit taking off too, so just by it being removed didnt always guarantee it was brand new.

We sailed the Wonder in Nov and the Magic in March, it was a smaller Magic band in that the “extra” gray length wasn’t even there to begin with.

Probably a reused band then and not a new one....they all automatically come with the extra bit on.

I had no idea they locked the oceaneer club bands. Does anyone have a photo of what they look like? I guess because the kids can easily remove and lose them. I believe it’s $13 to purchase it as a souvenir otherwise you have to return it before you disembark.

I don’t have a pic but the lock is like a button with a zip strap that goes through it and is snipped off at the end.

I had no idea they locked the oceaneer club bands. Does anyone have a photo of what they look like? I guess because the kids can easily remove and lose them. I believe it’s $13 to purchase it as a souvenir otherwise you have to return it before you disembark.
This picture shows the lock before going on the band. Its like a zip tie with a Mickey head
1559876708546.png
These show just the lock
1559876788381.png
The grey piece on the left is the lock
1559876766048.png

I know this is an old post but I wanted to know the answer to this question. Our DD (4 years old) has sensory issues and a really small wrist. They made an exception and put the band on her shoe (it went through the back loop of her Billy shoes and they locked it). During drop off we took the shoe off and scanned it. The first time we had to wait for the manager to verify the exception (took extra 10+ mins).

https://billyfootwear.com/products/silver-rainbow-billy-classic-lace-high-tops

E3B24F4D-21F1-410F-A454-B1F32846E382.jpeg

Last edited:
On the Wish last summer they were giving both the bands and locks out a kids club open house - they said there was some sort of problem and that’s why they hadn’t been able to give bands at check-in. Made for a huge line and kind of a disorganized mess and they ended up telling people they needed to come back “later” and they would just handle it when you wanted to actually check a kid in, which made for very long lines. My kid had a magic band plus, so we didn’t need to get a band (saved us a line!) but I saw the little locks they were giving out. However, it kept falling off, even on the smallest setting, so I asked if we could have a lock for it and they refused, saying the locks were only for “their” bands and only for the kids 5 and under (she was 7) but then every time I’d go pick her up they kept lecturing me about how she kept losing her band because it would fall off while she was playing. She complained about it too. I asked for one of their bands so she could have the lock and they said no because she had a magic band so she needed to use that. I asked what they wanted me to do about it, since they wouldn’t give me a lock for her band and they just stared at me, then one woman told me I could probably find locks on Amazon or Etsy “for next time.” It was only a 3 day cruise and we knew we weren’t using the club much on day 3 so I just dropped it there, but it was a disappointing experience.

On the Wish last summer they were giving both the bands and locks out a kids club open house - they said there was some sort of problem and that’s why they hadn’t been able to give bands at check-in. Made for a huge line and kind of a disorganized mess and they ended up telling people they needed to come back “later” and they would just handle it when you wanted to actually check a kid in, which made for very long lines. My kid had a magic band plus, so we didn’t need to get a band (saved us a line!) but I saw the little locks they were giving out. However, it kept falling off, even on the smallest setting, so I asked if we could have a lock for it and they refused, saying the locks were only for “their” bands and only for the kids 5 and under (she was 7) but then every time I’d go pick her up they kept lecturing me about how she kept losing her band because it would fall off while she was playing. She complained about it too. I asked for one of their bands so she could have the lock and they said no because she had a magic band so she needed to use that. I asked what they wanted me to do about it, since they wouldn’t give me a lock for her band and they just stared at me, then one woman told me I could probably find locks on Amazon or Etsy “for next time.” It was only a 3 day cruise and we knew we weren’t using the club much on day 3 so I just dropped it there, but it was a disappointing experience.
We just got off the Fantasy Sat and my DS7 and DD4 (band on her shoe) both had their bands locked. It was uncomfortable but our son didn’t complain. Sunscreen was hard to put around it as well.

For our WDW MB+ I use neon rubber bands and slide them over. I’ve caught our son with his band slightly open multiple times but the elastic bands still keep them from
falling off and are not bulky or irritating (our MB magic sliders don’t fit and are too loose).

As far as I was aware, the Counselors can put the lock onto the MB+ as well and just cut it off when the child leaves so it can be charged

Well they must have changed things, because when we went on the Wish, they would lock my daughters MB+ in place and they would remove the lock every time she left. They also issued her an oceaneer band in the club when her MB+ died....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter