Kids on 'leashes'

Okay I will be honest. I am not a fan..but NOT in a judgemental way. My older DD would scream like you were kidnapping her if you tried to secure her in the stroller and insisted on walking. She was walking around 9.5 months and running by 10-10.5. She only started liking the stroller once her sister came along at 23 months. We went to disney at 15 months with 4 adults. She would sometimes sit on the ground if you held her hand. While she usually stayed with an adult and did ride in the stroller she was the type to suddenly run and squeeze in spots no adult could fit. I had a monkey backpack one for the trip (rather a safe kid than a lost 15 month old.) Well I used it all of 10 mins before removing it bc it felt unsafe. She thought bc she had it that it meant she could run. So she would try to take off and end up falling back on her bottom. So I was concerned she would hit her head. Additionall in crowds we had people not pay attention and while she was like 1-2 feet away people would try to squeeze by and get caught on the rope. I see your DC is older but you might want to talk with them and remind them that they have to stay right next to you so that doesn't happen. I also wouldn't recommend it in crowds.

You can find monkey, lambs, lions backpack on amazon. You might want to try it out first at the zoo or someplace similar and see how you like it and if it works for you. I know I never needed one for DD#2 she was never a runner and always held my hand and still does whenever asked. I think that if you have never had a runner or a child who doesn't want to hold your hand you don't know what it is like. And might not "get" it. You need to do what keeps your family safe. Not every child or family fits into the same mold so don't worry about what others think and just do what is safest for your family.

I used a leash on my younger DS, who is now 14. He was just a wanderer, and hated being tied into a stroller. It worked out perfectly for us, he was able to think hr had freedom, and we always knew he couldn't get very far.
There is a perfectly good reason why manufacturers make leashes for children- better a leash than a trip to the er, or worse.

The belief by many is there are more than just those two options.

I would never chose to put my child on a leash, but that's me. I also didn't put cabinet guards on our cabinets. All kids are different and we all use different parenting methods.

I used a plush monkey from Walmart, and it made life much more enjoyable! DS felt like he had some freedom, and I felt like he was safe. He HATED strollers or holding hands he wanted to be feww, and even the 6 feet this gave him satisfied that desire!

I used a harness and leash with my son 40 yrs ago. I'm sure peoples opinions back then were not as open minded as most are today.

I'm not so sure. Some version of other of leading strings have been widely used for thousands of years; it seems like they've only fallen out of favor in the last couple of generations. People were probably MORE used to seeing them 40 years ago than they are now. My parents used them, and their parents before them. I look at it as an insurance policy.

with my 6 year old, never needed it, with my 2.5 year old we have one and he doesn't like it, so then he generally stays by us, but I don't care what people think or say- it is a huge place, and I would rather him NOT get lost!

I've personally never seen the need for them. Until my son came along He's not my first and I'm the oldest of six so I have a bit of experience. I also never had to lock cabinets or similar with my older children. This is the child who at 10 months opened a bathroom door, climbed the counter, reached over to the window ledge and drank the oil in the reed diffuser.

I just wanted to add, for the OP that these child harnesses can also be found at Walmart and online through Amazon.

When I first saw the title of this thread my first reaction was "Uh oh". But I am SO happy to see that this has already gone to 4 pages and remained not just civil, but downright supportive. :cool1:

He might like the plush backpack style leash or the 'hold on' leash. The hold on leash requires him to hold onto a ring so it is possible for him to drop it and run. But it generally keeps him close to you and sets a boundary for how far he can go without you.

With our daughter, we tried a pink backpack leash and she absolutely hated it. Then we tried a plush Mickey Mouse one and she hated it, also. So I just keep an eye on her and stay prepared to give chase if she isn't in the stroller.

Ironically, she loves wearing her pink backpack if the strap isn't attached.

My DD2 is a wild card as well. She's getting better however when I travel alone with her, especially at an airport, she wears a pink backpack with a leash or just a plain black Munchkin harness. I introduced her to it at home and made a bit of a game with it. She loves it and while I don't need it hardly anymore, I will be packing it our next WDW trip. Also, an ID band is invaluable in case they make the great escape.

We also have dogs so she knows the concept and while that may sound sort of "OMG" to some, I could care less. You can watch as closely as humanly possible but all it takes is a half second and her safety is worth more than opinion.

As a parent, you make choices that suit the personality and behaviors of your kids. YOU know them best and Disney can get crowded and that is no place to have a runner set-off. A good friend of mine had her young son take off on her in Fantasyland last year. It was scary for her.

My child has worn the pink puppy 'leash' from Target in Disney World. She had that running mentality at around 18 months. I brought the "leash" on that trip and again at about 33 months, but she didn't really need it then. I had it 'just in case'.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

We never had to use one because we used a stroller for both kids. But I am another poster for do it if you think you need it and who cares what those nay Sayers think. Its not their child or their choice and guess what you will not be the only ones there with a child on a leash. :thumbsup2

I'm 100% in favor of any "leash/backpack" type things. I see them all over the place at Disney World, among other places, and I would much rather see a cute little monkey backpack keeping a child safe and close to their parent than seeing a very scared and lost child in a huge crowd.

I have a four and five year old and was a little concerned about that when we went for Christmas and my five year old runs but we took the stroller (my 4r yr old is lazy) and they stayed in that most the time.

LSUfan4444 said:
The belief by many is there are more than just those two options.

I would never chose to put my child on a leash, but that's me. I also didn't put cabinet guards on our cabinets. All kids are different and we all use different parenting methods.

Thank you for your veiled judgement on my parenting methods. To each his own, I guess.
The leash worked for my son, as did cabinet locks, safety caps on meds, door handle guards, outlets covers, vaccinations etc.
Fortunately, there are preventive measures so we don't have to ever know what the alternatives would have been.

My DD is a clinger, so we never needed one. But she has a friend who, if she was my kid, would probably still be wearing one now - at 7 yrs old. It would either be that or an early grave for me! She's a serious flight risk, a climber, a runner and she ignores anyone telling her to stop.

Fortunately, there are preventive measures so we don't have to ever know what the alternatives would have been.

And fortunately, there are methods of teaching and guidance that involve more than just prevention.

As I said before, every kid is different and the methods we use to raise them vary just as much.

We are going to disney in Feb and my DS will be 23 months. We purchased the mickey one and have been practicing at home . He loves to "take mickey on a walk". We took our other DS when he was 2 and didn't need anything but stroller... My two boys are so different!!! Whatever keeps them safe!

LSUfan4444 said:
And fortunately, there are methods of teaching and guidance that involve more than just prevention.

As I said before, every kid is different and the methods we use to raise them vary just as much.

Hmmm.
Not every kid will respond to teaching and guidance quick enough to prevent injury.
When your kids were just learning to walk, wobbling around like little drunks, you didn't either pad or remove coffee tables with sharp edges? If not, it's just luck that they didn't lose an eye.

We are going to disney in Feb and my DS will be 23 months. We purchased the mickey one and have been practicing at home . He loves to "take mickey on a walk". We took our other DS when he was 2 and didn't need anything but stroller... My two boys are so different!!! Whatever keeps them safe!

Aww, until you posted this I forgot that when we got the harness, it had Elmo on it, and when I explained it to her, I said she could take Elmo for a walk. We used it only briefly, but that brought back a warm memory for me. Although when she didn't want it on anymore, she said, "NO Elmo walk, NO!" *sigh* It feels like yesterday and a million years ago all at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter