Kids race thread

miracledaughter

Earning My Ears
Id love to hear feedback on people's experiences with the kids races. Have your kids done the dashes? Are they worth it?

Which race weekend are you considering? This might help with feedback as the Kids Races are logistically VERY different depending whether you are at WDW or DL.

Wine and dine 2016. Unfortunately, i couldn't get into a race myself, but there are still openings for the kids. I'm staying either at dolphin or contemporary. I want to get them interested in running, and what better way than a Disney dash? I'm just worried that it'll be overwhelming to get over there, run, nap, then maybe typhoon lagoon or hotel pool.

I've done Marathon Weekend Kids races the past two years. My daughter was in the diaper dash the 1st year and the 100m dash this past January. Neither day was good weather. In 2015 it was super cold and she didn't have any fun. In 2016, it POURED rain and she didn't have any fun. However, I haven't let the weather define the experience too much. I think logistically they seemed to be a bit scatter brained. In 2015 they were on the ESPN WWOS track which seemed like it worked alright. But in 2016, they did them on the grass of the ESPN WWOS soccer fields. Not sure why the change, but it didn't seem to flow as well from the soccer fields.

With that being said, we've signed our daughter up to do the 100m dash again when we're back in January. She enjoys the medal and talks about it all the time since we've been home. I'm hoping for better weather. My daughter loves running up and down the hallways of our house in her own simulated races and I know she enjoys the experience of racing like her dad. The one downside is it can make for a long adventure for a race that only lasts a minute or few because of the travel to ESPN, then being there and racing, and then the travel back to the hotel. All in all it's like 1-2 hours for a one minute race. But it's still worth it to me.

@DopeyBadger hit on the biggest point - the trip just to WWoS for the Kids Races can take quite a bit out of your day, if you're having to rely on Disney Transportation.

If you're renting a car, it's a completely different experience.

@DopeyBadger hit on the biggest point - the trip just to WWoS for the Kids Races can take quite a bit out of your day, if you're having to rely on Disney Transportation.

If you're renting a car, it's a completely different experience.
I wonder if a cab would be better? To save myself (and my husband, who isn't a runner and won't understand the hassle) time and aggravation, maybe worth extra expense

I have read in Wiki that the kids aged 5 and above develop faster when they take part int these activities as compared to kids who don't. So I have started taking my son to these community races that take place every month and he seems to love it!

I agree, they are a significant chunk of your day. My 2 youngest boys did the mile on Saturday during Marathon Weekend and I think we were back in the parks around 3.

They loved it though. Loved the atmosphere, loved the race, loved the medal and loved their t shirt, so that made it worth it.

One thing I was surprised about was how much of a cluster it was actually getting my kids from the finish area. There was no organization and it just felt like parents were wedging and elbowing their way to the front to get he attention of the RunDisney staff who could then go find their child. Maybe this was unique to my day, because in the 2 RunDisney events I've done everything has been so well organized and executed. This was a complete opposite of that.

We'll keep doing them as long as my kids want to do them, but given the choice I'd rather spend that time with them in the parks.

Both my kids are running during marathon weekend. 100m and Mickey mile.

DD9 will just turn 9 and she can be a little timid. How is the race as far as being out of eyeshot and having markers up for where they are supposed to go.

Also when do they usually release the maps and itineraries for the weekends?

We are at Epcot the day before and I figured we would have to leave by 5:00 to make it to pick up our packets. How much time should we need. In the past it has it listed that the expo closes at 8:00 the first night. We also will have our own car.

Both my boys have done either a dash or the Mickey mile on all the marathon weekends we've done. We usually schedule it on the day of the 10k so we have our afternoons freed up. Up until this year, it was always great weather and the kids loved the event! We rent cars and stay at a villa in clermont so travel in and out is quite easy.

My kids have done the Mickey Mile at both Marathon Weekend and at the Star Wars Dark Side Weekend. It was obviously cooler in January, but they had fun at both races. My daughter actually won the mile race this year, and they do a good job as the kids are coming to the finish line. The only negative I would say about the kids races is that I have never seen any character picture opportunities. With all the space they have out at WWOS, you would think they could set up some areas for the kids to get pictures with characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter